Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with Hotels for honeymoon in Capri and Positano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-hotels-for-honeymoon-in-capri-and-positano-184427/)

il capo Sep 2nd, 2001 11:55 AM

Help with Hotels for honeymoon in Capri and Positano

We are venturing to Capri and Positano next April for our honeymoon and are looking for some advice on hotels. We would like to spend somewhere between 200-300 USD/night, which probably eliminates the Le Sirenuse's of the world, but I have to believe we can still find a very decent hotel in this range. Any advice will be much appreciated - <BR> <BR>In addition, how does pricing work for these places. I see double rooms quoted and then supplements for additional people. Do double room rates cover both people? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Sep 2nd, 2001 12:36 PM

Double is just that. Try these in Positano: <BR>Casa Albertina--great views--$170 <BR>Palazzo Murat--lower in town--$200 <BR>Poseidon--nice 4 star on hill--$200 <BR> <BR>See www.positanonline.com

Wendy Sep 2nd, 2001 01:03 PM

I would highly recommend the Hotel Poseidon in Positano. We had a jr. suite there in July for about $330 a night with a beautiful terrace overlooking the town and beach. The staff is very accomodating, and the food couldn't be better. We also appreciated the fact that the hotel was somewhat removed from the crowds etc. in town. If you need any info, feel free to e-mail me. Good luck and congratulations!

richard j vicek Sep 2nd, 2001 09:36 PM

Good morning, Il capo di tuto capi!! <BR>Stayed on Capri only once and that was <BR>at the Europa Palace on Anacapri, however in later visits mainly day trips <BR>found the HOTEL SYRENE, had lunch there <BR>and it was excellant.. Was impressed with the hotel and if we were to return <BR>to Capri would pick this hotel. Check <BR>into its web site www.caprionline.com/syrene.index.html. <BR>Naturally some of the rooms do face the <BR>water and the Faraglioni. And is a <BR>short distance from the Pza di Capri <BR>a good night spot area.. <BR>

il capo Sep 3rd, 2001 07:48 PM

Thx to all - these all look beautiful. Does location matter on Capri..or is it smal enough that you can always get to where you want to be no matter what time of day?

Mark Sep 4th, 2001 02:12 PM

Hi, We honeymooned in Rome, Paestum, Amalfi Coast and Capri in '97. <BR> <BR>Regarding Capri, there are two sides to the island Capri and Anacapri (sp?). We statyed in Capri and were unable to get to the other side. WHile I think Anacapri had its own charm you probably want to stay in Capri which has more commercial life. We stayed at Hotel Luna which had great gardens and ocean edge views however the room we received wasn't great (this might have been because we gave the travel agent a cost ceiling on rooms) <BR> <BR>I forget where we stayed on Positano but I can't tell people enough to stay in Ravello instead of Positano. This place is like fairy tale land. Plus the road is so narrow that tour buses can't make it up! Its a really nice relaxing place to spend a couple days in the middle of a rushed honeymoon. Positano is nice - looks just like the postcards - but it was just too crowded, hilly and a bit grimy. <BR> <BR>Also, another overlooked place is Paestum. It has beautiful beaches and Greek ruins and isn not far from Sorento / Amalfi drive entrance.

Julie Hasson Sep 4th, 2001 02:28 PM

My fiance and I are also going to the Amalfi Coast next April for our honeymoon. I'd like to know, from the people who've been there, just how harrowing that drive really is. I'm told it's majestic and beautiful, but also scary. How narrow is that road- is it really treacherous?

CJ Sep 4th, 2001 03:31 PM

We went to Capri in September 1999 and it was HEAVEN ON EARTH! What a great honeymoon you will have! We stayed at the Quisisana Hotel for around $300 a night and loved it. The room was small, but we hardly spent any time in it. There is a big buffet breakfast included, and the hotel is gorgeous and at the center of all of the action in town. Fabulous pool, and a bar with an American who plays the piano each night. There is a website for the hotel -- you can probably find it through a Yahoo or Google search -- with pictures of the grounds. The owners of the Quisisana also have another hotel, La Scalinatella, which is very luxurious, but small and quiet. I prefer to be in the middle of the action, so it's up to you. We would also recommend dinner at a place called La Capanina. Cozy, friendly place with copper pans on the walls -- the porcini mushroom pasta was incredible!

Jo-Ann Sep 5th, 2001 10:18 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Eden Roc in Positano two years ago and will be there again in 2 weeks. I believe all of the rooms have a view of the coast/sea which is breathtaking. Our room was very large and very clean with a good sized bathroom as well. A continental breakfast is included.It is around the corner so to speak from LeSirenuse. There is a good site for Positano - www.positanonline.it <BR>The hotel is family owned and they could not be more helpful or charming. I belive this will fall nicely within your budget.

Katie Sep 27th, 2001 03:22 PM

Positano: La Fenice - a charming little B&B just outside of the heart of town. Stayed there 5 nights & it was our favorite hotel on our 3-week, 5-city-tour through Italy. <BR>It cost $200 USD/night for a large room (very plainly decorated), with large bathroom, private wrap-around terrace (with coffee table, two chairs & two lounge chairs) over the pool & breathtaking views of the sea. Positioning outside of town made this site a haven of tranquility. <BR>However, if you want to stay in the heart of the action, I would reccommend the beautiful Palazzo Murat. <BR> <BR>Capri: Hotel Luna - We stayed on Capri for four nights & the Luna was perfect! Beautiful views, gorgeous grounds (lots of flowers in the gardens - bougainevillia covered pathways). A beautiful pool, with a poolside restaurant, enabling a waiter to serve you drinks at your lounge chair. The food was good so we stayed there for lunch some days, too. Restaurant is open for dinner, but moves into the hotel at night. We paid under $300 USD/night for a room above the sea with a spectacular view of the Faraglioni. Large room with french doors opening onto our own large deck with table & chairs (we had room service bring our lunch to us on our deck one day - awesome!).

John G Sep 27th, 2001 07:48 PM

If I were staying in Capri it would have to be Quisisana for me. This is the best hotel on Capri. Luna is also nice, with a gorgeous pool. But, I think the staff at Luna is very snotty. I had lunch there and when I got up to leave I sat on one of the pool lounge chairs to tie my shoelace and a man came over and said that only hotel guests could sit there and where was my pass. I said I was only going to tie my shoelace for 2 seconds. He then said I could sit there if I paid a fee!!!! Can you believe???? I would never stay at such a place.

lisa Sep 28th, 2001 06:18 AM

In Positano we stayed at the Albergo Miramare which we LOVED -- huge terraces with gorgeous sea views, wonderful staff. The only thing it lacks is a pool so that might be a consideration. Their least expensive rooms start around $150 USD per night and go up from there. <BR> <BR>We did not stay overnight on Capri but ate lunch at the Quisisana by their pool which was absolutely lovely, with very good food and service and beautiful views.

Jenny Sep 28th, 2001 08:20 AM

I just got back from Italy and we stayed at the Buca di Bacco in Positano. I loved it. It was right on the water which I found was the perfect location to be in. We were close to everything. Our room was beautiful and we had a balcony facing the sea. I think we paid close to $190 with a great buffet breakfast included. We visited Ravello and loved it, but I don't think we could have stayed there. It was far too remote for us. We rented a scotter one day and it was a bit scary on the Amalfi Drive, but I think in a car it's really no big deal. It's a beautiful drive and you really need the freedom of having a car. <BR> <BR>We also spent one night in Capri and we stayed at Hotel Luna. If I had to do this over again I would either spend more time in Capri or skip it all together. I found it to be very touristy and after Positano, nothing compares. Capri town is like one big outdoor shopping mall. Anacapri had some beautiful views. If you are pressed for time spend more time in Positano. <BR> <BR>

Julie FitzWater Oct 5th, 2001 08:13 AM

We stayed at La Minerva Hotel in Capri and found it to be one of the highlights of our 5 week trip to France and Italy. I would highly recommend it for a honeymoon. For around $125.00 US per night you can have a deluxe room with private balcony overlooking the sea. The rooms are large, with beautiful, tiled bathrooms. Breakfast is served daily downstairs or on your balcony if you prefer. Check out their website: [email protected]. You'll find it as impressive as the hotel.

Katie Jan 16th, 2002 02:43 PM

This is a reply to John G's comments on the Hotel Luna (quoted from above):<BR>"...But, I think the staff at Luna is very snotty. I had lunch there and when I got up to leave I sat on one of the pool lounge chairs to tie my shoelace and a man came over and said that only hotel guests could sit there and where was my pass. I said I was only going to tie my shoelace for 2 seconds. He then said I could sit there if I paid a fee!!!! Can you believe???? I would never stay at such a place."<BR><BR>My response is that I have to (somewhat) back-up John G in this area...Although all of the hotel personnel was very kind & helpful, the Gentleman that worked the pool & rented the lounge chairs did appear to take his job very seriously, indeed. I watched him have this same type of interaction with visitors a couple times over the course of our stay. The reason I bring this up is because I learned that even if you are not staying at the Luna you can pay close to the same fee we were paying for a lounge chair & have full access to their pool & the pool side food & drink service. I thought that was really good to know - if I ever went back to Capri & wasn't able to get a room at the Luna, now I know that I could lay by & swim in the Luna pool every day & sip delicious wine poolside. It's a truly great option to keep in mind if you find you cannot get into a hotel on Capri with a pool.

Vincenzo Jan 17th, 2002 10:55 AM

Hi, capo.<BR>Every suggestion you received is, after my opinion a good suggestion.<BR>Anyhow my advices, according your spending are 3 for Capri and only 1 for Positano.<BR>Capri:<BR>Gatto Bianco, very pretty, into a very nice garden, fine terraces, good night life, at the centre of Capri.<BR>La Minerva, I like it very much.<BR>Nautilus, toward Marina Piccola.<BR>Positano:<BR>Casa Albertina.<BR>My<BR>My best wishes for your honeymoon.

John G Jan 17th, 2002 11:18 AM

Katie, I can tell the difference between formal and aloof, and snotty and rude. The poolman at Luna was the latter. He stood there while I was tying my shoelace to make sure I didn't linger after he tried to extort money from of me for "using" the chair. <BR><BR>I realize that many "day trippers" probably walk around the gardens of Luna and try to "camp out" on the lounge chairs. But, this man saw me eating lunch with my two companions just steps away. He knew I was no vagrant. If this is how Luna treats people who dine at their restaurant, they are obviously a poorly managed establishment.

zouaggie Jan 17th, 2002 11:33 AM

Wonderful 5-star hotel in a great area for walking. <BR><BR>http://www.travel-italy.com/hotels/h..._saraceni.html

DeAnn Jan 17th, 2002 01:15 PM

Another vote for Buca di Bacco. Fabulous view, location, staff, breakfast - really terrific!

Pierre Jan 18th, 2002 07:25 AM

Has anyone heard of the Villa Eva located in Anacapri??