Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with itinerary. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-itinerary-665444/)

vrodag Dec 20th, 2006 06:37 PM

Help with itinerary.

We are taking a family trip to Germany for two weeks in February of 2007. I would welcome any suggestions of time frames to spend in each city, and sites to be certain to visit. This is our first visit to the country. We are flying into and out of Frankfurt.

Cheers,
Aric B.

janisj Dec 20th, 2006 10:40 PM

vrodag: You need to re-post w/ a better title. Something like "Need help w/ Germany itinerary Feb '07"

And when you re-post it would be best to include <u>which</u> cities you are asking about.

Viajero2 Dec 21st, 2006 12:54 AM

What are the ages? likes? dislikes? skiers? driving or train? are you planning to spend all two weeks in one region? are you planning to travel to another country?

ira Dec 21st, 2006 02:29 AM

Hi V,

Your request is much too general.

Give us a suggested itinerary and we will help you improve it.

((I))

Gary_Mc Dec 21st, 2006 08:39 AM

A good place to start might be a travel book that lays out sights on a map. I like the Michelin Green Guide as a starter for just this reason. It rates as well as identifies tourist sights. Once you can draw a rough itinerary of the sights which match your interests, then others can chip in on the areas where you are uncertain.

I like the medieval cities of Franconia by train, but that might not be your idea of a nice trip at all.

Regards, Gary

zobtraffic Dec 21st, 2006 08:57 AM

cool. i'm planning the same trip and amount of time. 1st buy a few travel books(i live through Eyewitness Travel and The Green Guide) so you know where your going and what your looking at when you get there. we're flying into Frankfurt and renting a car. The first 2 nights we are staying in Koln. Ton of architecture and gotta see St. Martin's . Then we are making a one night stay in a small wine town right on the Rhine called Rudeshime. There is a great boat ride up and down the Rhine and some of the best wine in germany i am told is served in this tiny, quaint town. then we are staying 3 nights in Basel, Switzerland. Everything i've read i really like. Small town, great archetecture and shopping. Then 2 nights in Lucern, Switzerland. been there before but my fiance hasn't. great place. gotta take the boat ride on lake lucern and wander around the wall in the alt stadt. Then we are going to see newschwanstein castle like every american and asian tourist is required to do. been there already but fiance hasnt. really quit beautiful. we are then staying in Garmisch for one night. on my last trip the most beautiful photos i had were from garmisch. if you like nature this is a great spot. you also should visit the zugspitz. its the tallest point in germany with a nice overpriced resteraunt on top. very pretty...obviously. then we are going to munich for 3 nights. i would like to make it a point to go to munich every chance i get. so much art and beer. if you still have time and take this route i would DEFINITly go on to salzburg, austria. that is the one town i truly miss. every step is beautiful music, a great cafe or shop. i definitly left my heart in salzurg. best of luck.

iwannagonow Dec 21st, 2006 04:44 PM

vrodag...here are some thoughts to get this started.

Days 1-4.

Train to Bacharach on the Rhine from the airport in Frankfurt for 2 days. Tour the Rhine region, take a boat ride, and see a castle.

Then go stay in Cochem on the Mosel for 2 days. Tour a vineyard tasting room and enjoy some of the worlds best Reisling wine. One of the 2 days in Cochem take a day trip to Cologne on the train and see the greatest Cathedral in the world when you step off the train.

Days 5-6.

Train to Bamberg for 2 days( See a beautiful authentic German town..try some Scherlenka smoke beer..yum)

Days 7-10.

Train to Munich, too many things to suggest, do some research and.. (one of the days take the family to the castle in Fussen using a Bayern ticket 25 euros for all round trip, on another day take the family to Garmisch and see Germanys highest mountain. again Bayern ticket. Also try the Augustiner beer ..yum again )

Days 11-12. train to Rothenburg for 2 days ( first night enjoy the watchmans tour of the town, next day tour the city and possibly take a local tour to some other romatic road site.

Day 13 train to Wurzburg. Great little town for a one day stay. Tour the Rezidence and see the great artwork. Enjoy some Franken wine and prepare for departure the next day.

Day 14 Train to Frankfurts airport. About 90 minutes.

bilboburgler Dec 22nd, 2006 04:09 AM

I like this trip but note

1) If you do get to Rudesheim take the cable car over the vines and walk back through the woods, not sure if running in feb but if good weather would be great
2)Cochem is less good for me, Try Trab and trabach or any of the larger ones further up. Cochem is a bit tatty and touristy. Good news about Cochem is that it is on the train so easy to leave/come back to if drunk

vrodag Dec 22nd, 2006 09:39 AM

iwannagonow=&gt;Outstanding recommendations! Anyone else have any additions or suggestions to this masterful post.