Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with hotel choice in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-hotel-choice-in-rome-743956/)

Gor217 Oct 20th, 2007 04:39 PM

Help with hotel choice in Rome

My daughter and I are in the midst of planning our first trip to Italy in January; Have lodging in Venice and Florence but need input with Rome. Please provide input: Hotel Diocleziano, Hotel Raffaello, Hotel Golden, Hotel Modigliani, Hotel dei Papi de Charme, Hotel Duca d'Alba and Starhotel Michelangelo. What is best choice for location, amenities, safety? Many thanks for all the help.

gard Oct 21st, 2007 01:24 AM

Hi

Have you checked the reviews of the hotels on http://www.tripadvisor.com ?

If you need some input on Florence and Rome feel free to check out my trip reports on my homepage. You can find the Florence trip report on http://gardkarlsen.com/florence_italy_travelogue.htm and the Rome trip report on http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures

SusanP Oct 21st, 2007 02:33 PM

If you want recommendations on location, it would help if you gave the locations of these hotels!

ellenem Oct 21st, 2007 04:34 PM

For each hotel, I've added the general location so others can comment. I've ordered them from my preferred first choice to last choice, based totally on location.

Hotel Modigliani (up hill between Via Sistina and Via Veneto)

Hotel dei Papi de Charme (next to Castel St Angelo)

Hotel Duca d'Alba (on a side street near Cavour metro stop)

Hotel Golden (near Borghese and at top of Via Veneto area)

Starhotel Michelangelo (near San Pietro train Station)

Hotel Diocleziano (facing the bus terminus at Roma Termini train staion)

Hotel Raffaello ( on the wrong side--southeast of Roma Termini)

Hotel Raffaello is the only one that gives me any concern about safety. Some of the sidestreets in this area can seem a bit seedy.

sjj Oct 21st, 2007 05:13 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Duca d'Alba twice, in 1993 and 2003. The neighborhood is charming, the hotel is close to interesting stuff and to a metro stop, and the staff is efficient and helpful. But, and this is a big but, the room we occupied in 2003 was tiny and there were no other rooms available. So, I wouldn't stay there unless you get a guarantee that you'll be given a decent size room.

sacc Oct 22nd, 2007 11:50 AM

Hi Gor, is there any particular reason that you're looking at those hotels? I ask because they all seem to me to be a bit far out from the historic centre.

There is always lots of debate, of course, about favourite areas to stay in. I almost always pick the Campo de'Fiori area because, as a woman travelling solo, I like to be in a bustling part of the city where I know there will be lots of other people out and about, day and night! That helps me to feel safe, which makes it easy to go for a stroll after dinner, for example. And because it's central, it's also easy to walk to so many sites -- from the Vatican, to the Forum and even the Coliseum (altho that's a bit of hike!) It's also easy to take the little #116 electric minibus that runs through the historic centre up to places like the Villa Borghese, which might be a bit far to walk.

There are lots of good hotels and a wide price range to choose from in the Campo de'Fiori/Pantheon/Piazza Navona areas.

I'm actually going to be in Rome in early January as well, and although I've got an apartment booked this time, I might arrive a few nights before it's ready so I'll probably book at least a few nights at the hotel I always return to in the Campo neighborhood (especially because their rates really drop in winter!)

Best of luck planning, I'm sure you and your daughter will have a wonderful time!

SusanP Oct 22nd, 2007 01:10 PM

As far as location, I would agree with ellen, but I also think none of them are in a very good location. As mentioned, look closer to the center, near Piazza Navona, the Pantheon or Campo de' Fiori.

Gor217 Oct 22nd, 2007 03:05 PM

Thanks so much for all of your help! I'll take a closer look at the areas that you mentioned. Any particular hotels or inns that you'd recommend?

mellieb Oct 23rd, 2007 01:09 AM

Hi Gor, Im only just back from Rome, literally. I stayed in Navona Garden Suites, they were just amazing! It was the location that drew me to them initially, I also got a good review here on this sight and tripadvisor was full of them! They are so friendly there, Dennis an American dentist, who also runs his dentistry here, even gave us a little tour of the area to settle us in,he gave us a few restaurant recommendations near by (Navona Notte was great)and even had a welcoming aperitivo for us.
The rooms were great, and they also provided us with a transfer from the airport. I actually cant believe I got them at such short notice!! I was supposed to arrive next month but work complications meant I had to book last minute! I would definately recommend them to you.
Wishing you the Best.

ekscrunchy Oct 23rd, 2007 04:00 AM

The Raffaelo is the sister hotel of the Albergo del Senato. An Italian friend of mine in the travel business stays there often and gives it very high marks.

sacc Oct 23rd, 2007 05:59 AM

Gor, I've heard good things about the Navona Garden Suites and the Hotel Teatro di Pompeo, altho I haven't stayed in either. Someone else I know has just booked the Smeraldo near the Campo de' Fiori for a week in January. It gets quite good reviews on TripAdvisor and its rates are quite inexpensive. I keep going back to a hotel called the Residenza in Farnese, which is down a side street beside in the French Embassy in the Piazza Farnese. It's a four-star but its rates drop quite a bit in winter.

By the way, the fact you (and I, for that matter!) are visiting in Rome in January is, I think, another argument for finding a hotel right in the historic centre. Many people have told me that January in Rome isn't terribly cold but I gather it can get pretty rainy and at night, the wind can be chilly. So, you might not want to have to worry about walking too much or standing, waiting at bus stops if it gets chilly. I like to be able to dash back to my room if I need to change shoes or put on something warmer, which isn't any easy option if you stay too far out. The Hotel Raffaello looks perfectly nice, but it's a bit of a ways out from most of the major sites and isn't a great neighborhood to be walking in at night. Especially in winter, when it gets dark early, and especially if its your first visit to Rome.

Sometimes, trying to save money by picking a hotel outside the historic centre can be a false economy. I did that on my very first trip to Rome, stayed near Termini to save money. But in the end, I spent more on cabs and the metro to get around; and because the neighborhood was a bit dodgy for a lone woman, I didn't do nearly as much exploring as I have since then when I've stayed right in the centre.

Surfergirl Nov 17th, 2007 05:34 PM

Sorry, I haven't been lurking on this site lately, so maybe it's too late for any input, but I absolutely loved the Hotel Modigliani (I see St. Cirq on this board also found it a year after me). I like to walk, and I didn't think this hotel, which is on a quiet street, very close to the Spanish Steps, wasn't all that far from anything. Great little hotel and great location.

When we went, we were a party of 4, so we were on the top floor in this large room with a balcony, great view. Small bathroom. Dug the breakfast and the blood red oj!