Help with Ireland Travel Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are going to Ireland in August. I have been twice before, he has never been. So we are trying to do a little of everything and do lots of compromising! Please give thoughts on this preliminary itinerary:

Day 1: Arrive Shannon, travel to Doolin
Overnight in Doolin
Day 2: Doolin/Cliffs
Overnight in Doolin
Day 3: Inishmor
Overnight in Inishmor
Day 4: Travel to Galway/drive around Connemarra
Overnight in Galway
Day 5: Drive to Donegal, then on to somewhere in Northern Ireland (Derry?)
Overnight somewhere in N.I.
Day 6: Bushmills and Dunluce Castle
Night 6: Somewhere around there
Day 7: Giants Causeway
Night 7: Stay in the same place
Day 8: Kells, Tara, Newgrange, etc.
Night 8: Somewhere around there
Day 9: Drive to Ennis
Night 9: Ennis
Day 10: leave
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:33 AM

Gosh Erin, your are certainly trying to do a lot in 10 days.

Days 1-4 OK but I would stay in somwhere like Cliften rather than Galway and I would stay ther for 2 nights.

Day 5, well I am not saying it is impossible but very nearly. I don't think you realise how long this journey will be, I would estimate 6 hours driving if you are lucky.

As a native of N Ireland and one who thinks it is gets a raw deal as far as tourism is concerned, I am delighted that you want to visit but do think you should give it a miss this trip.

With only 10 days and as you are flying in and out of Shannon I would concentrate on the south east and east coast and then travel inland from Galway to Newgrange but stay there 2 nights.

Driving in Ireland can be slow (you have been there twice already so you should know this). Take your time and stop off at some of the wonderful sights Ireland has to offer.

Old May 18th, 2005, 03:52 PM

Save yourself a day of traveling and fly into Shannon and out of Dublin (should be no more expensive and POSSIBLY -depending on day of the week, time of year, etc..- cheaper).

Why stay two nights in Doolin (when you want to see so much)? It's not that big, nor very far from Shannon. You could easily drive there, catch a nap, visit the Cliffs (around sunset is best), and enjoy the nightlife. I would leave the next morning, for a liesurely drive through the Burren, to Galway. Overnight in Galway.
Day 3, take the ferry to the Aran's, overnight.
Day4, Drive to Donegal,etc.
Day Drive to Swords, Malahide or vicinity and spend the night and fly out of Dublin airport, in the morning.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Have to agree with Italian Chauffer on this one. Leave Shannon and its a very short drive to the cliffs. Whey spend two nights in Doolin which I think is way overrated anyway. Visit the cliffs, take a nap, hit the pubs that nights and then head out to Galway. One night in Doolin is plenty unless you take the ferry out to Inishmor. The views of the Cliffs from the ferry are great. Have Fun
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the valuable advice. I agree that two nights in Doolin is too much. We're either going to add a night in Galway or stay in Clifden or somewhere around there instead.

I am still concerned about the driving from the west to N.I. I realize that it's a lot of driving, and have told my boyfriend that as he is the driver, but he has his heart set on seeing Dunluce Castle. Is it doable (but long) or just plain crazy? More opinions on this subject would be very helpful--thanks!!
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:47 AM

If you have your heart set on Galway I would only do one night and then drive up to Clifden along the coast stopping in Roundstone for lunch along the way. Be sure to do the Sky road and visit the Park if you can. Galway to Donegal will be a long day in the car. If you really want to do Inishmor then I would spend two nights in Dooin and take the ferry from there. Make sure you get your tickets the night before or online if you can. The ferry will be sold out in August. You can get off the ferry and driver to Galway but you will be arriving late and you will be tired after a full day on the island. I would not stay in Derry (I don't go to Ireland to visit Cities) but I would drive on through to the area of the Giants causeway and find a B&B. I like your plan to spend two nights when you can. Packing and driving each day can be tedious after 5 or 6 days. Some people like Ennis but again I am not a city person. There is village called Ballyvaughan about an hour from the airport. Its right on Galway bay for a lovely sunset (maybe). Feel free to disregard all this and have fun
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:45 AM

I did nearly the same trip myself except I started in Belfast. It is doable but will be very draining. We were lucky to have a friend who lived in Belfast who was "our driver" for "pint money" LOL
Donegal was our favorite part of the trip in fact we plan to go back and stay there for our whole stay. Dunluce is spectacular and after having visited some very nice castles I would say it was my favorite.
I would say....take your time...realize you cant see everything and spend more time taking wrong turns as they can be the best part of your trip. Cheers
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:36 AM

General:

This trip will kill you. If you haven't been to Ireland, you have no idea how difficult all that driving will be.

Specific

"Day 2: Doolin/Cliffs
Overnight in Doolin"

The clifss are not worth a whole day. You go there for an hour and you've more than seen them.

"Day 4: Travel to Galway/drive around Connemarra"

Don't do it. The connemara is a long exhausting drive, even if you start from Galway. Adding the drive from Doolin to Galway, which is not easy, is too much. Besides, you will probably want to stop and look around the burren on the way. Best bet, Stay first night in Doolin. See the cliffs in the morning and start for Galway by noon. Wander through the burren a bit on the way. The next day, start fresh from Galway. Stay in the Bushypark section of Galway, which is a few miles out of town in the right direction, to make the Commenara trip the easiest drive.

Better yet, go straight from Shasnnon to Galway. Plant yourself there for few nights, making day trips down to the cliffs, up to Connemara or over to the Aran Islands.

Old May 20th, 2005, 06:57 AM

Hi erin,

It is doable

Have you a particular reason for going to Galway?

If not I would spend the first night in Doolin see the Cliffs and then travel up to Clifden for the night. Next day travel up to Westport through Connemara for another night.

You would then be starting your long drive from Westport which would knock about 45 mins to 1 hour of your travel time. You will only see Donegal from a car window though.

I would agree not to stay in Derry go on to Bushmills or Portballintrae and stay there for 3 nights. There is lots to do up there and you will be tired afer your journey.

I also agree that you should try and fly out of Dublin. The journey from the north coast to Newgrange won't be too bad as you will have motorway and duel carriageway most of the way and the roads are better in N'Ireland and the East coast of Ireland.

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I have to remind myself that there are so many knowledgeable people in this forum but it's impossible to take everyone's advice! I have a new itinerary that I would love feedback on. I've decided it might be better to end the trip on the west coast, since it my favorite area of Ireland.

Day 1: arrive Dublin/see sights around Kells, Tara, etc.
Night 1: Kells area
Day 2: drive to Portballintrae
Night 2: Portballintrae
Day 3: Giants Causeway/Dunluce
Night 3: same
Day 4: Horseback riding/Bushmills
Night 4: same
Day 5: drive to Westport (I know this will be a killer, but we are prepared--any idea how long this will take?)
Night 5: Westport
Day 6: drive to Galway via Connemarra
Night 6: Galway
Day 7: to Inishmore
Night 7: Inishmore
Day 8: to Doolin/see Cliffs if time
Night 8: Doolin
Day 9: morning: Cliffs, then drive to Ballyvaughn
Night 9: Ballyvaughn
Day 10: leave from Shannon

Thanks again for everyone's help. I agree that arriving and leaving from different airports is smart. It is actually more expensive, Chauffer, by about $100. I was surpised! But I think it will be worth it. I also could not pursuade my boyfriend to skip Antrim this time, but we're young and foolish, so we are prepared drive ridiculous distances.
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:43 AM

Hi erin,

Allow about 6 hours for your journey to Westport, you might do it in less depending on traffic and obstacles

When driving from Kells to Portballintrae (you will love Portballintrae and the north coast) take the main Drogheda to Belfast road. It is mostly either moterway or duel carriageway and bypasses Dundalk and Newry. There are road works outside Newry on the way to Belfast which might slow you up a bit but generally the road is very good. At the end of the M1 into belfast go along the west link to the M2 but I would suggest you leave it at the turn off at Templepatrick for Larne and take the coast road from there to Portballintrae. It is a wonderful drive and the road isn't that bad.

Word of caution do not assume that the roads in Donegal and the west of Ireland will be the same - they are not!!

Have a wonderful trip and yes this is doable (well just about but as you said you are young)

If you have never driven on the left before you might want to study this before you go.

http://www.thanetonline.com/Ramsgate...de_online_.htm

Old May 21st, 2005, 04:52 AM

I am so jealous@! Have a great trip. On the day you leave for Westport (which is a great stop BTW) look into stopping at the Ulster-American Folk Park. It is a great museum.Since your BF decided Anterim was a must do make him be a taster at the Bushmills whiskey tour. Warning....you will be driving as after many many shots of whiskey he will be in no condition! Have a great trip!
Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:46 AM

We just returned from Ireland and took a "ferry" from Doolin to Inisheer. We bought a ticket to go to Inishmore, but when we boarded the ferry (which ended up being a fishing boat), the ocean was quite rocky and we (and others on board) opted to get off at Inisheer. My suggestion: take motion sickness Rx!