Reload this Page >

Help with Italy Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Sherry

I'm going to be in the South of France (Cannes/Nice) for work in February. I want to leave via train from Nice to visit parts of Northern Italy -- possibly Venice. I would leave Nice on a Friday (evening train?) and need to return to the US from Nice the following Thursday. That leaves me 5 full days (returning to Nice on Wednesday evening or even Thursday morning).<BR><BR>Where do you suggest I go? I've never been to Italy before. I enjoy art, architecture, random wandering, shopping and just taking in the local magic of a foreign city. I'd appreciate any help with locations, hotels, train information, etc.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Janice

I'd suggest a train to Milan, spend a day there (the Duomo is worth it, and Milan can be an interesting town for a day) and then a quick 3 hour train to Venice. Spend a day or two there, then go backward, maybe stopping for a day near Beaulieu sur Mer or some French destination. Lucky you!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Wendy

Can't give you tons of advice but I took the train from Nice to Milan and spent a day there. Then I trained from Milan to Venice and spent a couple days there. I would recommend both as it was an easy trip and both places are very different!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Wendy

Wow!! Do Janice and I think alike or what!!! haha!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Sherry

Thanks for the advice -- that's kind of where I was thinking as well . . .<BR><BR>Any good information about Venice hotels?

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Sherry

One more question -- what's the best (most economic/easiest way to travel via train -- is it Eurail?

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:39 PM
Walter

Sherry: When in Feb? The Venice Carnivale is from Feb 1-12. The Friday of the 8th to the 12th would be the prime time and the most crowded. Regards, Walter

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Wendy

We had EuroRail passes so that worked well for us.<BR>I don't have my hotel info here but I will try to find it this weekend for you. <BR>We stayed 3 blocks from the Duomo in Milan and about a 5 min walk from St. Marc's in venice. Paid about $70 for a double room in both places I believe.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Sherry

We'd be in Venice on February 23-26th, give or take a day or so.<BR><BR>Any hotel information would be great. Thanks!<BR><BR>/Sherry

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:57 PM
steve

The hotel depends on your budget and what you like in a hotel. The Hotel Flora is one of my favorite 3-star hotels in Europe. It's quite charming, has a great location and the staff is as nice as can be. If you book there ask for a garden-view room.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:01 PM
steve

I forgot to say that the Hotel Flora is in Venice.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:35 PM
Sasha

Check out www.venicerentals.com...my mother and I stayed a block from the Grand Canal at the San Silvestri waterbus stop. It was great to have an apartment for the 5 days we stayed. Eating out became very expensive and it was nice to prepare meals in the apt. Excellent water pressure too! Big bonus there. Washing machine as well. The couple that runs Venice Rentals speak great English and will meet you when you arrive and get you settled in. ENJOY VENCICE!! It is magical.