B&B in Doolin, Ireland

Search

B&B in Doolin, Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B in Doolin, Ireland

Please help me decide on a B&B in Doolin. We’ll be there in August, for 1 night and would like to have a view of the ocean.
The ones that I’m looking at are:
- Aran View – is this within walking distance from town? Too much of a ‘hotel’ feel rather than a B&B?
- Sea View House
- Atlantic View
- Cullinan's Guest House (although I don’t think they have a view, their breakfast sounds delicious
Thanks
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Stayed at the Seaview house in 2005.It sits up on a hill and when its clear you can see the ocean.
Click the link for a shot of Doolin that I took from the Seaview house.

http://tinyurl.com/3ayt7u

Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:01 PM

There is no town of Doolin. Three Pubs not withing walking distance of each other and a row of cheap shops.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:45 PM

We stayed at the SeaView House in July. We were suppose to stay more than one night, but changed our plans after checking in. First, I must state, I was very disappointed in Doolin. Doolin was on the top of my list to visit. Then in the SeaView house we could hear the people in the next room in their bathroom. (if you get my drift, they weren't being noisie, I think the walls were just thin. We did not feel comfortable there at all, even so that we gave the woman 24 hours notice we were not staying and she wouldn't refund our prepaid stay. Which was ok because we wanted out of there and it was her right to keep it. But as we all know what one person doesn't like someone else probably loves. This was just our experience. I hope you like Doolin, you couldn't pay me to go back.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM

I will comment about Cullinan's. They do not have an ocean view. Instead there is a view of the river. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Food is excellent.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Hi xyz:

I've stayed at the Atlantic View twice and it is quite comfortable. Many of the rooms look out on the Cliffs of Moher and the others look out on the Arans. One looks out on both. This is a guest house, not a B&B which is slightly more hotel like, but the difference is not that great. By the way, there is another Atlantic View B&B on the Cliffs of Moher Road.

Cullinan's has an excellent reputation.

hester's review of the Sea View is the first negative I've heard. It generally gets very good reviews. That said, Doolin in July and August would not be my first choice. It's a village whose infrastructure has a hard time dealing with that level of tourism. As a village, other than the three pubs which consistently have music (something you can't count on everywhere), there is very little to do in Doolin. It is, on the other hand, a good jumping off point for seeing other things.

The pubs will be very loud and if you having any hope of hearing the music at that time of year, you need to get there very early and stake out a spot next to the musicians.

Many people hate Doolin, others love it. The crowds can certainly be an issue and I wouldn't want to visit in July or August.

Bill
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Lovejoy, thanks for the picture – Doolin looks so nice (I understand it’s small, just a few houses, but so what?); I also enjoyed all your other Ireland pictures.

IrishEyes, wojazz – thanks for the comments on Cullinan's. I think we will give it a try.

Wojazz, you mentioned 2 different Sea View – is this the one you stayed at http://www.accommodation-cliffs-of-moher.com/ ?

I understand what you are saying about Doolin in August, but for us it will just be a place to stay close to the Cliffs of Moher for the night – the next day we’ll drive to Dingle for a few days stay there – so we are just trying to minimize the drive. If we can get a nice dinner in a pub and some music, that would be awesome. We’ll be there on a Tuesday, hopefully not a lot of crowds. Thanks again.

Old Jan 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM

I have to weigh in on Doolin. I have stayed there many times. I make it a point to go back each time I visit.

Yes, it is overrun with tourists in the summer but so is everywhere else in Ireland. Doolin is so much more than three pubs and a row of shops. There is hiking along the cliffs, Ferries to the Arans, Cliffs of Moher Cruises, Doolin Caves, Craft shops that sell the works of local artists.

I have stayed at the Doolin Activity Lodge and loved it there. I have stayed at Daly's House, http://www.dalys-doolin.com/doolin.aspx, and felt like a favored neice. The people of Doolin are some of the friendliest you will meet. the music that is played in her pubs is some of the best. McGann's being my favorite pub of the three.

It is a small village. Don't expect to find the things you would find in larger villages and towns, such as ATMs, grocery stores, petrol stations.

Slan Go Foil,

Bit Devine
Cowboy Craic
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 01:32 AM

We stayed in Cullinan's in October 2005 and really had a lovely night there. The room was extremely clean and the breakfast was lovely. McGann's is within walking distance (great stew and craic!)
If you want to peak inside the room I have a link, only wish I had taken a picture of the breakfast too, but we had met up with another fodorite couple and had such a good time talking that we didn't think to do pics at breakfast!
Have a great time!
Dawn

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/dixielyn...60762387551830
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Dawn,
Thanks for the pictures – I enjoyed a lot the others, too – just a preview of what is waiting for us in Ireland

I think we’ll go with Cullinan’s.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Hi xyz,
Don't be discouraged. If you like traditional music your heading to the right place.The Sea View is clean, comfortable, good breakfast, and best of all after a great night of fine music and several pints you only cross the street from Gus O'Conner's pub and you are home.O'conner's has a good dinner selection, try the smoked seafood platter. You can go for dinner claim a table and stay for the music. You are a very short drive to the Cliffs of Moher, and located in the Burren, a magical place to explore, hike, walk.Take a ride in the area, get a little lost around every corner is a view not to be missed, or a shop you should visit. Doolin may not be filled with shops and restaurants but the music, the pints,the scenary are memories you will have for ever.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 07:54 PM

We stayed at Sea View last year and were pleased. Clean room, good breakfast, friendly host. Doolin is what it is ...not much too it, but a couple of very cool pubs and a lot of good music.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:00 AM

xyz-
glad you liked the pictures. I do want to give you a heads up- I had 2 maps and directions from Cullinan's and while we did not have a problem finding Doolin or Cullinan's there was a few minutes of worry as everything seemed as if it would be much closer on the maps. It was a long drive from the main road while looking at a map that shows it as if it is a stones throw from the main road.

Also, while Mc Gann's is the closest pub, again the map will show it right next door. It is, 1/2 mile down the road past the cows and other houses in between.

advice:
Carry a small flashlight if you walk back from the pub...there are really no street lights and it can get dark. We made lots of friends leaving the pub as I always carry a mini flashlight in my purse- felt a tad like the pied piper.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 03:34 PM

Hi xyz:

Sorry it took me so long to get back. Busy week.

That is actually not the Atlantic View that I stayed at. The one I stayed at is musch closer to Doolin and is owned by the family that runs one of the Aran Islands boats. It's at:
http://www.doolinferries.com/atlanticview.html

They are the last thing really before Doolin Pier. The one you are looking at is closer to Liscanoor. It looks nice though.

So here is an all important tip on hearing music. Wherever you go to eat is where you should listen to music and get a table early and stay there. It can get very noisy. Gus O'Connor's actually has mics for the musicians but they pick up more crowd noise that music. McGann's has a number of rooms also and again, even with mics, you can really only hear if you are close. Get a table and eat slowly and drink all night. The good news is that Guinness is very low in alcohol (really) so drink your pints slowly and sit back and wait. Music usually starts no earlier than 9:30. Sometimes Gus has an afternoon set, but those are usually unannounced.

The flashlight suggestion is a pretty good one. I noticed driving through town that a lot of walkers never considered that they might be run over in the dark. Don't wear black! I nearly killed a few.

Bill
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:52 PM

Should you choose Cullinan's, be sure you have dinner there one evening. It is excellent.

You also should be aware that two of their rooms on the river -- first floor in the newer section -- are very desirable, but if you have a choice, go with the room on the west. We booked both for our family and the eastern room is extremely small, with a shower smaller than those in most cruise ships.

Other than that, you cannot go wrong -- unless, of course, the fog rolls in and the cliffs are invisible. Alas, that was our fate for three days!

JimF
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Wojazz,
Thanks for the ‘real’ Atlantic View link and the tip on music. I like the idea of eating slowly and drinking all night
We need to drive to Dingle the next day, but I’m sure we can stay late for some good music!

Dawn,
I’ll make sure we pack a flashlight. And no, we’ll not wear black…we still have a lot of places to visit after Doolin.
Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 03:37 PM

just another chime in on doolin...

we stayed at cullinan's this past june-great breakfast-loved the chocolate chip scones and the lemon/honey pancakes...everyone was quite happy with their choices.

very easy, quick stroll to McGann's and McDermott's is just down a wee bit further(we stopped in for a quick listen before we headed home).

At McGann's we enjoyed great stew, mussels, and apple crumbs pie w/ice cream...and our fair share of guinness

I agree with the flashlight being a good idea, but we made it safe and sound. I love how you can walk down a country lane a couple of minutes from your cozy little B&B to a great pub full of great people, pints, and music...priceless.

here are some doolin pics you can check out...

irelandjune2006.shutterfly.com
doolin pics are 110-113

here is extended version of pictures doolin pics are 211-227

ireland2006pictures.shutterfly.com
password is vinegarhill (the name of my "Irish" pub band which you can learn more about at vinegarhillmusic.com)

if you fancied going to O'Connors, it wouldn't be too much further in the other direction. we could see the B&B we stayed in 3 years ago and it was just 5 min. from O'Connors (maybe 15 min. from Cullinan's)

p.s. the drive to dingle the next day via the ferry is not too bad...very scenic.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Chip,
Thanks a lot – The Cullinan’s breakfast sounds delicious!!! And loved your pictures, too.

JimF,
I emailed them, but I forgot to ask for the western room on the first floor – well, I’ll do that after I hear back from them. Thanks for the tip.

Now, I have another dilemma: we’ll be in Doolin one night only. Should we have dinner at the Cullinan’s (assuming we’ll end up staying there) or head out, have dinner at a pub (chip, McGann’s dinner makes my mouth water already) and then enjoy the music?

Since everybody recommends going early for the music (just to get a close seat), I suppose it’s not a good idea to go there late, after dinner at the Cullinan’s....what would you do? Thanks
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:28 AM

xyz-
I vote for McGann's.
IMHO-I like to do things differently than I do at home. I love DH, but I can go out for a great gourmet meal with him anytime in L.A. I would much rather enjoy the craic, food and trad in a stone walled pub with a singing waitress and a group of new friends!
...besides, you'll be there for breakfast!
Dawn
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:01 AM

With only one night in Doolin, McGann's would have my vote. Their Irish stew is some of the best I have ever eaten! My brother and I shared a bowl, which is evidence of the large serving, as he has a healthy appetite. By having dinner early, savoring each bite to recall in the future, and claiming a table for the night's music, you will experience the best of Doolin in the one night that you have there.

Slan Go Foill,

Bit Devine
Cowboy Craic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -