Reload this Page >

help with lavender oil in Provence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 07:34 AM
jason

I am going solo to Arles at the end of May and would like to bring back some French lavender oil for someone special. Any suggestions on markets, stores, ... What would be a reasonable price for 8 ounces? Or is this a silly idea (ie, just buy the stuff in the US).

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 07:19 AM
rfh

Will you have a car?

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Christina

I don't know what a reasonable price would be for that, but Arles is very oriented to tourists so there are plenty of tourist gift shops there selling all kinds of stuff. You won't have any trouble finding them, just walk up and down the main streets, like the one leading up to the arena from the train station. I think it's a nice idea, you might also think of buying lavender-scented soaps, these are very nice and you don't have to worry about spillage or breakage. There have nice colorful ceramic items (little pots, etc) that make good gifts, also, some are quite small and easily packed. Arles isn't really known for lavender production, I don't think, that is more on the plains to the NE of there, but I'm sure you'll find that kind of item all over Provence for sale to tourists. Avignon has flower and food markets on Saturdays, if you want to venture there. If you have a car, there is a lot of lavender stuff around Gordes in the Luberson; specifically the Lavender Museum where they have lots of items for sale, including oil (www.museedelalavande.com).

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 07:21 AM
jason

Thanks Christina. I will have a car and a drive to Gordes might be in order.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Carey

Here is a newsletter that I had received about Lavender Fields in Provence. <BR> <BR>http://pages.infinit.net/videotro/ne.../april2001.htm <BR> <BR>I hope this helps. Carey

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Sue

At the Sunday market in Isle-sur-la-Sorgue (about 30 km east of Avignon) there were a couple of stands selling lavender oil (and lavendin oil--cheaper, a cross between lavender and spike lavender). It wasn't very expensive, but I don't remember the exact price. Thus I suspect that you can find it in lots of markets where Provence things are sold. I would buy it there (at the source) rather than in the US. What a nice gift.