Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with itinerary - Edinburgh, York, Lancaster

Apr 6th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

I'd appreciate some advice planning a trip itinerary. I'll be travelling with husband and daughter, 20. We are planning to rent a car. We have two weeks to spend (Sept 15 to Sept29)and so far we're thinking to include Edinburgh, castles (Stirling?), beautiful scenery (Killin/Falls of Dochart? Glen Coe?), Moffat (I'm a D.E. Stevenson fan), York, ending up in Lancaster (dropping daughter off there for University exchange year). I would have loved to see the Scottish Highlands, but not sure if we'll have time given the York/Lancaster constraint. Any advice including where to stay or points of interest would be welcome.
Apr 6th, 2007, 08:38 AM

W/ that much time you have a LOT of options. You could do Edinburgh for 2 or 3 days (w/o a car) and then pick up a rental and head south. The Borders, Moffat and a bit of SW Scotland, Northumberland/Hadrian's Wall, Durham, Yorkshire (a lot more to it than just the city of York) and finishing at Lancaster.

This would be a very doable 2-week itinerary.

Apr 6th, 2007, 08:42 AM

OH - hit post too soon.

By adding Killin/Glencoe you could still easily do most of the rest in two weeks. Fly into Glasgow > north to Glencoe > Killin/the Trossachs > Edinburgh > the Borders/Moffat/Northumberland and so on.
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Hi Dana
I bow to Janis's itinerary planning skills but just to let you know that I live near York, and my daughter attends Lancaster University. So - any questions do give me a yell and I'll do my best to assist.
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Morgana, I may well be contacting you about Lancaster University. Thanks to Janis as well. I've done a lot of research on accomodations, so many choices! What do you think of the idea of having a home base somewhere like Callander for five days to do day trips and then moving to Edinburgh for two nights? The problem with this is that most self-catering places want you to commit to a full week.
Apr 7th, 2007, 07:24 AM

That late in the season you should not have too much difficulty getting a shorter let, but you may have to wait till nearer the time.

I know somewhere a few miles outside Dunkeld that would definitely do it because it's their first season. Dunkeld would be good for most of your options except Moffat.

How about (for the Scottish bit)> Fly into EITHER Edinburgh or Glasgow, get the train to Fort William, thus losing some of your jet lag issues. Hire your car in Fort William then drive down through Glencoe and east through Tyndrum and Crianlarich to Killin, and on stay somewhere on Loch Tay. Use that as your homebase, and see teh Trossachs, Stirling, Perthsire and a wee bit more of the Highlands- Speyside maybe. Then go south, spending two days, one night in Edinburgh en route. Come south through Moffat, towards York.
Apr 7th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Sheila's option is good. Staying either near Callander or Loch Tay would be a great base for a few days.

In Sept, many self catering properties will gladly do a shorter let. But as sheila says - you may have to wait until maybe July to reserve because owners might hold out hoping to get full week's booking. But by July/early Aug - they will just want any Sept. booking.
Apr 7th, 2007, 09:17 AM

dana48, it sounds like a wonderful trip. 2 weeks will give you time to explore the areas you mention. Sheila's itinerary is good. The train ride is a nice one and you would do the drive through Glen Coe in the direction that I think is the best. I just love that drive; after Glen Coe you cross Rannoch Moor (not big but lovely) and then down to Crianlarich with wonderful views on the way.
Apr 7th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

I will most likely be flying Zoom Air from Toronto, Canada to Glasgow airport, which I believe is actually in Paisley, not Glasgow. The train to Fort William sounds lovely, but it looks like we'd have to first take a train from the airport into Paisley Gilmour Station then transfer to another train to get to Glasgow central station then transfer to the Fort William train. After an overnight flight, I'm not sure I'd be up to this plus the four hour train ride to Fort William...seems easier just to rent a car and pick somewhere closeby for the first day. According to Google Maps, Callander is only an hour from Paisley and Killin is 1.5 hours. I know that there is the jet lag/driving-on-left-side issue but my husband feels confident to do the driving. If anyone knows a good self-catering 2-bedroom accomodation near Callander or Loch Tay, I'd be very pleased to receive your suggestions. We'd prefer to be able to walk to a village pub, rather than be out in a remote location. To all, thanks for the replies.
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:30 AM

I personally would rent a car and just drive to Loch Lomond the first day. A very short drive from GLA. Get over the jet lag and then head to Callander or Killin the next day for the rest of your stay.

Or - if you wanted to try to drive as far as Callander here are a few places to try (but as mentioned above - most probably won't book a short break this far out).

http://www.kilravockcallander.co.uk/
http://www.incallander.co.uk/heatherlyn.htm
http://www.frennich-house.co.uk/self-catering.htm
http://www.visitcallander.co.uk/

(But if you DID want to take the train you could take a bus from GLA to central Glasgow and catch the Ft William train there)
Apr 7th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Following up on Janis' latest suggestion, the Fort William train leaves from Queen Street station (I am pretty sure) and that is pretty much across the street from the bus station where the airport bus goes.
Jun 18th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Don't know if the OP is still reading this, but we're just back from Scotland and stopped in Moffat (on the advice of posters here). In Moffat seek out the very small city museum; it has a display about D. E. Stevenson.