Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   help with italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-italy-760605/)

tnfan Jan 10th, 2009 10:59 AM

help with italy

My husband and I are traveling to Rome and Florence at the end of May. We would also like to visit part of Italy that is small, quaint, as well as offers some shopping, great food, and wine. One suggestion was Cinque Terra; the other was Montepulciano. I need to know the difference and the difficulty of getting there. We do not want to do another large city. Any insight to these suggestions would be very helpful.

zeppole Jan 10th, 2009 11:05 AM

Cinque Terre is a string of five fishing villages with not very good wine, and no shopping to speak of.

Montepulciano is probably what you are looking for, although there are about 5,000 other choices that would thrill you as well.

If you can be very specific about what kind of shopping you want, what kind of wine you like, and what kind of food you like, people here can probably nail down for you exactly the right Italian town in Tuscany, Lazio or Umbria.

kybourbon Jan 10th, 2009 11:11 AM

Cinque Terre in Liguria:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinque_Terre

Montepulciano in Tuscany:
http://www.montepulciano.com/index.eng.php

StCirq Jan 10th, 2009 11:14 AM

My suggestion would be to go to the library or a bookstore or station yourself at your computer for a few hours and do some basic research about towns in areas of Italy that interest you.

I could name a thousand and one towns that would meet your general expectations. Cinque Terre does not, but all over Italy are towns and villages that fit your description.

When you've got a better handle on what appeals to you I'm sure folks here can help you with specifics.

tnfan Jan 10th, 2009 11:20 AM

Here is a more specific description. I love pottery and clothing at reasonable prices. We love all kinds of food, especially pasta. We are fans of red wine. The more I read on the internet the more overwhelmed I become. We have nailed down Rome and Florence; we would just like to spend 1-2 nights in a small place where we can really shop, enjoy a good wine at a reasonable price, and see some beautiful views.

J62 Jan 10th, 2009 11:34 AM

Small town and shopping don't usually mix. Given the USD/Euro exchange rate clothing shopping and Europe don't really mix period. My European friends flock to US malls or outlets when the visit since prices here are much cheaper for the same items.

For 1-2 nights Montepulciano would fit the bill perfectly. Great wine, many good restaurant options, beautiful views.

To enjoy rural Tuscany though one really does need to have a car. The small towns are quite sleepy, especially once the busloads of day tourists leave. If a car is not in the game plan, then there are many other options you can consider. Here are just a few ideas.

Siena might be a good choice - it's a bigger town/small city, but much smaller than Florence and a very pedestrian friendly inner city. There's a little more to see in Siena vs smaller towns like Montepulciano. You can also get there by bus quite easily. Something to consider if you don't have a car.

I also like Assisi - high up on the hill, two beautiful, historic churches, one right on top of the other.

Neither of those will have the concentration of wineries (outside of town) or wine tasting cellars (in town) as Montepulciano & vicinity.

Haven't been there, but Lucca is also an option. I'd say leave your shopping to Rome & Florence, and pick a town in Tuscany or Umbria that works for your travel logistics. You have great views, food & wine all over the region - perhaps fly into Rome and out of Pisa or Florence. Cinque Terre isn't convenient at all, especially for 1-2d. I'd rule that out from the get go.

kybourbon Jan 10th, 2009 01:33 PM

You would need a car for Montepulciano. Another option where you could train from Florence and then on to Rome is the hilltown of Orvieto. From the train station you take a funicular to reach the town. There are lots of ceramic shops and plenty of clothing stores.
http://www.argoweb.it/orvieto/orvieto.uk.html

kybourbon Jan 10th, 2009 01:37 PM

Here's a picture of Orvieto and one of the ceramic shops.

http://www.terragalleria.com/europe/....ital7294.html

http://www.terragalleria.com/europe/...ia/umbria.html

zeppole Jan 10th, 2009 01:52 PM

At this point, I think I'm going to scream.

AAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHEEEEIEIIEEHEHEIEIIGGGGHHHHHHHHY AH!!!!!!

Okay. That felt better.

Tnfan, right above Florence (Firenze) is a town called Impruneta. It is the most important maker of terra cotta pottery in the world. The world. You can get there by bus, from Florence.

It's true that Orvieto -- famous for its WHITE wine -- famously produces decorated ceramics of a distinctive design. However, before you go there, do take a look at images of Orvieto ceramics, because they are not to everybody's taste.

Also, please bear in mind that almost any style of ceramic that is made in Italy, you can buy in Rome and have it shipped. And many are available in Florence as well. If you like to shop, there are some specialty publications available on Amazon called things like "A shopper's guide to Italy (or Florence, Rome, etc)."

The hills immediately surrounding Firenze all produce world famous RED wines, in towns like Fiesole, Certaldo, the Chianti area. It is filled with lovely places with lovely views, and you can get there without a car.

I think maybe these two websites will help you out.

http://www.welcometuscany.it/tuscany/chianti/index.htm

http://www.chianticlassico.net/

Lily Jan 10th, 2009 02:24 PM

The shopping is best in Rome unless you mean browsing through small shops then I would suggest Montepulciano. As said above, great restaurants, wineries and some small shops with leather goods, Italian ceramics, and paper products. At the Sax Bar, the owner sings opera on request while you enjoy wonderful wines and snacks. At the Cafe Poliziano you can sit on the back veranda and admire gorgeous views while watching the swallows dive. Can you tell Montepulciano is one of my favorite places?

kybourbon Jan 10th, 2009 02:31 PM

zeppole - I'm not sure why you would want to scream. As you pointed out about buying ceramics in Rome, you can easily buy any of the Tuscan reds in Orvieto (or Rome). Orvieto doesn't only sell their white wine.

tnfan Jan 10th, 2009 02:33 PM

Ok, I am still confused. I want to go somewhere small and not as tourist driven as Florence and Rome. I want to be able to shop in specialty places, not high end, just local. We love red wine. Someone suggested Sienna but it seems too big. Does anyone know about Lucca?

I don't want it to be too far away from Florence. We will not have a car (at least at this point) so traveling needs to be by train or bus. I don't want to spend the whole vacation moving. Does anyone have any thoughts?

The two friends I have love the Cinque Terra, but hiking is not my thing so while it seems beautiful, it seems a little dull

Connie Jan 10th, 2009 03:21 PM

I did Rome, Florence, Siena and Cinque Terra this summer and I agree, after Rome and Florence it is VERY nice to be in a small town.

Siena was not very crowded during the middle of the week, compared to what I had heard about on weekends. There are some very nice shops there--mostly pottery but clothing also. They are mostly middle to upscale. It's a 2 hour bus ride from Rome and an hour bus ride from Florence. Buses are punctual, clean and ours were not crowded at all. If you decide to do that, you need to get very clear directions on where to catch the bus in Rome and where to get off in Sienna--both confusing and important. I'd be happy to help you with that.

We did Cinque Terra at the end of our four Italian cities and I went out on our hotel's balcony over the sea, looked at the beautiful scenery and just melted. I was finally able to just totally relax. We sat out there for hours just soaking it in. We did very little hiking. We bought the all day boat ticket for 12Euros. This allows you to ride the boat, which is pretty much a shuttle boat, from one village to another. They are all similar but different. The Lingurian area of Italy is home to pesto and there's lots of good restaurants. Shopping is pretty spotty.

bobthenavigator Jan 10th, 2009 04:17 PM

So, how much time will you have? Here are some suggestions for you, but if you do want a small quaint village with great vino then you will enjoy it more with a car. Lucca and Siena are too big for what you want. San Quirico or Montepulciano would be good.

BOB the NAVIGATOR’S FAVORITE ITALY ITINERARIES
UPDATED AUGUST, 2006
I am now older and hopefully wiser. Here is an updated version of my favorite itineraries & my “Bella Italia” photo gallery. I hope you enjoy.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3827

1. BELLA ITALIA: Five destinations in 15 days—car & train travel
* Arrive in Milan[MXP] & depart from Venice[VCE]or vice versa.
* Itinerary to include the Italian Lakes, Ligurian coast, rural
Tuscany, Florence, & Venice. Suggested timing is 3-2-4-2-4.
* Option: Drop the coast & rent a villa in Tuscany[ 3-7-2-3].
* Best time to go: May & June or Sept. & Oct.

2. LA DOLCE VITA: Three destinations in 12 to 14 days-car & train
* Arrival & departure from Rome[ FCO] or arrival in Naples
* Itinerary to include Rome, the Amalfi coast, and Tuscany
* Best time to go: Easter to end of October
* Option: Fly into Naples & stay at 2 locations on the coast

3. CLASSIC ITALIA: Three destinations in 12 to 14 days-car & train
* Arrival & departure from Rome—may start trip in Florence
* Destinations to include Florence, Rome & Tuscany/Umbria
* Best time to go: Anytime, but May & Oct. are my favorites
* Option: Consider a weekly rental in Tuscany/Umbria

4. SICILIAN CHARMS: Five destinations in 15 days—car travel
* Connections to Catania & Palermo via Rome or gateway city.
* Itinerary to include Taormina, Siracusa, Palermo & more.
* Best time to go: March to November—May is best for flowers
* See: http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=634

5. THE VILLAGE SAMPLER: My favorite venues for those who enjoy natural beauty and quaint, small villages. Arranged north to south.
* Arrive Milan & depart Rome—car travel-- 3 nites per location
* Itinerary to include Lago Orta, Castelrotto/ Ortisei[Dolomites],
Portovenere[Liguria], Montalcino[Tuscany

Lexma90 Jan 10th, 2009 04:24 PM

Siena may fit what you're looking for. It's not a small town, but a small town is likely to have less shopping (pottery/ceramics or clothing). It's definitely a quieter place than Florence or Rome. And it's near Chianti and Montepulciano/Montalcino, so you'll definitely see a big variety of great wines from those regions. And it would be easy to get to.

I'm not into shopping at all, but I do remember lots of ceramics shops in Siena.

Lucca is a charming little city (without checking, I'd say about the same size as Siena, or maybe a little bigger), but it's much less touristy. Again, I didn't look at the shopping options when I visited (except I did buy an Alessi teapot there, but you can buy those anywhere), but I would guess that there would be fewer ceramics and clothing choices in Lucca, because it's less touristy.

Most any place will have great food, so you don't need to worry about that part of your trip!

Gerald Jan 10th, 2009 04:25 PM

"I want to go somewhere small and not as tourist driven as Florence and Rome. I want to be able to shop in specialty places, not high end, just local. We love red wine."Someone suggested Sienna but it seems too big. Does anyone know about Lucca? Idon't want it to be too far away from Florence."

I think that San Gimignano in Tuscany will meet all of your requirements. Like Orvieto mentioned in another post, the local wine is white, but you'll find a full selection of Tuscan and other reds in any store or restaurant. Lots of local shopping and good food as well.

http://www.sangimignano.com/sghomei.htm

tnfan Jan 10th, 2009 06:03 PM

We will be there 10 days, including two for travel. We plan 3 nights in Rome, 3 in Florence and 2 somewhere else.

So far, I have been given the advice of Montepulciano,Impruneta,Orvieto,Sienna,Lucca, and San Gimignano. It seems that Sienna and Lucca are more like a city. Is this correct? I keep reading on the internet only to find myself even more confused.

This is my 40th birthday present from my husband and a dream trip for me.

I just don't want to spend the whole time running from one site to the other. I would love to go somewhere quaint and beautiful. From what I understand, there are ceramics everywhere, so I would like to focus on local shopping, good food, and ease of getting there from Florence. Can you take the train from Florence to these cities above? I feel like I need a travel agent. I would appreciate everyone's help. I realize that everyone loves a different part. I just want to be able to slow down a little on the trip and go somewhere not so large and touristy.

kybourbon Jan 10th, 2009 06:22 PM

Yes, Siena and Lucca are cities (wouldn't describe either as quaint) and more like Rome/Florence although Lucca won't be as busy (I'm not a fan of Lucca,deadly dull IMHO). I suggested Orvieto because of the ease of getting there since it's between Florence and Rome and on the train line. It's big enough to roam the streets and get lost, but quiet because it's a hilltown. It's quaint and has all the shopping you were interested in.

Montepulciano or Pienza meet your criteria (especially the red wine, but not really the clothing), but are a bit more difficult get to unless you rent a car. No trains go to either city although there is a station about 7 miles from Montepulciano. Montalcino (has red wine and ceramics, but not much in the way of clothing shops)is out of the way and Cinque Terre is northwest of Florence so a bit out of the way too.

StCirq Jan 10th, 2009 06:58 PM

It's Cinque TerrE, not Terra.

I think I'm going to scream myself now.

It's five villages. That makes it plural. I don't know how you do good research on the internet without knowing that.

zeppole Jan 10th, 2009 10:01 PM

tnfan,

Siena and Orvieto are small Italian walled cities. From inside them, you really can't see the countryside unless you go stand on the walls.

Impruneta is small town that's a 20 minute bus ride from Florence, so you don't have to spend the night there. But only go if you are mad for pottery -- not ceramics, pottery. As in terra cotta. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

Montepulciano is not close to Florence, nor can you get there by public transportation.

San Gimignano may be indeed what you are looking for -- but it is also what everybody else is looking for, and therefore it is packed to the walls with tourists. You can get there by bus from Florence but you are well advised to spend the night there if you want to be able to breathe.

Lucca is also a small antique walled city, and it is not a hilltown, but in some ways it is more of what you are looking for in terms of fascinating shopping, great food (Buca di Sant'Antonio) and wine. It is mainly car free. It is lovely to walk around its walls, which are now a pedestrian/cycling path, but you won't be gazing on vinyards.

I don't think you need a travel agent as much as you need a trip to the library or book store to leaf through some picture books and travel books on Tuscany. Take a map of Tuscany with you, so if you see a pretty picture of someplace you want to go, you can look to see if it is close to Florence.

Then come back here and ask how to get to the place that most appeals to you.