Should I spend the star 1,000 in airfare? Need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love to go to Paris the last week in May.
Airfare for Air France and other major airlines is around 2,500.00 for the two of us from NY.
XL Airlines France is starting a non stop service from NY the day we wanted to leave at 1,700 for two.
I've never heard of them and can't really find anything about them.
Has anyone flown on XL?
I think I'd be a nervous wreck because I'm not familiar with the airlines, but to save almost $1,000 is a lot.
Would airfare go down if I waited a little more?
Thoughts and comments appreciated.
Thank
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

has anyone flown XL Air France?
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 11:15 AM

They are not part of Air France, the name is XL Airways France. I've heard of them, they are a budget charter airline, so don't expect amenities or comfort, and I understand you cannot reserve seats and have to pay for everything (even possibly water). Also, the baggage allowance is extremely low so you may likely have to pay a lot extra for baggage. Still, that is a major savings. Also check to see if any travel insurance will cover them, they might not (in case of delays or cancellations). That is a lot of money, I'd be sure to add in all possible fees you will incur (baggage, etc.), and if you really don't care that much about comfort, etc., it might be a good deal. At least it is nonstop.

I wouldn't expect air fare to go down between now and May on regular airlines, I expect it will go up due to oil prices and that it always goes up closer to the departure date as the cheap seats get sold. You can get a ticket somewhat cheaper than $1250 now if you don't go nonstop (such as on Icelandair or Aer Lingus), but for nonstop, I think that is going to be the going rate. But it isn't almost $1000 savings, the quote you gave is only $800 and if you have to pay for baggage or other things, it may be closer to $500-600 or around $300 a person.

I probably wouldn't do it myself, but I hate flying anyway, so flying on a plane that has bad entertainment, no free food or beverages (I don't want a lot, but at least water and coffee), and small, uncomfortable seats that may have problems with the planes wouldn't be something I'd do. I'd rather spend $1100 and stop in Dublin or Iceland to save some money, but that kind of risk just isn't worth a few hundred dollar savings on the flight, even though the nonstop flight is tempting. I think it just depends on your taste for risk and those kind of cheaper charter airlines.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 12:13 PM

A couple of things to keep in mind with charter airlines...

In the US if they don't take off...all they have to do is refund you the money. There is no requirement to do anything else for you. And of course they have NO relationships with other airlines to help out. For example, if my Delta jet breaks while it's going to be a PIA Delta does have relationships with AF, KLM etc...and LOTS more flights to and from the US. If an XL jet breaks... you are at thier mercy as to when they want to get you home.

I tend to avoid charter airlines, but I think as long as you know the "ground" rules they can be fine.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 01:38 PM

I agree with CarolA- consider what would happen if your flight is canceled for any reason. I think the flight you are considering only flies twice a week. There is really not a good plan b to take care of you and your vacation could never "take off".

Maybe you can consider the extra expense of a regular airline as insurance paid for making sure your vacation happens.