Help with Itinerary for California in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all - Looking for some ideas for March Break. Probably flying in/out of San Francisco, but ideally would arrive in SF and depart San Diego (will depend on cost). Have 9 nights. In SF we want to do Alcatrez, cable cars, city tour, walk to get a feel for the city. Would 4 days be adequate? Want to see Nappa Valley; Yosemite would be lovely - can we fit that in? Will rent car to head down Highway 1. Think we'd like to stay in Carmel for one night. In LA we'll probably take a tour. Recommendations, also where to stay? Basically going for an overall tour of the area. Would like to spend at least 2-3 nights in San Diego. Suggestions for inexpensive, clean ($125 and under) places to stay in any and all these places would be appreciated, as well as other ideas. Is this too much for nine days? Thanks.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 03:50 AM
ira

Hi C,

I suggest that you repost at the US forum.

Old Nov 13th, 2006, 05:09 AM
hsv

Even though I completely agree that this belongs on the US Forum, just my short two cents:

Nine nights is nowhere near sufficient for the itinerary planned. With nine nights in total, I would focus on either Northern or Southern California (the separating line in this instance being in the Santa Barbara area for definition purposes).
San Francisco is usually quite popular with tourists - and three full days in the city appear applicable. Add another day for Napa (that is four days already-and likely to be 5 nights). You could do the drive over to Yosemite - but you'd want at least one full day there - and it's more or less about one day of driving.

L.A. alone is a vast area - and depending on the time of day, it can take you very long to get from one point to the other due to heavy traffic on the freeways. Still, it is a fascinating place to be, but in order to make you feel comfortable you ought to allow at least 3 days, too.

The drive down the PCH from S.F. is beautiful, but can be time consuming. It is a fun drive through marvellous scenery and it would be a waste to do it in a rush. I would allow for two overnight stops minimum en route to L.A., should you decide to stick to your plan of combining the two areas. In this case, an open-jaw might be a good idea.

San Diego certainly is beautiful, but it, too, deserves at least 1.5 days of your precious time for sightseeing and some relaxation by the beach.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding. Didn't realize I was in the Europe forum!

May have to reconsider the San Diego part. I had a feeling it would be too much, but my son wants to go.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 06:32 AM

see the Muir Woods.Awesome.
We have been to SF/Carmel 3 times for 3-4 days each time and still haven't seen enough.
Suggestions: Golden Gate tour, Victorian homes tour, see a show called Beach Blanket something or other, it's been in SF for YEARS and is great!
We rented a flat in Nob Hill, found it on Choice1.com I believe. Great location!