COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with my itinerary for 1 month in France

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Cheral

Planning my trip April 2-May 2 to France. I'm hoping for suggestions with my itinerary - the last time I was in France was with high school group in 1974! This time I'm travelling alone. I loved Paris (who doesn't) and Provence. I think I would like a base in the South but there are so many choices - and should I go there first and then spend the last part of my trip in Paris? Also wondering if renting an apartment/studio might be the way to go. Thanks so much.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Rex

A month! Wow! How wonderful!

Base 1 - www.campagne-jeanne.com

Base 2 - www.chateaudejonvilliers.com

And that still leaves you half of your month for countless other great ideas.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 07:16 PM
jane

We had a wonderful stay at La Rivolte in Grasse- kind of in the midst of the bigger cities in S. France near the coast- you should check out their web site: http://www.larivolte.com/house.html. Get the Jasimine room if available. Wonderful place, wonderful memories. I particularly liked the roomy rooms, as well as the ability to use the kitchen to fix your own dinners. Wait till you see the bathroom and patio w/ this room. One Other favorite (we're going back this summer) is La Magnaneraie, 37 Rue Camp de Bataille,
Villeneuve Lex Avignon (near Avignon)- you won't eat anywhere but the hotel- it's fabulous.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Wendy

Dear Cheral~

An entire month to discover France? Marveilleux!

I write travel itineraries for France and Italy...have lived in France for 12 years and would love to help you. If you feel comfortable sharing a few details first?

What do you have confirmed already? Are you basing yourself in cities and explore the c'side? What are your interests? Antique? Food Markets? History? Art? Wine/vineyards? Gardens? Prehitoric caves? Architecture?
Are you renting a car or taking the train?

Lastly, if you are planning on a month in April, please forgive me for saying that this is a very popular time in France to travel...I'd strongly urge you to make some confirmations now before your itinerary depends on what is available?

Looking forward to hearing from you-
Wendy

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Sue

Do a search on Provence on this forum--there's lots of good info. St. Remy de Provence has been recommended as a base. It is centrally located, close to Avignon, Nimes, Arles. I'm assuming you intend to rent a car?

There are also lots of good chambres d'hote (B&B) in Provence, so you could stay several days in an area and move on. See websites www.beyond.fr www.provenceweb.com and www.luberon-news.com (Peter Mayle country).

Since you are traveling alone, might the interaction of a hotel/B&B be better than renting an apartment? How's your French?

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Cheral

Thank you for responding to my question. I have nothing confirmed except for my flight! My interests vary - history, art, gardens, markets, antiques. I don't want to be travelling and sightseeing every day so that's why I decided on a month. (Plus it will be my last chance for an extended vacation since I'm going back to University in September) Hoping for some r&r in the south I don't think I will rent a car unless absolutely necessary. At the moment I am really wondering if I should spend a few days in Paris to get over the jetlag (10 hours from the westcoast of Canada) - then travel south for 2 weeks, and then spend the last part of my trip in Paris. (I'm thinking of weather) I'm also wondering if I can allow some flexibility or should everything be confirmed? And no, I don't speak French other than my although I can manage menu's, street signs and such. I have been reading guidebooks but just discovered this forum last night and have already found it to be incredibly useful. Again thank you - I look forward to hearing more thoughts and opinions.
Merci - Cheral

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 02:49 PM
clairobscur

It's a very open question...so open that I tried to answer it, and couldn't.So, I'm going to limit myself to some advices :

-Begin with Paris. You could be tired at the end of the month, and you'd better not to be to enjoy Paris. The rest of your trip should be more relaxing.

-Read a guide, choose some very different regions and then come back to seek advice about a specifical area. Some suggestions : Loire Valley, Brittany, Dordogne, Toulouse-Pyrenees area, Provence, Alps, Burgundy, Alsace..

-And the most important, in my opinion : consider seriously renting a car. There's a lot of wonderful places everywhere you'll have to spend hours in inconvenient transportations to
go to (at best) or be plainly unable to see (at worst).
Train is great as long as you intend to visit only major or medium-sized towns, but the beauty in France rest mainly in its little medieval villages, ruined castles, secluded abbeys, scenic coasts, etc...
You'll certainly enjoy french towns, but you'll miss a lot.Even some must-see are not easy to visit without a car (examples : loire valley castles, Mont St-michel island, Lascaux cave,Verdon gorges...).

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 06:46 PM
Kelly

Wendy -

You sound like a wealth of information. I am planning a 2 week trip to France 3/22-4/5 based in Paris (staying at a friend's apartment). I love art history, antiques, history, food, wine... I am thinking Normandy, Loire, Arles, Avignon, Burgundy, Reims... What would you suggest? Help! I am a little overwhelmed trying to plan this because every part of France sounds wonderful, but I only have 2 weeks (and I need at least 4 days in Paris and 1 for Brugges).

Merci.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Cheral

I have finalized my itinerary - quite a feat. As a former travel agent, I thought it would be easy but there are so many choices!
I would advise anyone thinking of going to France to research, research, research. Think about what you want to see, narrow it down (you can't do it all!) I'm an amateur photographer and art lover, especially the Impressionests, so gardens and art musuems were my main focus, along with lots of time to relax. This is an holiday after all.
April 3 - 10 Paris, Hotel de Fleurie
day trip to Giverny, Palm Sunday service at Notre Dame, shopping and see the main site. Walking tour x 2.
April 10 - 20 Paris to Nice by train, rent car, La Colline de Vence B&B (found it on Karen Brown's romantic B& B) Nice - flower market, Raoul Dufy Museum etc, Grasse, Monaco, exploring by car
April 20 - 27 train to Avignon, rent car, La Maison de St Remy B&B located within the walls of the old town. A chance to experience village life. Markets, sightseeing around Provence, Museums
April 27 - May 1 train to Paris, Hotel de Fleurie. Concentrate on day trips, perhaps Giverny again (the garden will have different bloom times), Chartres and Reims. (I love Cathedrals) Last minute shopping.
May 2 - Au Revoir, Paris
Just wanted to thank Elaine for her notes, they are excellent! and thank you to Wendy for her Paris suggestions.
Cheral