HELP WITH OPEN JAW CAR RENTAL

Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

HELP WITH OPEN JAW CAR RENTAL

I am planning a Zurich to Paris trek & have found no big difference in car rental rates if I planned Paris to Paris. Everyone was warning of a big drop off charge but rates for Paris/Paris or Zurich/Paris are roughly the same. Am I missing something?!
Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:15 PM

probably - we did Geneva to amsterdam and were charged an extra £150 drop-off fee = I should read the small print if i were you..It may be something as simple as they haven't picked up that this is what you want to do - when we went to pick up our car at geneva, the desk hadn't realised that we had booked a one-way rental and had to change all their plans to give us a german car - ended up that we got up=graded for free, though.
Why not phone and ask them?

Best wishes, Ann
Jan 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM

Yes---as annhig states, the drop charge is quoted separately from the rental rate. Make sure that it is included in the quote.

We paid U.S. $500 to drop off a car in Copenhagen instead of driving it back to Oslo. Didn't know we would be charged until we got home. So be sure and ask, and get it in writing.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM

It depends on the countries. Sometimes if they are neighborhing there is little or no drop-off charge. Sometimes if it's a place they're unlikely to get the car back from (like Denmark), or a place they don;t want the car to be (like Italy) the charge will be much higher.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:17 PM

I agree that (1) you should ask the car rental company to make sure and (2) it could be that there is no drop charge. I'm renting a car from Spain to France this Spring, and found to my happiness that there will not be any drop charge. In fact, the only place that I've visited where I recall having a drop charge is the time we picked up in Italy (Florence) and dropped in Beaune, France.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:16 PM

I looked at Auto Europe and unless I missed something, I agree with PeggyE for travel between France and Switzerland.

I got a price difference of about $50 for one way versus return in the same country.

That was for a 1 week rental.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM

I'm not sure that the drop charge would be included in a price estimate generated on AutoEurope, though. Autoeurope's website says something like "additonal fees may apply".

We are renting a car from Gemut (contact with Autoeurope) with pick up in Germany and drop off in Bern. The drop off fee is about $200, as much the cost of the four day car rental (Still cost & time effective for our party of four adults versus dropping the car in Germany and taking the train to Bern)I don't think that fee came up when we did our own searches on Autoeurope.

It's always best to call and get the definate price, so you can plan using real information. You won't know if your missing something until you do.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:51 PM

I would venture to say you have not been quoted the drop off fee and may find a big surprise waiting for you in Europe.

Visit www.autoeurope.com for INCLUSIVE rates - no surprises.

ALSO: important - do NOT forget to stop by a AAA and get your IDP International Driving Permit. France is touchy - not "technically" required ... but if you don't have an "official" translation of your license - cie la vie ... game over.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:10 PM

I just checked with AutoEurope.
For a pickup in Zürich downtown and a return in Paris downtown, the added drop fee was stated to be about $200 US.

That is in addition to the posted rental rate for a mid size car.

The rental was quoted as being through Europecar.

SO hopefully that will amend my earlier post. I thought the fee was shown; it was NOT as I just learned.

So yes, ASK how much extra you are going to be stuck with before you get stuck.
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:20 PM

You might investigate whether, when hiring a car in Paris, dropoff charges apply if you leave it at the French side of Geneva airport. From which it's a relatively painless, if not amazingly short, railway journey, changing at Geneva Cointrin, to Zurich.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 01:34 AM

>From which it's a relatively painless, if not amazingly short, railway journey, changing at Geneva Cointrin, to Zurich

Not even that. Most trains start in the airport (Cointrin = airport) and go through to Zürich and beyond.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:43 AM

flanner - I think you meant to say, dropoff charges will NOT apply for a car picked up in Paris and dropped on the French side of Geneva airport..(?)
Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

wow, thansk for all the information. I called AutoEurope & they quoted me a $275.00 drop off charge (3 week rental Zurich to Paris)but the total still came to roughly what a 3 week rental in France was quoted. All considered I will get it in writing & even if it is some more it sounds more interesting to fly into Zurich & spend 3 weeks driving from there thru Switzerland & southern France up to Paris than making a big loop Paris to Paris. Well how could any of it be bad!
Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:46 AM

Sounds like a great trip. Glad it worked out for you!
Jan 28th, 2007, 03:13 PM

The international one-way drop charge will not show up on the quote you get from Auto Europe's onsite booking engine. I suggest you phone Andy of gemut.com (800-521-6722) or ask for a quote at their website (www.gemut.com). These guys are pros, give the best service around, and will match or beat any price. I've heard because of their volume, Auto Europe gives them better prices than are offered at the AE webiste. Kind of like buying an airline ticket from a consolidator rather than directly from the airline. We have people from our company who go to Europe several times a year and we use them (gemut.com) exclusively. We tried others, these guys are the best.