Help with Itinerary for Italy Vacation

Old Oct 5th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Itinerary for Italy Vacation

We got tickets flying into and out of Milan and are trying to plan a trip around that for 15 nights next June 11- 27th.

It will be me, my husband, son, daughter-in-law and our 17 and 13 year old teenage boys.

This is what I'm thinking - please critique or offer suggestions:

Fly into Milan and train to Venice (that should be easy I think?)

Stay in Venice from 4 to 7 nights (we want to take it easy and not rush around) Do you think this is too much time in Venice?

Rent car leaving Venice and drive to Umbria for week/rent villa -
What would you recommend as a base for Umbria? We want to see Assisi and Montefalco(wine) What else is recommended? We've had quick stops in Orvieto (would like to go back) Todi, and Deruta - but that's it.

Finally - we need to head back to Milan for the flight out. Do we stop in Bologna, Parma, or stay in Milan? We've never really done Milan, just a little shopping and the Last Supper, but I'd love to see the Duomo - We have not been to Bologna or Parma.

Where is the best place to drop off the car and convert over to train? We definitely don't want to drive into Milan..

Anyway, I've rambled a bit, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Train from Milan to Venice is fairly easy.
7 nights may be too much for Venice, unless you are very particular about it. I would stick to 4 nights.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Veice is worth at least 5 days ,With 3 days in Venice and the other two take the day and go to Brano and another day take the boys to the beach in Lido which both are a short ferry ride and not exp.chk it out on line,I have been to Venice several times and i love it just get away from the square and see the ral Venice.Never been to the other places you menioned so can'thelp you there.
You aren't to far from Belliago which is near Como and the lake are you might ch that out and see if it's doeable for you.Really and awsome place.
Have a great trip!
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Hi PS,

I love Venice and there is much to see. Although 5 days there might be enough.

I think if I were a teenage boy, I'd be bored out of my mind in a villa in the countryside for a whole week - unless there was a pool which might help considerably, but still! Maybe have a backup of active things to do. Would your group or just the boys enjoy horseback riding? Hiking?

They are your kids and you know them, perhaps they have been on your other trips to Italy.

Maybe limit Umbria countryside and Assisi to 4 or 5 days and spend the remainder of your time in either Rome or Florence? Teens seems to enjoy the cities where there is more variety.

Be sure to visit Spello too! Just some thoughts. Buon viaggio!
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 04:53 PM

I'm one of those people that thinks a lifetime in Venice would not be enough. Seven nights would not be any sort of problem at all. Venice is a wonderful place and there are lots of things to do to occupy your time. We were there for a week last year and found plenty to do. I'd suggest and apartment rental in Venice. With so many people you'll find apartments a reasonable alternative to hotels in Venice.Here are a couple of agencies were have used.

www.veniceapartments.org

www.viewsonvenice.com

Instead of a villq, you might also want to consider something in a town. Easier walking access to food and drink and no worrying about driving after indulging in the wine. Small towns may also give the teens a way to pass the time without relying on older folks to drive them places.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions so far -

Here are some answers to the questions

Dayle - We have been to Rome and Florence with the boys - they both loved it. Yes, we are looking for a villa with a pool, but you could still be right - they might be bored. We stayed in Lucca for a week and a half in 2007, but cousins and many family members were there and we had a fantastic pool and huge lawn area for soccer, so they loved it. I'm not sure I'll be able to duplicate that. I will see Spello for sure.

Notbob - I would prefer a place in a town to be able to walk to restaurants, etc - so I'll still keep looking and maybe do an apartment rather than a villa -

Thanks again -

Old Oct 5th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Nice trip !
I feel that 5 days is about right for Venice, although we are going back in 2009 for a week. In Umbria, I like the Bevagna area location---look at Le Case Gialle and Genius Loci.