Reload this Page >

Help with packing list for 3 weeks on the Greek Isles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 03:13 PM
martha

I didn't have the nerve to ask advice on this topic before but after seeing the post on packing for Italy and the supportive responses I am going to give it a go. I'm planning on taking 2 pr.of shorts,1 pr casual pants,1 pr capris,1 skirt,1 sundress, alight cardigan ,7 tops (tanks,tees,long sleeve),bathing suit,coverup, 1pr Naot sandals,1 pr ballerina flats along with wind/waterproof light jacket. Everything mixes and matches and the basic color is black with rust and floral accents. I am also taking the usual toiletries,daypack,camera,passport,money,converter for eletrical things etc,etc,etc. Thanks for any advice in advance. Martha

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 03:30 PM
Thyra

Martha, when are you going to Greece? A lot will depend on that. I just got an email from my contact in Greece (we are leaving in 3 weeks for Islands as well) who said that it's already starting to get chilly, (not cloudy or rainy, just chilly) if you are planning on leaving sometime in the next few weeks or October you may want to bring another pair of long pants and maybe cut back on something else. That was all I thought that could change, but as my Greek Friend emailed me, Just because is is chilly now, doesn't mean it won't get really hot again.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 04:24 PM
sandi

I have learned to always include a calculator for figuring out the $$ exchange rates! Maybe its a duh! thing, but I just finally got it!

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 05:54 PM
Martha

Thanks for the quick responses girls. Thyra I'm leaving on Saturday and doing Mykonos,Santorini,Crete and Rhodes in that order.I wasn't going to but maybe I'll thow in a pair of jeans just in case. Sandi, I've bought a travel clock with a built in calculator because I always mean to bring a calculator but always forget. Thanks again.

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 12:50 AM
caroline

Hello Martha, <BR>Don't worry, if you miss something, you can buy it in a shop or in a market, and you'll have a souvenir... <BR>Have a nice holiday <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 2000, 07:58 AM
lisa

Sounds perfect to me! I agree you might want to fit in one more pair of long pants/jeans if you have room, in case it's chilly.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 06:34 AM
Susan

We just got back yesterday after spending 1 week along the Turkish Mediterranean and 2 weeks in Greece (Athens, Naxos, Santorini and Rhodes). I took 2 cotton dresses (t-shirt fabric which rolled up well), 1 casual short skirt, 1 casual jumper which combined with my t-shirts, 5 t-shirts and 3 pairs of shorts. For shoes, I had 3 pairs - all fairly casual. I took a sweater, which I used 1 evening. (Also the usual underwear, etc. etc.) I was very happy with my clothing choices - I felt I had enough not to feel I was wearing the same outfit every day. In the city, I could wear either the dresses or the short skirt. In the evening, I usually changed out of the shorts into a dress. Shoes I alternated so my feet were fine. I did wash out the t-shirts by hand (as well as underwear) a few times. I sent the shorts and skirt to the hotel laundry in Santorini and that was a mistake. I didn't specify that I wanted them pressed, so they came back totally wrinkled. I sent them back for a press, but I doubt they used a steam iron. (Laundry was expensive also - I guess I should have expected that.) <BR> <BR>I was totally happy with what I took and will take the same again when we do a similar trip. <BR> <BR>There's a lot been written on the forum about how Europeans dress versus North Americans. On a beach, we all look the same (many of us not that attractive - so much for the myth of the slim Europeans!). There were many Brits, Germans, Scandinavians, Belgians, etc. in Greece - literally couldn't tell who was who until they opened their mouths and spoke. <BR> <BR>Almost forgot - we also had 'water' shoes - we spent time on beaches and they were essential in parts of Turkey and Santorini, either because the sand was so hot or there were sharp rocks. If you're planning on spending time on the beaches, don't leave home without them.