Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Liverpool Street Station in our way to Harwich International Port.

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking the train to Harwich Int. Port., instead of the Royal Caribbean Bus,
and we are saving around $300.00 in the
train. We are staying in London city, and
would like to know how far in distance is
the Liverpool St. station. Also what Hotel
do you recommend, in London, and not very
far from the train station but centrally located? We are taking
the cruise ship, Jewel of the seas to the
Baltic and when we return, we are going to
Ireland. Any suggestions on getting to
Ireland? What air line? How long? does
it take?
Thanks for the advises.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:22 PM

Liverpool street station is IN the city so i don't understand the distance question.

Great eastern hotel is one of the closest to the station and is one of the hotels i recommend to people without regard to location. since you need to be near liverpool street anyway, it is a "no-brainer".
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:35 PM

Liverpool St station is the largest railway station in the part of London now called the City of London - the ancient Roman settlement, now the area where most financial institutions are based. For some attractions (like the Tower), it's about as central as you can get, and there is a hotel (the Great Eastern) virtually on top of it. It's well connected by tube to most other parts of town.

This may be the most convenient for you, but others will doubtless comment.

For Ireland, getting from Harwich to any airport is tricky, and finding a convenient one may be more important than anything else. The closest in journey time is Norwich (about 90 mins by train, then a cab), which has a few flights a day to Dublin.

Stansted and London City both need you to go back to Liverpool St, and get a direct train for STN (45 mins' more journey) or the tube via Bank for LCY (30 mins). Stansted serves practically every airport in Ireland: LCY only Dublin.

Getting to Heathrow or Gatwick will take you a great deal longer. Go to the individual airports' websites for details of operators. Fares to Ireland fluctuate widely, and don't assume a "low cost" airline is necessarily cheapest. If you've been on a cruise and have lots of luggage, you also should understand the Ryanair and EasyJet baggage rules before booking. Don't rely on third hand accounts, as the rules have recently changed yet again.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advise... and
I have to search more in the Ireland
trip, and look for the details, of
how to get there, hotels., etc.. We
were thinking of visiting Shannon.
Also we were looking at the Kingswall Hotel in London central. Have you
any experienced with this Hotel.,
I think that in Priceline, they have
a very good rate for this Hotel.
Please advise.
Also in our way back from the cruise
I don't know if to go directly to the
airport and take a plane to Shannon.
Thanks for your help.

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 12:21 AM

EasyJet flies to Shannon from London Gatwick
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 01:23 AM

At least two of us have told you that Liverpool St is IN Central London. Where this Kingswall Hotel might be, though, is a quite different matter.

Do you know where it is?
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:37 AM

If you mean Kingsway Hall Hotel, that is in Great Queen St, in Covent Garden. It would be a 15-20 minute taxi ride from Liverpool St on a good day.

What might be confusing the issue is whether you're staying in London for any length of time, or just looking to spend a night in transit between your cruise and flying on to Ireland.

Either way, the most convenient option probably would be to stay at the Great Eastern and take the train from Liverpool St to Stansted. It's a perfectly good location if you're staying for a while as well.

But you can check hotel locations at www.yell.com and local transport options at www.tfl.gov.uk.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:58 AM

I think what's confusing us all if that you ask about staying in London City, and it's true to say that Liverpool Street station is located IN the City, but the City of London is just one section of London (London is actually a collection of 3 'cities' - City of London, City of Westminster and City of Southwark). If you want to stay centrally in somewhere like Covent Garden, then this IS London, but not the City of London, does that make sense? We can't tell you how far it is to Liverpool Street station until we know where you're staying. Anyway, I wouldn't concern yourself with staying right by the station, as it's in the commercial/financial district (think Wall Street) and will be a bit souless at night. It's easy enough to get a cab or tube from wherever you're staying to the station.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 04:04 AM

actually, the liverpool street area is far from being soul-less at night. this part of london is a hot-spot for evening entertainment and is a destination point for many revelers.

i'm not saying you should or shouldn't stay there as your requirements for this stay are far from clear...just setting the record straight on this area.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 06:27 AM

hmmm, maybe souless was the wrong word. heaving bars full of post-work 'suits' might be a better description.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 08:00 AM

"post-work suits"???? --i think your information might be a little outdated.

spitalfields, shoreditch and the truman brewery area on brick lane (all within a short walk of liverpool street station) have some of london's trendiest nightspots. Hoxton is also quite close. these areas are heaving with people at the weekends who make this area a destination...the nightlife is not "owned" by suits looking for a few pints after work.

this area is home to the (somewhat annoying) trendy sets like the turner prize crowd (Emin and the lot) and members of the artistic and alternative communities. these crowds are well known to favour many of the pubs and clubs in the area.

i don't mean to be argumentative but your characterisation of this area could not be more wrong. This area is well publicised as a haunt of london trend-setters (annoyingly so) so i'm surprised that anyone would still think of offices and pubs that close when the suits leave. ...or maybe you haven't been around the back of the station?
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:13 PM

I think you are all being a big hard on the OP as I suspect that English is not his/her first language.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

THANK you for all the replies and acvises. I am sorry that I didn/t explaned better my situation.
I am staying in London for two nights,
and then going to take the train to
Harwich International Port for the
cruise, and coming back I will go directly to the airport to fly to
Shannon.
I am still looking for a Hotel in
London city center.
Thank Youl.
I have read different reviews for
the Kingswall Hotel, some good and
some very bad....
Any suggestions.
Thanks
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 09:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
MNPAGES: As far as I know there is no Kingswall Hotel in London. As PatrickLondon mentioned, could you possibly mean the Kingsway Hall hotel? If not, double check the name of the hotel and let us know which hotel you really mean.

But for your needs, the already mentioned Great Eastern Hotel would be VERY convenient since it is right at Liverpool Street Station.

Some of the posters got off on a bit of a tangent because you said "City of London". The City is a very small part of London - it is a specific neighborhood where lots of banks and major companies have their headquarters.

You really just want a hotel in London -- not necessarily in the "City of London". But Liverpool Street/the Great Eastern hotel actually are in the "City".
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM

ttt
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

My apologies to Prue, for my mistake.
You are right about the Hotel name,
I was up at 4:00 in the morning and
could not concentrate very well....

Now I am thinking about the Royal Horseguards Hoterl, of the
Rubens at the Palace. The one you