Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with locating guesthouse in Bavaria?

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

Our family of four is visiting the Munich-Neuschwanstein area for three days at the end of July. We're having difficulty locating a guesthouse (pension) or farm holiday lodging. Does anybody know of a for locating and booking such accomodations?

Many Thanks...
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 05:36 AM

For a farmstay in the area, I would take my family to Gutshof zum Schluxen:
http://www.schluxen.com/

It's actually in Austria (Reutte) but is very close to Newschwanstein, and a good base for touring the area by car. And a nice place to stay.

If that doesn't work, try Garmisch-Partenkirchen:
http://www.garmisch-partenkirchen.de

There are many, many guesthouses in town and around the area. You can check availability on the website.

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 08:19 AM

ttt for bobndona---first time poster, I think.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

What does ttt mean, enzian??

Thanks for the suggestions; the Schluxen seems a bit pricey and I couldn't get the Garmisch link to work...
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:26 AM

ttt means "to the top"

It is meant to pull the post back to the top of the list so that others may see it. enzian was doing you a favor in moving this message back up the boards so others might be able to post with useful info
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:34 AM

We stayed at the Romantic Pension Albrecht, in Hohenschwangau, last May and were very pleased. We had a nice large room. It was spartan but comfortable and adequate. The best feature was the large balcony with a stunning view of Neuschwanstein. The owner was friendly and made us a nice breakfast in the morning. The pension is about a five minute drive from the ticket office for the castles, and is also very close to the town of Fussen. We used this as a base for exploring Garmisch, Oberammergau and the surrounding region.

A few posters have had complaints recently (not sure if there is a new owner or what is going on) so you may want to check out tripadvisor.com for more info, but we were quite pleased with our stay.

Here is the website if you are interested:
http://www.albrecht-neuschwanstein.de/index2.html

Tracy
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:43 AM

OK---the Garmisch link should work if you just click on it---mine does. But if not, you could just google "Garmisch" and find the same website. There's an English option. The website has changed since I last used it to find lodging there, 3 or 4 years ago, but the "availability" option for specific dates is useful.

Coincidentally, the NY Times travel section for today has an article on family-friendly accomodations in Garmisch. The link is too long to post, but I found it when I tried to find a website for one place we liked, Gasthaus Reiter. Google "Haus Reiter Garmisch" and the NY Times article should show up at the top. Two places they list that are better priced than the Reiter are Landhaus Alpenblick and an apartment offered by Familie Karg.

One place in Garmisch to avoid is Haus Sissi---we had a bad experience there (my first and only bad travel experience, actually). But we love Garmisch and there are many other, very nice places to stay. Lots to do for a family, plus it is well-located for seeing the area. Good luck to you.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Hello to all!,
maybe you will spend your holiday in the nice bavarian forest!?
Look at this page http://www.bayerischer-wald-ferien.de
you will find a lot of nice guesthouses!
Best Regards
Gerhard
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Since bobndona were planning to travel in July, this thread is probably of no further interest to them. I wanted to add the following info for those who may pull up the thread in a search for lodging in Bavaria.

Bavaria Ben's website has a wealth of info on guesthouses, small hotels, zimmer frei, etc. in Bavaria. Ben posts on this site at times. Check out:

http://www.bensbauernhof.com/