Help with London Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We only have 3 days in London before we depart for Paris. Not ideal, but here is what I propose to make the most of it for a 12 and 16 year old on their first trip to England.
Day one Tuesday in March
Arriving in Gatwick at 7:30 am, due to the moring commute planning on taking a cab in lieu of train/tube to hotel. Once we are checked in I plan to board the Orignal Bus Tour and take the yelow route so kids can rest and get an overview of the city. Tour includes Buckingham Palace, Piccadilly Circus, Big Ben, London Bridge, St. Paul's Cathedral, Tower Bridge, The Tower and Westminster Abbey. We can jump off and plan to at as many stops as the kids can handle.

Day 2
Tour Tower of London
Imperial War museum
London Eye
leaving room for things we didnt get to see on day 1. Need advice on whether we should try Chinatown (We leave near San Fransisco and have been to Chinatown in NYC)

Day 3 Final day
National History Museum (highlights)
Kensington Palace
Hyde Park
Harrods
Notting Hill/Portobello Market

Possibly the theatre for the evening of Day 2 or 3 but havent seen anything we are interested in as yet.

Any suggestions are appeciated!

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Day one: &quot;<i>due to the moring commute planning on taking a cab in lieu of train/tube to hotel.</i>&quot; Not a good idea - the morning commute really doesn't affect the Gatwick Express train much at all.

On the other hand, a cab in from LGW will most definitely be affected and take <u>forever</u>. LGW is more than 30 miles south of London and it could easily take 2 hours in the middle of the morning rush. The train takes 30 mins.

Day two: If you've been to SF's Chinatown I don't see any reason to go to Soho/Chinatown. If you had a week that might be different - but w/ just 3 days -- nope.

Day three: The Market day on Portobello Rd is Saturday so it will just be the normal shops. Not really a high point for Kids. The Natural History Museum is great - but Kensington Palace wouldn't be my choice <u>unless</u> the kids are BIG Princess Diana fans. The audio tour is quite long and wears after a short time. Hyde Park is - well - a park. A very nice park to say the least, but not much to see/do. I'd re-think your plans for Day 3.

I might consider doing things like a river boat trip, or Hampton Court Palace, or the British Museum instead.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:19 PM

You don't want to take a cab from Gatwick &amp; never mind the cost. Take the train.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would the morning commute lead you to take a cab rather than the train from Gatwick? The Gatwick Express is non-stop, and trains don't have to cope with traffic.

First time I've seen London's Chinatown listed as a tourist sight - if you live near SF I don't think I'd bother. For theater tickets don't forget the half-price TKTS booth in Leicester Square (IN the square, don't get seduced by the copy-cats on the way).
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

I have heard that the morning traffic might be heavy and it was suggested that I take a cab, but sounds like the train might be the way to go. Mixed reviews on Chinatown, but I think we will strike that from our plans
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Just to reaffirm the advice already given...Take the train!!!

Also take janisj's suggestion of substituting Hampton Court Palace for Kensington.The British Museum or the London Museum would also be good choices. From the Tower you can take a boat down the Thames to Westminister and then do the London Eye etc.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:13 PM

The three of you can get from Gatwick to Victoria Station or London Bridge Station for &pound;21 if you buy a Southern Trains DaySave pass. (2-4 adults for &pound;20; 1 child @ &pound;1)

It has restrictions. No travel into London before 10:00, but getting through immigration and baggage reclaim might get you close to that anyway.