Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with Northern Italy Itinerary please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-northern-italy-itinerary-please-870264/)

megdean Dec 19th, 2010 01:59 PM

Help with Northern Italy Itinerary please

We are travelling to Northern Italy next August and would appreciate advice on the following itinerary. (We have already been to Rome, Tuscany and Florence areas.) I'd appreciate comments regarding logic, time allocation at each place, etc. We want to be relaxed and take our time, but I am worried it is too much time in a small area. Thank you!

Day 1: Arrive into Milan around noon
Day 2: Depart for Varenna on L Como (should we spend an extra day in Milan?)
Day 3: Varenna
Day 4: Varenna: travelling the area, hiking, maybe checking out Lugano
Day 5: Drive to Santa Margharita - stay there for 2 nights, hiking, see Portofino
Day 6: Genoa visit
Day 7: Drive to Bologna
Day 8: Bologna - Modena, Parma
Day 9: Verona area
Day 10: Verona area (Mantova/Mantua)
Day 11: Verona area
Day 12: Head to Venice for 3 days, then fly home

MoonGirl Dec 19th, 2010 02:07 PM

Critical question: are you planning to drive or train around to all of these destinations?

re: Days 2-4: Lugano is probably within striking distance of Varenna, but why go out of your way to do that when Lake Como itself has many towns and sites to offer? I'd stick to the lake you're on, and see it well -- or at least as well as you can in 3 days!

Good luck!

MoonGirl Dec 19th, 2010 02:11 PM

p.s. sorry I now see a reference to "drive" in the middle of your itinerary, so that question is presumably answered

jgg Dec 19th, 2010 02:33 PM

Personally, I think you are trying to do too much. With 15 days you are staying in 5 different places. Too much moving around for me. We did a somewhat similar trip last summer (Bologna, Lakes, Dolomites, Milan). We spent two nights in Milan at the end of our trip and really enjoyed the city, but really don't think you have time for that - in fact coming in at noon, I would recommend you go straight from the airport to Varenna and not spend a night in Milan - you really won't have anytime to see much and you will get another day out of it for the rest of the trip.

I would really try to add more time to Bologna it is a wonderful city. Also, we did drive to Lugano one day from Bellagio - we actually enjoyed the drive and the city, but it took the better part of a day, so not sure I would make that a priority for you.

BTW, we stopped in Verona for lunch on our way from Bologna to Dolomites and really loved the city - wished we had spent a night there. HOwever, it is much smaller than Bologna so I might switch some days there with days in Bologna.

Michael Dec 19th, 2010 02:45 PM

Ravenna is an excursion from Bologna and should not be missed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7622914503405/

megdean Dec 19th, 2010 04:07 PM

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, we are driving. Based on jgg's comment we will probably make Day 9 Bologna instead of Verona. Personally, I agree with going straight to Varenna, but others in our small group feel differently. I shall encourage them to skip Milan, given our limited time. And we will check out Ravenna (nice photos!).

Following are some of the hotels we are considering (we want to try to stay under 150 Euros per night, and 2 star hotels are fine.) Any comments or additional ideas?

Varenna: Eremo Gaudio, Hotel du Lac (may be over our budget)

Santa Margharita area: Nuova Riveria, Grand Hotel Savoia, or Villa Gnocchi

Bologna: Antioca Residenza d'Anglio, Albergo Drapperie

Verona: Hotel Aurora, Hotel Torcolo, Hotel Victoria

My husband and I are actually heading home on Day 12 and our friends are going to Venice for a few days. We are planning on taking the train from Verona to Milan, spending the night at an airport hotel, and flying out the next morning.

Michael Dec 19th, 2010 04:38 PM

You might want to consider Il Perlo Panorama above Bellagio instead of staying in Varenna. As long as you have a car, its distance from the town is not a problem. In Bologna we stayed at the B&B Miramonte. Both establishments can be googled. You might be interested in my trip report. Just click on my name to find it. It's been a few years, so prices have changed, but Il Perlo Panorama lists prices that are less than 100€ per night for a three night stay.

yestravel Dec 19th, 2010 05:21 PM

I agree that you're doing too much in the allotted time. We spent 2different trips in the ares you r exploring and found plenty to c and do. I also stayed at Il Perlo Panorama and it was a deal.

jgg Dec 19th, 2010 06:36 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Metropolitan in Bologna and really enjoyed it - helpful staff and great location. It is in your budget. http://www.hotelmetropolitan.com/

annw Dec 19th, 2010 09:41 PM

I would consider Bellagio instead of Lugano, personally. Would slow the pace a bit too.

I absolutely agree that Ravenna should not be missed, since you will be in Bologna. Many make it a day trip, though I've been twice, once for a week long mosaic course, and I much prefer staying over.

megdean Dec 20th, 2010 04:26 AM

Thanks to all for your feedback and hotel ideas! We will certainly incorporate them into our plans.

TDudette Dec 20th, 2010 04:48 AM

I'd remove a day from Verona and add it to Bologna/Parma area-but that's just personal opinion. Otherwise, I think it looks good. My hubs and I stayed at the Sofitel directly across from the train station in Bologna and it made day trips very convenient.

In Milan, the Duomo is exceptional (the 3rd largest in the world???)-if you had a couple of hours to fit that in, you wouldn't be sorry. Arriving at noon might make it a hassle. Also, if you wanted to see "Last Supper", you'd need to book ahead. Just depends on your desires.

Sounds like a really special trip.

yestravel Dec 20th, 2010 08:45 AM

I agree u need more time in Bologna esp if u plan to do a day trip to Ravenna which is fabulous & should not be missed. But u can easily spend a day in Verona (we were there 3 days) and a day in Mantova (we stayed there 3 days also). Also from Verona u might want to check out Vicenza which I loved. So taking a day from Verona will shortchange u also. The whole area is really great and there are tons of interesting towns and villages to check out. I suggest u read about the different towns and decide what appeals to u and allot your time accordingly.

megdean Dec 20th, 2010 09:01 AM

I think we need to add another 2 weeks to the trip! Or face the fact that we won't see everything and will have to return in the near future. Not a bad thought.... :)