Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with itinerary for Munich-Switzerland-Paris

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 03:05 PM
liz

I've enjoyed my first time using this forum for the past few days, and have received lots of great advice already! Now, I need some more specific information on some itinerary options for my 14 day trip this June.

We will arrive in Munich - stay for 3-4 days, then rent a car and proceed to drive south and west toward France. Along the way, here are some possible stops we're thinking about:
- Lucerne , Tours (because we want to see the Loire Valley), Troyes

Then on to Paris. Also, we want to see Ludwig's castle - so should we plan a stop in Fussen, or make that a day trip from Munich????

I've been to Europe before, but never to Switzerland and Germany - and never with a car. So any help or advice about places to see and/or avoid would be helpful.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:29 PM
gb

We're going to Munich in June too (arrving June 11th). I just noted that I got a great deal on a leased car through Renault Eurodrive with a 10% reduction using American Express. We've driven in Europe twice. I hope you get rid of the car in Paris, because you don't need it. We're going from Munich to Innsbruck(we have a free hotel there) for 3 days, then to Salzburg. Then, to Cinque Terre for 3 days. From there we drive to the Dordogne area in France for a week, Loire for 2 days, and 4 days in Paris.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Dutch

I would make the castle tour part of a day trip from Munich. If you can, schedule the musical Ludwig as part of your visit. It's sung in German, but interesting just the same.

I would recommend a trip through the Black Forest with a stop in Baden Baden on the way to Strasburg (? my spelling is shot at this time of day). The people in Strasburg are more friendly than the Parisians and that warrants a visit in my book.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Michael

There is a lot to see between Luzern and Tours, including Troyes if you go via Basel where I would visit the Beyerler Foundation and the Vitra Museum in Weil. If you cross the mountains south of Basel, you will cross Burgundy which has quite a few things to see. Given the brief time, the regional green Michelin guides might give too much information, but the one for France as a whole might be worthwhile to plan the French part of your trip.