Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with hotels in Rome, Florence, and Venice

Jan 5th, 2001, 11:38 AM
ellen

I need help we are visiting these three cities in August. My travel agent who is also a friend suggested 2 hotels in each city for me to look into. I researched on the internet and was really only able to find info on the two in Rome so I'm counting on the readers of this board to help me out. I need the hotel to be centrally located and definitely air conditioned (AUGUST!) I'm am interested in 3 or 4 star hotels. sorry but I don't like the small quaint hotels as much. i prefer to have the amenities such as in room hairdryer , coffemaker, and iron. I don't really care if its more Hilton than italian thatr part is fine as long as close to everything!

Rome:
Hotel Mediterraneo
Starhotel Metropole

Venice:
Hotel Carlton Executive
Carlton capri Plaza

Florence:
Hotel astoria
Hotel Albani

Please give me commentary!

Jan 5th, 2001, 11:40 AM
federico

I highly reccomend visiting the Cinque Terre.
www.villamargherita.net or www.ciaotraveler.com for the accomodation
Ciao
Federico

Jan 5th, 2001, 12:02 PM
xxxx

Frederico please quit advertising on this board. i saw your add on at least 4 threads!

Jan 5th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Heather

I found a URL for the hotels you couldn't locate in Venice and Florence (http://www.allitalianhotels.com/). However, the site lists a "Capri" hotel in Venice, but doesn't mention if it's affiliated with Carlton hotels (it does have A/C, tho).

Sorry for no first-hand info (I'm more of a quaint hotel person), but hope that this helps or sparks other comments.

Have fun!

Jan 5th, 2001, 03:48 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Ellen Stayed at the Carlson Excutive a number of years ago
had been remodeled in the mid 70's and
was not a bad hotel. It is located
directly across the Grand Canal from
the S. Lucia RR Station. This would
be about 25 mins walk to the Pza S. Marco and 15 mins to the Rialto Bridge.
Vaporetto stops are on the station side
of the Grand Canal crossed by the bridge.
Would strongly recommend the Hotel Saturnia in Venice. The Plaza and
the De Le Ville in Rome and the Lungarno
and Continental in Firenze. Have used
these over the years and been very
satisified. For Venice hotels look
into www.veniceinfo.it, and others
try www.enit.it or www.venere.it/
Richard of La Grange Park, Il...

Jan 7th, 2001, 12:21 AM
Walter

Author: Walter ([email protected])
Date: 6/25/2000, 8:16 pm ET
Message: I stayed there in Feb96 for 11 days. It's a nice 4* hotel with everything that goes with that rating. The buffet breakfast then was *excellent* and the area (Via Cavour) is very safe. I personally like the Termini area as it makes getting around alot easier. Walk out of the hotel turn left, walk 1 block and buy your metro ticket from the Kiosk right next to the metro entrance. But I won't stay there again and haven't yet on my last 2 trips nor on my next one in Feb. only because of the rude treatment I received in the hotel restaurant. But that's just me and one waiter. Unless you like the Termini area I would think of staying in maybe a 3* hotel more centrally located for the same price or if you like the area and want to save money stay at the 3* Nord Hotel which is 1.5 blocks behind the Mediterraneo and in the same hotel chain. A *little* less fancy and with a decent buffet breakfast. But honestly there is nothing wrong with the Mediterraneo except one waiter's attitude IME. HTH Regards, Walter
Author: susan ([email protected])
Date: 6/27/2000, 1:32 am ET
Message: We stayed at the Mediterraneo in 1996 with a tour group. We were quite happy with our room (on the 6th floor I believe) but some in our group said their rooms weren't as nice. (But our room was on the small side.)
The hotel was designed by 1 of Mussolini's favorite architects.
We thought the location very convenient (it's close to the train station) so we could walk everywhere (but we don't mind walking 5 miles a day).
Some of the area was a little scruffy looking, but we weren't bothered. However, the tour company didn't return there the following year, supposedly because of increased crime at night (like pick pockets).
However, we'd stay there again for sure (& food was very good).

Jan 7th, 2001, 05:25 AM
tina

Hello,

I can only help you with Venice and tell you that you should really stay in an apartment to have the feeling of a real Venetian, if you are planning on staying in the city for a few nights. You will be more comfortable and have more amenities than you are mentioning and lots more space! I had a private terrace.
I stayed with VENICERENTALS.COM
They were fabulous, and I cannot say enough about them!
The price and experience were not comparable to a hotel room at all. Check out Rick Steve's web site under alternative lodgings on the message boards, they are written up everywhere.
Good luck

Jan 12th, 2001, 07:17 AM
topper

up for more info!

Jan 14th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Linda

I was in Rome November 2000 and stayed at De La Ville Intercontinential.
Its at the top of the Spanish Steps and does have some of the things you need - hairdryer , etc. The rooms are small but the location is excellent.