Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with place to stay for a large group in Lisbon

Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

OK, I give. The wonderful house we found is a deal because the location is not great.

Where can 4 couples traveling together spend a week in Lisbon at a reasonable price. If we rent a house we could use 3 bathrooms...yest we are spoiled. We loved the idea of apt. How can I find 2 2 Bedroom apartments that have 2 bathrooms in the big middle of things. We are looking at March 2012.

If a hotel is the best way to go, just let me know.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 07:13 AM

Hi, teach905,

Yes, I agree with a lot of the other information posted about your Santos location (except that it is not at the docks, it is up the hill overlooking the river on the same street as the National Art Museum). But it is out of the way a bit and will only have bus accessible, no metro no tram. So, it does sound like it wouldn't be the best place for daily touring.

One bit of advice would be for you to start doing some searches on this forum itself (just try "apartment Lisbon" in the search box and you'll find a lot). There are quite a few people here who have very happily rented apartments in Lisbon for a week or so, and their postings here are a good place to start. Nikki and Sher are just two of those who come to mind who have lots of good information on apartment rentals in central Lisbon.

You have plenty of time to do this, as March is not high season. Since I have lived in Lisbon for two different academic years, I have not rented a short term place, but I know the city well and would be able to react to particular properties.

Good luck with this!
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 12:20 AM

Try checking out ownersdirect.com and Home Away Holiday Rentals. Some of these owners have two or more apartments in the same building. I have used both of these websites quite successfully.

If you're going to be on foot, I would recommend the Chiado, Baixa or Barrio Alto areas. They all have good access to public transport - bus, train and taxi - as well as good sightseeing on foot.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 05:27 AM

Hi teach905.
Once when traveling to Lisbon in August we wanted a two bedroom, two bath appartment but could not find one because they were all booked.
I do not know what your budget is but one suggestion is Brown's Luxury apartments which are located in the Baixa and are studio apartments with a bathroom and kitchenette. The only problem is that there is not a gathering place for all of your to get together. The studios are nice but small.

I would highly recommend www.chiado-apartments.com
Paulo has at least one apartment building in Chiado which has two bedrooms and two bathrooms and another with one bedroom and one bathroom. And by this time he may even have something larger. You will not find anyone better to rent with. Chiado is a wonderful neighborhood with everything you could want...shopping, cafes, sights, transportation. Contact him. His apartments are top notch.
I hope you love Lisbon as much as I do.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 07:06 AM

Hi, Sher,
I was hoping you'd chime in. Thanks for the reference to Chiado apartments. Was it you who recommended the Baixa House? http://www.baixahouse.com/en/ It's a whole building of apartments and is very highly rated on tripadvisor.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/VacationR...tremadura.html
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 08:04 AM

No. I have never stayed there. And I would like to caution you. Trip advisor says that there is no AC in that house.
Lisbon can be very warm depending when you are going.
IMHO you may need air conditioning any time from May to October.
It is always nice to come back to a nice cool room after climbing the hills sightseeing.

While you are searching take a look at www.travelingtolisbon.com. They went out of their way to try to find us something the last time. They could group you in two apartments in the same neighborhood.

As CYESQ says it is really a good idea to concentrate your search in Baxia and Chiado. Barrio Alto is good too except it has a lot more hills.

Let me know how you make out.