Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-itinerary-554781/)

suki_7 Aug 28th, 2005 05:34 AM

Help with itinerary

Hi everyone, I am in need of help. I am leaving in 2 days to go to Europe and I still haven't organised all my accommodation. I am going for four and half weeks, the first week and half for work and the rest for a holiday. I like hotels with lots of character and charm but can't afford to spend more than 250 euros a night. This is my itinerary so far:

Dubai - 1 night/ no hotel booked
Paris - 2 nights/ no hotel booked (am thinking of Hotel Madison)
Milan - 3 nights/ have reserved Hotel Spadari but i'm not sure I will go ahead with it
Bellagio - 3 nights/ Hotel Florence
Venice - 2 nights/ no hotel booked
Santa Margherita or Montalcino - 2 nights/ no hotel booked
Florence - 2 nights/ hotel JandJ
Rome - 3 nights/ no hotel booked
Positano - 4 nights/ no hotel booked
I have about 6 nights at the end of my trip that I need to organise as well. All advice would be greatly appreciated.

ira Aug 28th, 2005 05:43 AM

Hi S,

Enter <last minute hotels> at www.google.com and follow the links.

((I))

Patrick Aug 28th, 2005 05:48 AM

To be perfectly blunt, I think your question is kind of a minor point. You are going to have a difficult time finding what you want at such a late date. Ira's suggestion is a good one -- and take what you can get.

Many here plan up to a year ahead and still have trouble finding that "perfect" hotel with charm and character.

RufusTFirefly Aug 28th, 2005 06:11 AM

I would add that, unless you have a particular reason to spend 3 nights in Milan, I'd suggest that you take 2 nights away and add 1 to Rome and 1 to Venice.

suki_7 Aug 28th, 2005 06:22 AM

I have to spend 3 nights in Milan for work. Unfortunately I didn't have time to spend planning this trip a year in advance as I have been flat out with finishing my degree and starting a new business. I had left it in the hands of a travel agent but she still hasn't booked my accommodation, so I have decided to do it myself. I am just after some useful tips on good hotels. You would be suprised that a lot of these hotels do have availability still. I booked JandJ hotel in Florence today, and I know that Miramare in Positano also has availability.

Michael Aug 28th, 2005 08:19 AM

Leave out Paris. Two night represents one day, and since the rest of the trip is in Italy, you might as well start there. Maybe go to Bellagio at the beginning of the trip to rest from your plane travels. If you must go to Paris because that is how your travel agent booked you, change travel agent for future trips.

suze Aug 28th, 2005 09:04 AM

How about, take the "extra" 6 days at the end of your trip and divide them among the other cities above? This would also save a bit of stress of adding even more locations where you need to find last minute hotel reservations.

suki_7 Aug 28th, 2005 09:20 PM

Hi, I have to do those cities in that order because I am going to Paris, Milan and Venice for work. I cannot change the order around. I really need some help with hotels. If anyone knows some good boutique hotels they could recommend that would be a huge help. This has been the most stressful experience thanks to my travel agent. I am really in a bind.

Sue_xx_yy Aug 29th, 2005 03:40 AM

Ira has a great suggestion. Alternatively, you could try for a chain hotel in the best possible location in each city. Whilst not known for charm, chain hotels are quick and easy to book, and the better ones (Novotel, Sofitel etc.) are quite comfortable. Concentrate on enjoying the charm and character of Europe itself at this point. I understand the yearning to get everything just right, but with 2 days to go the stress could kill your holiday.

Where you spend your last 6 days depends on your departure gateway. From where do you plan to fly home?

ira Aug 29th, 2005 03:45 AM

Hi suki,

Try www.lesirene.com for a hotel in Praiano - 6km E of Positano.

In Paris try the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. About 124E dbl w/bkfst

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67

((I))

mamc Aug 29th, 2005 04:46 AM

In Paris, try the Hotel Madison, La Fleurie or Hotel des Saints Peres. You can find telephone information by googling.

suki_7 Aug 29th, 2005 11:11 PM

Hi Sue, the stress is killing me. I have come down with the flu and I have to board a plane in 4 hours. The trip is already starting on the wrong foot. Ira, thanks for the hotel tip in Paris, I'm going to email them now. I am booked at the madison but the only room they had left costs 335 euros, which is a bit more than we wanted to spend. Mamc, I will look into the hotels you suggested now.

suki_7 Sep 4th, 2005 08:29 AM

I have arrived in Milan after a whirwind trip to Paris for work. We had such an easy time going through the jewellery fair in Paris, but the fair in Milan is an absolute nightmare. We stayed last night at hotel spadari which in my opinion is a terrible hotel. We are leaving tomorrow and hopefully will get a room at locanda dei mercanti.