Help with Italy and Switzerland

Old Jun 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Italy and Switzerland

Hi all,

Me and my wife are planning to go to Italy and Switzerland this summer. This is my 2nd time to Italy and 1st to Switzerland. It's my wife's 1st trip to either countries. She's in her late 20's and I'm 30. We enjoy moderately active vacations. Hoping to relax a little in between siteseeing and hiking (in Switzerland). Would greatly appreciate your feedback on whether this is a good plan.

June 27th morning - Arrive in Rome
Rome - 4 days/3 nights (Would like to do a day trip to Naples)
Sienna/Florence - 3 days/4 nights OR should we do Pompei/Naples?
Venice - 2 days/2 nights
Milan - 1 day/ 1 night

July 6th - Train from Milan to Lugano
Lugano - 2 days
Interlakken - 2 days (we'd prefer to stay outside....like Lauterbrunnen or Thun?)
Lucern - 2 nights
Zurich - 2 nights
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 09:39 PM

Hi sgshah08,

I like your plans for Switzerland in general. I wonder why you don't want to stay up in the mountains -- ?? If you would consider that, here is one site to research all the villages:

www.myjungfrau.ch

But if you want to stay in in a more central spot, then, yes, either Thun or Lauterbrunnen would be better than Interlaken, particularly in the summer when the streets are crowded with tour busses.

I would also spend more time in the mountains than in the cities (Luzern & Zürich). I guess I would take one night from Zürich and spend it in the Jungfrau area.

Have fun!

s
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:02 AM

I agree with swandav (usually do) and pick a more serene spot than 2 nights in Zurich. There are so many lovely mountain villages.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM

In summer, Pompeii is frying pan without shade. Everywhere you go in Italy is likely to be very hot at that time of year, so be sure to get air conditioning.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Swandav, Jungfrau sounds great. I'll take a night away from Zurich. Can you provide some insight into how I can get around given the itinerary? I know there are train options, but have also read some people recommend buses for better views. I'll be looking to depart from Milan-->Lugano-->Jungfrau-->Lucern-->Zurich

Zeppole, Thanks for the a/c recommendation. I remember from my last trip how hot it gets over there. I am more interested in your opinion on whether to go to florence/sienna or amalfi coast/pompeii/capri.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:27 PM

sghsah08,

These are such subjective calls, I can only advise you to think hard about what you want and don't want out of an Italian soujourn, given that you are also visiting Switzerland.

The warring Renaissance banking cities of Firenze (Florence) and Siena, wedged into the heart of some of Italy's most famous wine country, and representing some of the world's highest humanitarian aspirations, embodied in its art and architecture (yet Siena still has a powerful feeling of the dark ages), is one kind of touristic experience of Italy, and may be closer to the heart of what you hope to leave with before heading on to Switzerland.

The Amalfi coast can be a beguiling place of exceptional natural beauty, fun-loving hedonism, and a hint of Italy's ancient Greek antecedents. It is this part of Italy that breaks everybody's heart, and everybody longs to return to: the mozzerella, the pasta, the lemons, the blue of the sea, the friendly people. If you do choose Capri, consider just going there, turning your back to the world, and enjoying the island beauty instead of day tripping.

But in truth, in both places in summer, there are terrific downsides: mobs of non-Italian speaking tourists, humidity (in Firenze), sunstroke-inducing sun (in Amalfi-Pompeii), crowded transport (the Amalfi can be a zoo), crowded museums (it's impossible to see the paintings in the Uffizi).

Personally, I don't mind suffering for art. I do mind suffering for a day at the sea. But if you don't frequent museums in the States, but love natural beauty, spring for Amalfi and maybe consider including Paestum instead of Pompeii as your educational fix.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 03:29 PM

Having been to both Florence, Sienna, Pompeii, Rome, Naples here is what I think... I am in my mid 20s btw.

Naples - very rough around the edges. Personally, my least favorite. There are great places to see for sure, one fantastic museum actually. But the city itself does not compare to Florence/Sienna. Not even close...

Best part about Naples was my hike to the top of Mt.Vesuvius where you can see the entire bay and amalfi coast.

Since this is your wife's 1st trip, skip Naples and Pompeii. Oh, and in regards to Pompeii - nothing to see besides the ruins. But the ruins are great. A day trip. However, in the summer the ruins will be mobbed so I would save that for fall/spring.

Surely Florence and Sienna will be busy too but those cities are much more beautiful. I am going there myself around the same time as you actually (Florence June 30-July 2).

Question for you: I am actually starting my trip w/ fiance in Geneva. Would you recommend any day trips to say Vevey or other cities where we can enjoy laying out/swimming in Lake Geneva?

Best
-Mikailov
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM

Hi again,

No busses go to the mountaintops, only trains or cable cars do that. I think people talk about the busses for going over the mountain passes -- but I don't think you'll be doing that.

You can find all the information you want (schedules, fares, track numbers, etc) on transportation at the Swiss rail site,

www.rail.ch

For discount cards and passes, take a look at this site,

www.swisstravelsystem.com

And for trains up to the Jungfraujoch and the Schilthorn, here is the site,

www.jungfraubahn.ch

Have fun!

s