Help with London Gatwick to Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Late next month my daughter and I fly into Gatwick from Charlotte arriving 8:30 AM on a Friday. We are staying at a new Holiday Inn Express in Slough which is next to the tube station. Any advice on the best train route/connections from the airport would be appreciated. We are not pressed for time and are interested in options to the Gatwick Express if that would make sense. Thank you!
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:24 AM

The bad news is, there's no tube station.

There's no imaginative solution to this. You can hire a car. Or you have an uncomfortable train/tube/train journey that involves hoiking your bags up and down stairs at every stop (First Capital Connect to Farringdon, Circle tube Line to Paddington, any train, then over the steps to the northern exit). Ot you can get a bus to Heathrow, then get a justairports car or similar on to Slough.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:27 AM

Do you have a reason for staying in Slough ? Hoping you don't think it's part of London...
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:30 AM

PS:

Sorry, there IS an imaginative solution. Hourly train to Reading, then cross the station (there IS an escalator at Reading) to take an eastbound train to Slough (nonstops every ten mins or so, taking 10-15 mins)

I don't think you can buy a through ticket for this: you have to buy a second ticket at Reading to go on to Slough. Because you're backtracking, it'll cost you more. But it's a LOT less hassle.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Incidentally, without wishing to hijack this thread totally, there's a deep sadness about modern Britain.

Slough used to be seen as the epitome of all that's horridest about modern non-architecture - though only by people who'd never seen its remarkable Art Deco industrial buildings, or its Grade II listed railway station (easily up to the highest Austrian Empire standards). Someone'll quote the poem soon.

But if you go there these days, it's really quite unremarkable. Its Tesco Extra's no naffer, its multistorey car park no smellier, its shopping mall no chavier than practically everywhere else in England (or Scotland). Indeed it compares very favourably with Inverness.

The world has descended to the low standards the Slough builders set for themselves.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:43 AM

If you look at the web site for this hotel, it gives transportation directions. No tube as flanner says. It's about a mile from the train station.

If you're planning on using this hotel as a base to visit London, think again. The train fare roundtrip into Paddington is about 7GBP. Then you'll have to take bus or tube onward and pay 3 or 4 GBP for that. Say you walk to the station and take a taxi back to the hotel after a hard day on your feet sightseeing. That's another 5GBP. If you want to go back to the hotel and rest up before going out to dinner and/or a play, double the transportation costs -- and time. Restaurant options in Slough are no match for London.

I've been assuming you've chosen this hotel because it's cheap. Of course, you may be visiting close and dear friends in Slough. In which case, all of the above will not apply.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Is there any reason you must stay in Slough?? Is there family nearby or is it a business trip? Otherwise, it is a <u>terrible</u> base for visiting London. That is not overstating things one bit. And it is definitely not easily reachable from LGW. Maybe you are flying out of Heathrow the next day and aren't visiting London at all - just chose Slough because it is near LHR. If so there are still better locations.

So tell us whether you must stay in Slough for some reason - or if you just chose the property for its price/name. Then maybe we can help you.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Caroline and others for your comments and concerns about Slough.

My family and I had really good success with the Holiday Inn Express chain when we stayed at Causeway Bay in Hong Kong earlier this year. Especially re the rates compared to others. The Slough Holiday Inn Express hadn't opened yet when I bought the airline tix and made the hotel reservation just over a month ago. At that point, other Holiday Inn Express locations were booked and our favorite B&amp;B was not available. I called the desk at the preparing-to-open Holiday Inn Express and was told the tube station was right next door and the trip to Central London was 15-20 minutes.

If there are any really big negatives I've missed with this choice its not too late for us to look at options, but we have to watch our budget with USD exchange rates, etc. Availability is an issue, too, from what I have seen. We are in London only thru Monday and just need a clean safe place to stay since we'll be out sightseeing, mostly in Central London, all day. A brand-new hotel with breakfast included in a chain I've had success with seemed very appealing.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/...otelCode=lonsg

Thanks so much for your help and advice! Al
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Let's not get this out of proportion.

It's practically no walk at all.
Hundred yards at most There is a Holiday Inn a mile away - but it's not the one you've booked.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 09:33 AM

BUT it isn't on the Tube system and being out of London you'll have to plan your day carefully if you want to do evening activities in London
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Slough is NOT in London. It is a town northeast of Heathrow and just north of Windsor. It is a fine location to stay the night before an early morning flight out of LHR, or for visiting Windsor Castle. it is <b>not</b> good location for sightseeing in London.

How much are you paying? You would probably do better using Priceline for a Westminster or Knightsbridge/South Kensington zone hotel. Any of them would be MUCH more easily accessed from LGW, and would be in the very center of London - not twenty miles away out in the suburbs.

Check biddingfortravel.com to see what London hotels are going for on Priceline.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 10:15 AM

sheesh - NORTHWEST of Heathrow . . . . .
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

I got it for 44.95 GBP per room per night including taxes and breakfast. The 3 night bill will be 134.85 GBP total.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 11:07 AM
lyb

adding the cost of the tube for both of you to go into London and the time you will spend on the tube, I don't think it's a good value.

Of course, we don't know your entired situation, but if you've never been to London, I think this will be very dissapointing to you to be this far away.

I would really re-think that decision.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Come on folks. I agree that I wouldn't stay at this Holiday Inn Express in Slough on a bet. But then I'm not the one posting this query -- are YOU? What is &quot;good value&quot; to one person is not necessarily the same value to another.

As soon as anyone here can come up with a brand spanking new hotel with breakfast included for 45 pounds a night guaranteed, then go ahead and do so. But until then talking in generalities about other possibilities really doesn't mean a thing. I have yet to see many hotels IN London for double that price that I'd want to sleep in. I think the poster has given us all the information she needed to. And she is obviously not concerned about spending a little time and money going back and forth a couple or three times.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 11:32 AM

I generally try not to repeat what others have said (or at least not verbatim!) but as it doesn't seem to be sinking in, and is really quite important:-

Slough is not any part of London.

Slough is not on the tube.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 11:48 AM
yk

According to the hotel's website, the distance from the hotel to the Slough Train Station is about 1km (0.66miles), so that's about a 10-15 min walk.

The cheapest same-day return ticket from Slough to Paddington is &pound;7. So, if the OP is staying there with her daughter, then she'll have to add &pound;14 to the hotel rate per day (~&pound;59/night).

I'm not saying you can get a great hotel in London for that kind of money, but just want to put things into perspective for the OP. Looking at biddingfortravel.com, it looks like there are winning bids between $75-100 for Jan/Feb. It's definitely worth considering.

Personally, I prefer staying in London and having the choice of returning to the hotel for a rest if I need it.

I know exactly where the HI in Hong Kong is. It is located in an extremely convenient spot with the MTR, trams, buses at your doorstep (let alone tons of restaurants). But unfortunately, it seems like the HI in Slough is nothing like the one in Hong Kong.
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 11:58 AM

According to the hotel's website (it's the NEW HI in Slough, not the existing one), it's right beside the station

Still Slough isn't London and it's still &pound;7 return per person PLUS the cost of travel within London PLUS the extra travel time.

Old Dec 18th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Well, yes there is the major point that the poster was lied to about the tube station being right next door. That certainly needs to be sorted out.

By the way -- not the same thing, but I once spent a week in St. Alban's and went into London every day. St. Alban's is not IN London either, and the train was not cheap. But I ended up having a great time. I didn't mind the hour plus to get in and to get home each day. Would I do it again? Well only if I had a free place to stay. I'd MUCH rather be right in the heart of London. But the point is -- commuting is not the horror some people are making it out to be. And if staying in a brand new place (even if the staff doesn't have a clue where they are) is that important to the poster, then who are the rest of us to say an old half decent hotel in London is a better option?
Old Dec 18th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Sorry. I just came back to see that yes, the hotel does know where it is -- right next to the railway station, so disregard my comments regarding that. I guess that will teach me to accept other posts automatically, assuming it had been looked up. The poster said new Holiday Inn Express, not just the Holiday Inn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -