Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with Hotel Cesar in Bonnieux (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-hotel-cesar-in-bonnieux-385661/)

suze1 Jun 26th, 2008 01:51 PM

Help with Hotel Cesar in Bonnieux

I've been looking for hotels in the Luberon area, I came across L'Hotel Cesar in Bonnieux. It looks wonderful on the pictures, the price is 75 Euros for a double room with terrace and private bathroom. Has anyone stayed at this hotel, the prices seem to good to be true. With the dollar being so weak it would be a great bargain. Opinions please.
www.hotel-cesar.com

Underhill Jun 26th, 2008 03:20 PM

Wow! The place looks very nice, especially for the price--and with a/c, too. I just wonder why the cost is so low--perhaps someone here has stayed at the hotel and can comment.

cigalechanta Jun 26th, 2008 03:32 PM

Its right smack in town. We often stopped for a drink there.

suze1 Jun 26th, 2008 03:54 PM

So, smack right in the middle of town, does that mean stay there or don't stay there.

Would Le Clos du Buis or La Ferme de La Huppe be a better choice. They're both more expensive.

cigalechanta Jun 26th, 2008 03:59 PM

No, it's not noisy in town. It's close to my favorite resto there La Fournil and the shop Abeille. There's a porch like terrace that you can sit and watching the passing parade.
La Huppe and Buis have had good reviews.
I'd give it a chance.

crazyfortravel Jun 26th, 2008 04:54 PM

We recently stayed at Le Clos du Buis for 5 nights and very much enjoyed our stay there. Pierre was a very gracious host and we enjoyed the fact that there was an equipped kitchen at our disposal. Two nights we brought food that we purchased at the market and had a lovely dinner of bread, cheese, fresh Sausauge, tapinade, Olives, tomatoes etc. washed down with a nice bottle of rose.

Le Clos du Buis has a lovely garden and pool depending on the time of year your going.

The main question I would ask the Cesar would be regarding the parking situation. I don't recall seeing any parking near there and it would be a bit of a trek from the public lot below town. They may have an arrangement close by. The streets are very narrow so you can't really park on the street at the top of town.

We thought Bonnieux made for a good base to see the region.

cigalechanta Jun 26th, 2008 05:14 PM

The Buis should start giving discounts to fodorites. They get alot of Business because of this forum.

marthag Jun 26th, 2008 06:56 PM

My friend and I each had a 75 Euro double room, with terrace. The rooms were very sterile and stripped down, but clean and functional. There is no "provencal charm" but the location is excellent, and the rooms with marvelous views over the valley are quiet.

There is no private or reserved parking, and we had to hope to find parking on the street or in a public parking lot.

Our first choice was Le Clois du Buis, but they were booked for our dates a year in advance.

Hotel Cesar is acceptable, but it won't be one of your favorite hotels.

InMiami Jun 26th, 2008 07:45 PM

suze1, I have tried to make a reservation at the Le Clos du Buis for May 2009 but they are already booked.

They entertain the same tour groups every year in May and parts of June.

I would e-mail them to see if they have availability for your dates.

Le Clos was my first choice and I am disappointed that I will have to look elsewhere.

crazyfortravel Jun 27th, 2008 05:13 AM

Le Clos de Buis oozes provencal charm. The parking issue is not one that I would want to contend with. Le Clos had private gated parking for approximately 6 cars.

There are also 3 public lots within a stones throw of the hotel. We actually parked at the public lot in front of the fire station. There were campers parked there at night and since it was directly in front of the fire station we thought it safe. It was much easier to get in and out of town each day.

You might want to email them and see if they still have avail...if they don't your decision will be made for you.

justretired Jun 27th, 2008 06:11 AM

We stayed in Bonnieux in an aprtment for 3 weeks last fall and often had afternoon drinks on the terrace at L'Hotel Cesar. As others have said, parking is an isuue. Depending on the time of year, I suspect you will have difficulty and will need to depend on public lots, somew of which are not too far away. The Clos du Buis is a charming B&B , with parking, and located at the bottom of the village. I liked that location better, but that's my opinion.

Good luck and write if you have questions aboout Bonnieux.

-Margie

suze1 Jun 27th, 2008 07:58 AM

Thanks, I think I will book at Clos du Buis.

Underhill Jun 27th, 2008 08:51 AM

While I love La Ferme de la Huppe, it's over near Gordes, not Bonnieux.

suze1 Jun 27th, 2008 09:36 AM

For those of you that have stayed at Clod du Buis do the rooms have a TV. My husband's requirement.

crazyfortravel Jun 27th, 2008 09:50 AM

There is a TV in the lounge area. No one was watching it other than the soccer match one night so access shouldn't be an issue.

cigalechanta Jun 27th, 2008 10:04 AM

You won't find Tvs in rooms at any of these places, usually only large hotels.

justretired Jun 29th, 2008 07:21 AM

By the way, our trip reoprt on our three weeks in Bonnieux can be found at:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35087107

Larry

marthag Jun 29th, 2008 10:25 AM

Suze 1,

The Hotel Cesar has TVs in the rooms. However, as I remember, there were no English language stations.

britomart Jul 8th, 2008 05:05 PM

We just got back from Provence and stayed at the Mas des Deux Puits in Bonnieux, which was fantastic. Our room had a beautiful view overlooking their lavender fields. It has a fantastic pool and with the weather in the mid-90's, we looked forward to going for a swim each evening after sightseeing. Lots of Provencal charm too. It's not in town, but close.

http://www.masdesdeuxpuits.com/

cigalechanta Apr 16th, 2010 02:30 PM

topping for Christina