Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with Paris Apartment (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-paris-apartment-662116/)

jofrommelbourne Dec 3rd, 2006 12:36 AM

Help with Paris Apartment

Hello everyone! We are searching for a nice apartment for 1 week next May. Our budget allows for the following 2 apartments listed on VRBO -
No.88987 in the Louvre area - 600 Euros per week
No. 94989 11th arrondissement near the Marais - 500 Euros per week.

Has anyone stayed in either of those apartments or - do you have any recommendations for other apartments at that budget level?

We need cable TV, Queen size bed and an elevator in the building and - QUIETLY SITUATED.

Thanks any help would be appreciated.

jofrommelbourne Dec 3rd, 2006 05:01 AM

ttt

stokebailey Dec 3rd, 2006 12:34 PM

Well, they both look very nice to me. For our family, I'd pick the one in the 11th, and retreat to a more residential area. I like being around everyday shops, for groceries and the like. The Angelina Tea shop near the Louvre one is beautiful and pricy.

jofrommelbourne Dec 3rd, 2006 01:31 PM

Stokebailey thank you for that advice - that gives us a bit more perspective. The one near Maurice Gardette Square seems to be quite a bit more spacious too.

We will probably book that one unless someone comes up with any better recommendations.

Hagan Dec 3rd, 2006 01:56 PM

Well, I'm a big proponent for location, and I'd say that the Louvre one wins on that aspect hands down! You really can't go wrong there. It's so great to be able to walk to the major sites if the weather's nice, and also to be so close to metros and buses. If there's just two of you, I'd vote for the Louvre.

jofrommelbourne Dec 3rd, 2006 02:54 PM

ttt

jofrommelbourne Dec 3rd, 2006 06:47 PM

Further comments or recommendations anyone?

So far the opinions are evenly divided - need a tie breaker. ha ha

stokebailey Dec 3rd, 2006 07:01 PM

Do you think you'll cook much, use traiteurs/delis? Or are you more likely to go to restaurants? We are the former types, and quiet at night was a big issue for us, so we chose a more out-of-the-way option in the 15th, and were happy with it, but getting around took longer.

You may also want to go to www.pagesjaunes.com and try to get a look at photos of the facades of the two addresses. You can check out adjoining buildings.

I must admit that being across from the Tuileries sounds tempting, and of course closer to the river. Maybe someone else who knows the Square Gardette area will chime in. I'll bet you could flip a coin and do fine either way. The street near the Louvre, of course, is a busy one, but the apartment faces a courtyard, so that shouldn't be an issue.

WillTravel Dec 3rd, 2006 07:02 PM

Have you tried the method of looking at http://www.pagesjaunes.fr at the streets where the apartments are located, and seeing how you like the areas?

It's very hard for anyone to tell you whether these are quietly situated without any information about the streets - it could easily be either way.

stokebailey Dec 3rd, 2006 07:14 PM

Sorry. Of course WillTravel is correct that is :pagesjaunes.fr.

stokebailey Dec 3rd, 2006 07:15 PM

OH, no. I couldn't put one of those obnoxious smiley faces in if I tried. Double sorry.

fishee Dec 3rd, 2006 07:23 PM

Christina usually has very strong (and useful) opinions on apartment rentals, maybe she'll see the thread tomorrow.

jofrommelbourne Dec 4th, 2006 03:24 AM

Wow! I have just been playing around with the pagesjaune. What a wonderful system - thank you so much for the hint.
Stokebailey - we actually like cooking or at least taking something home from the deli. We will have been away from home for about 6 weeks by then and will be a bit sick of eating out every night. France is a good place to do this because there is usually a lovely selection of take home goodies available.

Anyway thanks for your helpful suggestions - really appreciated. Perhaps Christina will have something interesting to add.

stokebailey Dec 4th, 2006 06:40 AM

I wish we currently had this dilemma, but our next Paris trip will be awhile now...
You might also consider posting again, if no luck, with "Square Maurice Gardette" or some other identifier to catch the eye of someone familiar with that neighborhood.

stokebailey Dec 4th, 2006 06:48 AM

We were able to eliminate some apartments using pagesjaunes, based on excessive graffiti in one case and lively-looking night spots in another.

fishee Dec 4th, 2006 06:52 AM

PatrickLondon told me to use pagesjaunes -- it's really wonderful isn't it?

Travelnut Dec 4th, 2006 07:43 AM

If I were going for an apartment, I'd assume the reason would be for added comfort over a hotel room. The one in the 11th would most definitely be more comfortable than the one in the 1st - it has better seating and separate rooms (for example, I like to read after hubby goes to sleep). Also, it has the appeal (to me) of offering a calm retreat from the tourist hoards which roam the central areas of Paris. The little park looks very nice and the area is surrounded by several metro lines (didn't check the buses). We aren't the types to go out and come back several times a day, though - we go out, then go 'home' and explore... only to sometimes go out again for dinner. Otherwise, we find restaurants in 'our' neighborhood. If you want to pop in and out of your hotel/apartment, then you might prefer the one by the Louvre.

Mimar Dec 4th, 2006 07:56 AM

I notice the apatment in the 11th has a washer (which maybe includes a dryer?). Whereas the one near the Louvre doesn't. One of the conveniences of self-catering acommodation is being able to wash clothes at home during touring downtime. But apartments with a washer are rare in Paris.

So add that to your consideration.

On the other hand, we go for central hotels, etc, because we sometimes split up to follow our own interests. It's nice then to have a place nearby to go back to, hang out while we wait for the other person to return. Then go out again.

Just adding some other thoughts.

Michel_Paris Dec 4th, 2006 08:43 AM

Asssuming the amenities are the same and the price almost so, you are going to judge it based on how you are going to spend your trip. If this is your first trip to Paris and you are going to be spending all/most of your days going to see the sites, the 11th appartment is near 3 different metro lines, with 2 that would get you directly to Opera/Champ Elysee/Eiffel (Trocadero). But it will mean that everyday you will need to use the Metro to get places. Not a big deal, but something to consider. The 1st appt. would allow you to do more walking. If you are planning on some "off" days, the 11th would be nice because you could hang out, go to the local butcher, pastry shop, go to the park for a picnic,etc...There will be few tourists, so you will get a better feel for how an everyday Parisian lives, can find your own small cafe for morning coffee, local restaurant, etc..The 1st place will be much busier and not offer quite the same experience. I got back from Paris a couple of weeks ago and I stayed out in the 16th, nearest tourist site would be the Eiffel tower. There were no tourists around and it was a different experience. But, the only drawback was the somewhat long metro ride back to my hotel everyday.
Hope this helps,
Mike

christy1 Dec 4th, 2006 08:48 AM

I would focus on other things when choosing between the two. Have you asked for references for each place? Contacting people who have stayed there would be helpful (and also it would reassure you the properties are being represented fairly). Also, does each place have an in city contact? What if you lose your key or the washer leaks and floods the apartment? A contact in the city is invaluable.