Search

Help with Itinerary - 10 days - April / May

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Itinerary - 10 days - April / May

Hi All,

My partner and I have just booked last minute flights to Pisa leaving next week (5 days time) and we don't have an itinerary!!

The vague plan was to travel by train and spend the 10 days along the Italian Riviera - but after doing a little research and looking at the Yahoo weather forecast (apparently showery) and reading on this website that alot of restaurants and bars only open late during Easter and Summer in the Liguria area, we are having doubts on whether this is our best option.

Really want to make the most of our trip as we haven't been abroad for 3 years!! Italy was our last holiday and we loved it (travelled all around Tuscany).

We are two 30 somethings and really need to relax but also want to have a couple of good nights out.

Anyone who has any input/advice on a plan of action would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:27 AM

Repost this with "Italy" in the heading so people know where you're going.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I selected Italy as 'a topic' when posting this.

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM

Unfortunately, whether you select Italy as the topic or not, it all goes into the same big Europe pot.

The only thing the Italy topic is good for is if you want to bring up only threads about Italy. And it's not very good for that, either, since it will only bring up threads for which people did, in fact, choose the topic Italy, and most people don't.

Ah, the vagaries of fodors.com!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:58 AM

Hi Pipier,

We visited the Ligurian coast in may on our second trip several years ago. We sure didn't notice much that was closed! We had a wonderful time staying in Santa Margherita Ligure, hiking the CT and having a nice long lunch after window shopping Portofino.

I know Europe is having a very late and cool spring, but it was in the mid-80'sF when we visited.

If you are really worried about weather, what about staying within day trip distance of Florence/Rome so you could do museums on rainy days?
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle, someone who has replied with an answer - rather than a telling off.

Thanks for the reasurrance.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:00 PM

Wow, its obvious to me that you are in Italy thread as I have selected Italy in upper left box, maybe some people don't realize about this.

Coming back to Liguria, don't worry about the forecasts, its spring and so you will get changing weather, some warm days, some rainy. The ocean is not really warm enough for swimming, unless you come from hardy northern climates when you will appreciate a dip. And the bars and restaurants that are open are the ones that the locals use, not the seasonal tourist ones, so don't worry about this, in fact its not a bad time to come before the crowds,so it will be easy to find a room, although in May the Cinque Terre starts to fill up.

I would take a train or car to the furthest point you want to go and work back, and since Liguria is quite close knit, so can base yourself in one or 2 places, around San Remo for the night life and Liguria Ponente and Santa Margherita for the Liguria Levanto including Cinque Terre, which you can take a train into, unless you want to spend a night or two (very nice to wake up in Cinque Terre). Don't miss a day in Genoa's old historic port city, and think about a side trip to nearby Piedmont, home of Italy's finest wine and foods. Cadogan has a great guide book about the Italian Riveira too.
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
sampaquita: &quot;<i>Wow, its obvious to me that you are in Italy thread as I have selected Italy in upper left box, maybe some people don't realize about this.</i>&quot;

Yes we &quot;realize about this&quot;. However you are wrong. There is no &quot;Italy&quot; forum. Clicking Italy merely lets one search for information about Italy. And even then it only gets some of the threads about Italy. But <u>ALL</u> threads are lumped together under Europe.

pipier: &quot;<i>rather than a telling off.</i>&quot;

Those people were not trying to &quot;tell you off&quot;. They were trying to help you get more useful information. If you had re-posted w/ a better title yesterday when brotherleelove siggested it -- you probably would have receieved 10 or 15 good responses by now.

Something like <b>&quot;Last minute trip into Pisa. Need help w/ itinerary&quot;</b> -- or anything that actually says what you are asking . . . .
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM

If you had put keyword &quot;Italy&quot; in your topic, those contributors who select Italy from the &quot;topics&quot; box would have seen your posting right away and would have responded along with those who just go to the general topics Europe column would have been able to help as well. No one was attacking you, get over yourself.