Search

Help with hotels in Rome,Venice,Florence,Naples and Sicily

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with hotels in Rome,Venice,Florence,Naples and Sicily

hi all,
Going to Italy for a vacation next month and I'm going crazy trying to find hotels!

I would really appreciate if you'll could help me in my hotel selection for Rome,Venice,Florence,Naples and Sicily.

Am looking for the following criteria when selecting a hotel (double room): centrally located, upto 150 euro/day (Venice upto 180 euro), have AC,clean, spacious if poss., not too noisy, good breakfast(am I asking for too much ?),internet connection (if poss.) ,roof garden or view (optional)

I have made a list of possible hotels. Please comment on these or help me find better ones.

Rome : Pace Helvezia, Italia, Cardinal, Genio, Duced'Alba
Venice : MonteCarlo, Casanova,Lisbona
Florence : California,Colomba,Calzouli
Naples : Nothing found yet
Sicily : Nothing found yet .. no idea

Also plan to make reservations thru venere.com .. anyone has experience with it, reccomends it ? Any other good websites to book hotels ?
thanks very much.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Rome: Santa Chiara. The BEST location. The rates may be a little higher than your budget, although I think it was less than the Genio when I stayed there.
Naples: Miramare. Very charming place with extremely nice staff. Very well located.
Florence: Hotel Paris-has some charm, good location. Mario's-pleasant, little hotel that should be under your budget.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 02:29 PM

In Venice have heard of Monte Carlo but not the others. Have you tried looking for reviews on tripadvisor.com I think it's a bit late for next month to find what you're looking for. Best bet but time consuming may be to call/email hotels directly in hopes of cancellations. Venere is fine. Many people use it to "shop" & then contact hotels directly & ask for venere rates.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:25 PM

In Naples try Hotel Pinto Storey. It is on Piazza Amedeo about 200 yards from the Metro and the funiculare. Very nice hotel with good views. Half of the rooms are newly renovated in May. You can book directly on ITWG.com. Close to several good restaurants and also to good shopping on via de Mille. Enjoy Napoli as it will be the most animated city that you will visit. Stand on a corner in Mergellina or near the duomo and just watch the traffic. Unbelievable!
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks my dear friends .. I appreciate your help.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 04:17 AM
ira

Hi kool,

The hotel Albergo Sansevero (http://www.albergosansevero.it/indexe.html) has gotten good reviews here.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:09 AM

Florence: check out the website for Hotel Bellettini; the annex has lovely rooms. Location is great, too.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 10:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Venice:
Pensione La Calcina
www.lacalcina.com

Right price range, AC, breakfast included, rooftop deck available by reservation.

I prefer to contact hotels directly by fax or email, so can't comment about using a booking service.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 11:14 AM

We stayed at the Pace Helvezia two years ago. We were impressed with the roof top view, the location, and the breakfast buffet. The room was very simply furnished by American standards, but clean and comfortable.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 05:11 PM

Here's our experiences...all delightful !!
Rome - Mascagni -or- Genio
Florence - Fenice Palace
Venice - Splendid Suisse
Naples - Royal -or- Vesuvius

I've stayed at all above with great experiences !!

Rob [email protected]
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 06:35 PM

Good evening, koolkatkb
Here are the hotels we have used over the years and would gladly recommend all of them..
Rome=Internazionale, De La Villa
Venice - La Fenice, Do Pozzi, Ala and
the Saturnia
Firenze - Continental
Naples, sorry no suggestion..
Sicily have used hotels of the Jolly
Hotel chain. (www.jollyhotels.com)
in Palermo, Agrigento, Siracusa , Catania and Taormina. We well satisified with this chain and had pretty decent dining rooms...
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old Jun 12th, 2003, 01:32 AM

Hi!

I can give you a suggestion for Florence, the hotel is "Hotel Bernini Palace", it's in Piazza San Firenze, just behind Palazzo della Signoria
they have an e-mail [email protected]
website www.baglionihotels.com
I loved it!
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 02:55 AM

zar1000 - Did you know that you cannot promote your business on this forum?

I notice all your posts are basically the same - a link to your B&B.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 06:09 AM
Lam

Hi!
Just yesterday I booked 2 weeks in Sicily-flights only. I'm from Ireland and I've never been in Italy before. My self and my wife are going. Were flying into Catania. Are there a lot of mid-range hotels in Sicily? We went to France last year and travelled around staying in 2 star hotels(which were way better than 2 star in Ireland. You wouldn't dream of staying in 2 star accomodation in Ireland). The hotels were plentiful and cheap(€38 to about €58 per ROOM per night). Is Sicily similar or are the hotels much dearer?? We might rent a car for part of our holiday. We'll be travelling around a bit unless we find somewhere that we don't want to leave. I'd be glad of any advice on accomodation!
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 03:21 PM

A couple of years ago I stayed at the Duca d'Alba with my husband and children. We all loved the hotel, the location (a couple of blocks from of Colosseum, in a quiet neighborhood with quaint restaurants and mom and pop grocery stores), the elegant modern lobby and breakfast area. The rooms are small but very nice, clean and spectacular bathrooms. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. I advised some friends to stay there while in Rome and they gave the same glowing report. Great place to stay.
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 03:35 PM

try this link..
http://inn26.com
They have tons of listings
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 10:25 AM

Message: In Palermo we stayed at Ai Cartari B&B We couldn't believe our luck when we arrived. My wife and I had a large, beautiful suite of 2 rooms that would cost $350 to $500 in a hotel -- yet it cost us only 90 Euros. The kitchen and the bathroom are large and modern. The location is perfect, in the heart of the historical center off the lovely Piazza San Francesco, within walking distance to all the major sights. This home is 600 years old and lovingly renovated -- a sanctuary from the noise and bustle of the streets. The owners are Rosi Loria and her husband. Rosi is a very gracious woman who helped make our stay memorable. There are only two suites/rooms, which can be viewed at http://www.aicartari.com
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 12:21 PM

I would suggest the Hotel Nerva, which is just down the street from the Duca D'Dalba. We stayed there last week - we actually had their quad for a family of four for 220 Euro/night. Five minutes from the Colosseum, fifteen minute walk to the Trevi Fountain. Very nice location and lots of restaurants to choose from. If you are in the area, I would suggest the Le Vecchia Roma, right next door to the Duca D'Alba. Filled with "locals", the couple next to us said it was the best in the area. We agreed!
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:23 PM

Dear koolkatkb, Stayed in two hotels in Rome in April:

Due Torre, few blocks n of Piazza Navona, good breakfast, if you get a top floor room they have terraces

Lancelot between collesium and St, John in Lateran. godd breakfast option for half pension very reasonable if taken 3 nights . Good food after a day of touring. group tables so you get to compare notes w/ other travellers,
buon viaggio. AndrewDavid
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:47 PM

In Rome, Hotel Lancelot, favored by lots of Brits and Northern Europeans. Clean, about 1.5 - 2 blocks from the Coliseum, near a tram line and subway stop, AND the taxi stop (because when you call for a taxi, the meter starts when they leave the taxi stand.....) 2 years ago, cost us $110 per night. Ask for the room on the sixth floor with the balcony/terrace.

In Venice: $250+ per night, Hotel Panada, about 100 yards from the side entrance of St. Mark's. 4****?? needing refurbishing, but a great location. Wish I had bought more at Venetia Studium (shawls, scarves, bags, slippers....Fortuny style silks) Had internet, but dreadfully slow and only one hookup in the lobby/bar.