Help with March, 2007 Trip

Feb 17th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Help with March, 2007 Trip

I'm going along with my husband on a business trip to Germany next month (March). We'll have a rental car. He has a meeting in Weisbaden on the 19th and Ettlingenon the 20th. His meetings are over on the 22nd and we fly home on the 28th so we need places to see and stay after the 22nd.

We'd like to see Rothenburg ob der Tauber (is this the medival town??), Black forest, Esslingen (couple we're travelling with have family history here), Fussen (castles), but are open to any and all other ideas and need help with planning the route, other places to visit, and hotels.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can lend!!
Feb 17th, 2007, 04:15 PM

Rothenburg ob der Tauber is the oldest walled city in Germany. If it interests you, then by all means go. It's about 200 miles (2 hours drive) from Frankfurt airport. Well, actually it isn't that far but you can cover a lot of ground on the autobahn. It's really easy to get there from FRA. One night and a few hours on either side are plenty. Fussen is about a 3 hour or so drive to the south of R ob der T. Neuschwanstein is a bit of a disappointment and personally I would not encourage anyone to take the time to see it. It isn't finished and can be covered up in tourists although probably not so in March.

Not far from Fussen is Oberammergau, sight of the once per 10 year PASSION PLAY. Park and walk around there for an hour or so and have a coffee. 10 miles or so from there is Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It's touristy but that's fine. It's also stereotypical of what we think of as Alpine-Bavarian. You'll see some locals in their Alpine "uniform." It's real, not a show. The Zugspitze is right there - highest peak in Germany. -about 10,000' and beautiful. You could take the cog railway up to the top but it'll take you all day to do it. Mittenwald is just to the east of Garmisch and worth a visit and a walk about for a couple of hours.

Spend a night in Freudenstadt, Black Forest and drive the Schwarzwald Hohenstrasse (or is it Hochstrasse?) B-500. It's the main tourist drive throught the Black Forest.

Be sure to study up on your Euro road signs when driving. Keep right except to pass. Drivers passing have the RIGHT-OF-WAY in Germany even though you are in front. This seems a little unusual to we Yanks but it's part of their emphasis on speed and getting there. Always wear your seat belt, too.

Greet people with Guten Morgen or Guten Tag (Gruss Gott in Bavaria) and you'll do just fine.
Feb 17th, 2007, 07:16 PM

It seems to me that you are driving a long ways and using precious time just to see a castle in a country full of castles. As you are going to Esslingen anyway, why not visit some castles in that area.

I recently had some questions on Trip Advisor about Burg (Castle) Hohenzollern south of Stuttgart. You might take a look at some of the replies that I got.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...rttemberg.html

Regards, Gary
Feb 18th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your feedback!! There are 4 of us travelling together and we're open to anything on this trip so if you can suggest an alternate itinerary that'd be great. We would also need hotel recommendations for locations we visit.

I forgot to mention that we land on March 15 in Frankfurt so we also have until the 18th to sightsee (and then again from the 22nd to the 27th as we fly home on the 28th).

We must stay in Weisbaden the evening of the 18th for a business meeting the next day. With that said, can anyone suggest a nice hotel in Weisbaden that is within walking distance to shopping and sights? A friend and I will be on our own during the day while our husbands are working.

Search this Thread