Help with Moderately-Price, Centrally Located Hotel in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does one select a centrally-located hotel in Venice? For example, several have recommended the Pensione Accademia, but is it centrally located? We're looking for a moderately-priced (100-150 Euros/night or less) property. Others have suggested Locanda Orseolo -- but again is it central?
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:22 AM

We used Locanda Sturion, located right at Rialto Bridge. Very nice and should be in your price range. Here is the link
http://www.locandasturion.com/

Now, one word of caution. You have to climb a long flight of stairs to get to the hotel as it is on the upper level of the building. If you have problems with climbing, or are lugging tons of luggage (which you should not be) this could be problem.

The hotel has easy access to everything.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The location of Locanda Orseolo is great. It is about a 1 minute walk from Piazza San Marco where the Duomo is located. We walked everywhere in a reasonable amount of time.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Locanda Orseolo is very near to Piazza San Marco (just a couple short blocks away). However, I believe your visit is in Sept (?) which may be considered high season for room rate. If so, the rate will most likely exceed your budget. If that is not a deal breaker for you, I'd suggest contacting them ASAP for availability as they have become very popular and rooms there may be in short supply. If a room is available for your dates, don't blink ~ grab it ~ you won't be disappointed.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:27 AM

If there's a hotel that usually recommended on this board, then you can rest assured it is in a good location, close to major areas or close to public transportation. Venice is small and extremely walkable.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:28 AM
ira

Hi K,

You can find the location of your hotel by entering the address at www.vimichelin.com or www.mappy.com.

You might want to consider http://www.hotelbernardi.com/en/hotel.html

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:40 AM

I agree that it can be hard to get a fix on a city before you've been just by looking at a map. Something that looks close may be farther than you're imagining and vice versa.

I was recently in (bella) Venezia for the first time and stayed at Pensione Accademia.For me,the location was wonderful.It was a comfortable walk and/or vaporatto ride from everything I wanted to see,but felt a bit more peaceful than the area surrounding Piazza San Marco or Ponte Rialto.I can strongly recommend it.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 06:58 AM

i second ira on bernardi...i've booked them for may at 90E for a double. great location and good reviews (look at tripadvisor.com). what dates in venice as it makes a huge difference.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 11:06 AM

Awhile back we stayed at Hotel Canada.
www.canadavenice.com. Lots of stairs to climb as the hotel is located on the upper floors. Good basic accomodations and pretty well located. We even had our own little balcony. Very clean and well kept. As I recall the breakfasts left something to be desired though.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:48 PM

Try Hotel Riva. It's a one-star (apparently went downhill sometime in the early '00s, but I just stayed there and it's apparently had some work done), about 5 minutes from San Marco, about 10-15 minutes from the Rialto, and $120 euros a night for a corner room overlooking the intersection of two canals full of gondolas. (Try for a corner room -- I'm told some of the others are pretty small).

I loved this place - it was better than the "better" hotels we stayed at in Siena and Rome.

Caution: They don't accept credit cards, so you have to pay in cash or by travelers check.

Check out: www.hotelriva.it.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:50 PM

I liked La Forcola, a 3* hotel:

http://www.laforcolahotel.com

You'll have to decide if it's central enough - I really liked the location, though.