Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with London itinerary. What to do on Sunday? Quality not quantity!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations? Limited time &amp; I hope our energy levels are up to it. Any comments on our plans? What to do on Sunday? We're near the VnA Museum would love something very English but don't know that I care for &quot;decorative art&quot;. Thanks!<BR><BR>FRI Mar 14<BR>Arrive in South Kensington hotel. nap, stroll, (Visit Brompton Oratory, perhaps to Harrods) light dinner.<BR><BR>SAT 15th<BR>National Gallery. First one in the door… last one out. Has any one tried the Crivelli’s Garden? Or should we eat lunch outside the museum? Afterwards, stroll and see the sights (St Paul’s is a must).<BR><BR>7 PM We have tickets to Le Mis tickets at the Palace.<BR><BR>Sun 16th Day &amp; Night-Suggestions? <BR><BR>Mon 17th (my 50th Birthday!)<BR>A full day at the Courtauld Institute of Art. Stoll and se some sights.<BR><BR>7 PM We have really good tickets to The Royal Ballet (Sleeping Beauty).<BR><BR>Tue 18th Leave early in the a.m..
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:01 AM

Some people take day trips to Cambridge or elsewhere on Sunday because nothing is open in the morning. You can use that time to travel instead of wasting prime sightseeing time during the week to take the train. You could also go to church.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Attend Matins (morning service) at Westminster Abbey or St Paul's. Especially if it is a sung service. If there aren't too many people, it's often possible to sit in the Quire, which is an amazing experience.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 07:58 AM

One thing that is open on Sunday morning is Spencer House. It is the historical home of the Spencer family (Princess Di, etc) but they haven't lived in it for decades. You can see it by guided tour only, and it is open only on Sundays. It is gorgeous, a restored miniature palace. I went last Feb, can't wait to go again.<BR><BR>By the way, the V &amp; A has a vast collection, it's not just silver and dishes. It's actually several museums in one. If nothing else, go through the recently-installed overview exhibit, the name escapes me, but it covers about 500 years, from Henry VIII's writing box to contemporary advertising campaigns.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 09:08 AM

The Courtauld is wonderful (I wish more folks went there) - but an entire day there? Not necessary. <BR><BR>As for the Nat'l. it is worth an entire day - but not at one go. It is free so it might be better to stagger your visit - spend a few hours - then go back another day. The collection is so vast you will be spinning - and exhausted if you stay all day long. Crivelli's is fine - a little higher pretensions than execution. But I usually eat there IF I can get a window seat so I can look out over Trafalgar SQ and people watch. Two other places to consider - the restaurant on the top floor of the National Portrait Gallery. Good food and a great view of Big Ben, the Eye and the rooftops of whitehall and the south bank. Or the crypt of St Martin's in the Field. Both of these are actually closer to some part of the Nat'l than Crivelli's over in the Sainsbury wing.<BR><BR>With your obvious interest in art DO NOT MISS the V&amp;A. the Raphael Cartoons alone would be worth your visit.<BR><BR>You also might want to include Tate Britain - the Turners and other collections plus the frequent special exhibits are worthwhile.<BR><BR>If you want to visit St Pauls (and be able to look around rather than attend a service) you must be there before 3PM. After that they start to rope off areas in preparation for Evensong. So go in the middle of the day.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 11:04 AM

If the weather is nice on Sunday, you might want to go to either Hampstead or Greenwich. (You can do either of them in not-so-nice weather, but they'd be more enjoyable in good weather because so much of what there is to see in both places is outdoors.)<BR><BR>Hampstead is easily accessible by the Northern Line. The village and Hampstead Heath are delightful to walk around, and you could also visit Kenwood House: a beautiful neoclassical building which contains a great collection of paintings (mostly 17th and 18th century). It's open every day, including Sunday.<BR><BR>There are several different ways to get to Greenwich, but probably the most scenic way is by boat. Depending on what you're interested in, you might want to just wander around Greenwich Park (London's oldest royal park), or visit the Queen's House (designed by Inigo Jones in the 17th century), the Royal Observatory, the National Maritime Museum, or the Cutty Sark (all of which are open on Sunday).
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 11:20 AM

Crusty, (it's hard to imagine someone named Crusty spending a full day in the Courtould Institute of Art!)<BR><BR>We will be spending exactly the same time frame in London one week before you. For Sunday I have the Museum of Natural History (very close to your hotel), Westminster Abbey and the Cabinet War Rooms. Also, I'm hoping to catch one of the Sunday London Walks. I've done the Jack the Ripper already, and while I thorougly enjoyed it, I'm glad I did it before the swarms of people started ruining it. But there are so many other interesting ones to chose from.<BR><BR>Happy Birthday! What a great way to spend it.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 01:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Grasshopper,<BR><BR>Are you planning on attending services at Westminister? I believe it's closed for touring on Sunday.<BR><BR>Have a great trip!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I will move that to Friday. I've already been to a service there and while it was very moving, I'm more interested in my daughter seeing the tombs. For anyone interested, tours are suspended on Monday the 10th of March.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 08:34 PM

Evensong at St. Paul's cathedral is very interesting.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 03:21 AM

The Courtauld Institute won't take you all day. The quality of the art is very high, but it's not a very big exhibition.<BR><BR>It is in Somerset house which also has the Gilbert Collection (Objets d'art etc) and the Hermitage exhibition. You can get a combined ticket for all of these, which I would recommend.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 03:31 AM

Greenwich is a great Sunday jaunt- and definitely take the Boat ride up the Thames -even if it is raining---<BR><BR>Greenwich is a neat town to walk around in...lots of outdoor flea markets,restuarants,and a naval museum--<BR><BR>Will take you 1/2 day to do Grennwich....
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

We arrived back from London late Tuesday night. Back to reality. I'm not yet quite at the phase where I start researching our next trip. Just wanted to jot down some comments on our trip for what they are worth.<BR><BR>London was wonderful. Weather was perfect, bright and sunny with highs in the 60's during the day a bit nippy at night (Florida nippy that is). Enjoyed at least two great meals but admit to having dinner at Berger King one night (and I recommend their vegi-burger). Spent one night in a Pub... wonderful.<BR><BR>Round trip to Victoria Station was 21.5 pounds per person. Like everything in London a bit overpriced. <BR><BR>We caught a taxi to our hotel in South Kensington. Lots of fun driving on the left side of the road. <BR><BR>The Adelphi Hotel was nice enough though the room was tiny. In the future I need to make sure that I get twin beds or a queen sized bed. I don’t do well sleeping in full sized beds. An I must remember to bring my own pillow. Other than that that the hotel a good value(price including VAT was 70 to 80 pounds per night). Excellent English Breakfast was included in our rate (include beans for breakfast... go figure). located 2 blocks from the Gloucester Tube. We enjoyed local walks to the Albert Monument, Kensington Palace, Albert Hall, VnA Museum, and the Brompton Oratory. I never got to see Harrods (though we did buy some stuff from their outlet at the airport and that is plenty good enough for me).<BR><BR>I Liked London, one of the most livable large cities I've ever been to with its beautiful parks, neighborhoods, and friendly people. <BR><BR>Le Miserables at the Palace Theater was wonderful. It’s been difficult getting that music out of my head. I was amazed that half of the audience wore jeans. A fellow sitting in front to me was leaning forward so it was difficult to see without leaning forward which meant that the guy behind me would not see, etc. Luckily, the guy in front of me was given the boot because he was in the wrong seats. <BR><BR>Sunday, we attended a mass at the Brompton Oratory. Beautiful church and beautiful choir. Then we went to the VnA. Very interesting museum. <BR><BR>We took the tub the Embankment. To our delight we found ourselves in the St. Patrick’s' parade in London. We walked over the walking bridge to the south embankment. Beautiful views of the city. At 4 pm we had high tea at a lovely restaurant. They would not let us into The Ritz Hotel because I did not have a tie and jacket. <BR><BR>On Monday, We started of at the Courtauld Institute of Art located at the Summerset House. It is one of the best small fine art museums that we’ve been to. A bonus was that it is free on Monday before 2pm (usually 5 pounds). Later on we went to St. Paul’s. I choose not to pay the 6 pounds entrance fee. Looked like many other churches to me regardless who is buried there. <BR><BR>Monday night was wonderful. We went to the Royal Opera House. Everyone was dressed beautifully. Our seats, purchased over the internet were excellent. 77 pounds each! The ballet, A Sleeping Beauty was incredible: beautiful costumes and set; the music and dance were magical.<BR><BR>Flight home on Virgin Atlantic was half empty so we were able to stretch out and sleep on the home.<BR>
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 09:04 AM

If you are up on Oxford street you should have lunch at the Wallace Collection. It's the best hidden restaurant in London. It's free to get into the museum (very small) and it has a covered courtyard in the middle with great food.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 09:13 AM

Speakers Corner. One of my top starred attractions on the last trip. Probably not for everyone.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 09:20 AM
ira

Hi<BR> I second the V&amp;A, despite the apellation &quot;decorative art&quot;.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 10:49 AM

Crusty: Thanks for the report - it is nice when folks who get a lot of suggestions take the time to let everyone know how things went. Sounds like you had great weather. I was startled re one thing tho' - &pound;77 was OK for the Opera House, but &pound;6 was too much for St Pauls. It REALLY is not just another church. But you did see a lot and it sounds like you had a great time.<BR><BR>erica and harvey: Crusty is already back from his trip! - He posted the trip report just before erica's entry. So these new suggestions won't be very helpful to him. IM ever so HO it is really a good idea to read the whole thread, not just the first post, before adding info since much changes in the give and take.