Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with itinerary to Paris, Amsterdam and another stop with teens (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-itinerary-to-paris-amsterdam-and-another-stop-with-teens-807839/)

GiacintaG Sep 26th, 2009 12:17 PM

Help with itinerary to Paris, Amsterdam and another stop with teens

We are planning a trip to Europe next summer and had originally planned to spend our two weeks on the Amalfi Coast. However, after doing a lot of research, I've just decided it will be too crowded and too expensive for my family of 4 (including two teenage girls). I think that trip will be easier to do with just the hubby in a couple of years in May or September. I've been looking instead at doing a totally different kind of trip and this is what I have thought about so far:

Fly into Amsterdam for 4 nights (I can't get over how much better the hotel pricing is here vs. Amalfi); another stop for 4 nights; Paris for 5 nights.

I'm just not sure where to stop in between Paris and Amsterdam. I would like it to be appealing and memorable for the girls. I know my husband and I will travel to Europe again but I'm not sure when we will be able to go again with the girls. These are my ideas:
- Bruges/Brussels
- somewhere in Germany perhaps Cologne?
- Zurich
- Salzburg or Vienna
- Prague

I know these last three, are farther out and will require us to fly. I just would like to make sure there is enough to see/do there for the four days. None of us are outdoorsy people. We would be more interested in seeing the sights, some cathedrals and museums, shopping, and enjoying the food. It will be the first time to Europe for everyone except myself.

I would really appreciate any and all opinions! Thank you!

janisj Sep 26th, 2009 12:32 PM

Well - for one thing, I'd definitely spend more than 5 days in Paris. If you really want to hit three locations -- Then A'dam 4 nights, Bruges 2 or 3 nights, and Paris 7 or 8 nights w/ one day trip to Giverney or Chartres or someplace. (I'd personally do the 8 nights in Paris but 7 would be fine)

althom1122 Sep 26th, 2009 12:34 PM

Did you consider London? Given your interests, it would be a great choice. Museums, cathedrals, the food (ok, not so much). But a play would be a great activity with the girls. There's plenty to do there for four days, or you could take a day trip. Of the options you listed, I don't know... not sure there's enough to fill 4 days in Bruges/Brussels (just my opinion). Zurich, no. Salzburg is great, but again, maybe not enough for four days. Prague is great, but has become very crowded in the summer. I'd vote for London. If you wanted to rent a car, I'd consider Frankfurt to Munich via the Romantic Road.

Apres_Londee Sep 26th, 2009 12:36 PM

Of the places you mention, I've only been to Paris, but...my first choice would be 6 nights Amsterdam & 7 nights Paris. There are countless daytrip options from both cities and you could rent an apartment in Paris. Second choice would be Belgium.

I'd rather spend my time sightseeing than mucking about for too long on a train or in an airport.

spaarne Sep 26th, 2009 12:39 PM

From Amsterdam I suggest a day trip to Haarlem.

Antwerp is a good city for your interests. Do Brugge for a day and continue to Paris.

hetismij Sep 26th, 2009 12:39 PM

I think janisj is right - you need more time in Paris. 4 days in Amsterdam is just about right unless you want to see more of the Netherlands, then maybe two nights in Bruges before going on to Paris.
There are plenty of other interesting towns around the Netherlands should you decide to do just a two centre holiday.
If you stick to your original plan then consider the Moselle/Rhine for castles, cathedrals and food.

AJPeabody Sep 26th, 2009 12:44 PM

If you do London to Paris to Amsterdam, or the reverse, you can do it conveniently by train. When counting days, each city and hotel change takes up a big chunk of a day, even with fast trains.

An alternative strategy is to do only Paris and Amsterdam and take several days between them by car, stopping at interesting places along the way. This does risk "Are-we-there-yet?" syndrome, depending on the travelers, however. Also, Amsterdam is a good base for daytrips in Holland by train. The trips are short and the trains are frequent.