Help with graduation trip to Paris--March 09

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several friends and I are planning a week long trip to Paris with our daughters to celebrate their high school graduation next year. There will be eight of us on the trip, all women. We would like to stay together in a house or apartment. I am considering a place in the Montmartre area because it's one of the only houses I've found that can accommodate 8 people. Several of the adults have visited Paris before, but the girls haven't. What do you think of staying in Montmartre, near a Metro station? Does anyone have suggestions for finding a place large enough for our group?
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:27 PM

You might want to rent 2 apartments. Here's a link that shows 3 2-bedroom apts in the same location.

http://www.paris-flats.com/aparts.html

And here's another one with 2 2-bedroom apts near the Palais Royal.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Here's the second link.

http://www.parisvacationapartments.com/
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 09:01 PM

I'd be concerned about the number of bathrooms, not just sleeping space.

Montmartre would not be my first choice of locations. Rather depends on what metro station would be close by - some places on Montmartre require more than one connection (with the potential for lots of walking to transfer between lines.)

You have plenty of time, and might want to look around for two apartments if not in the same building then close to each other - preferably two 2/2's. The ones suggested by adrienne would work, but there are others at lower prices. Take a look at http://tinyurl.com/6fcvl9 which might work for you. I've had good luck with that site, btw.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 09:09 PM

Montmatre definitely wouldn't be my choice...too far for me personally. Maybe try getting two apartments. vacationinparis.com is whom I rented from. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM

Also would not choose Montmartre, not central , and only walking distance to one site really.
I would definately choose another area, 4th, 5th or 6th would be better IMHO.

I also would not put all 8 of you together, at most with 2 toilets, yuck, and good luck getting enough hot water for 8 showers daily,, yikes. I would find a decent hotel and get 4 rooms, the girls stay together two to a room and moms stay together.
If you are lucky and research alot you may find a situation where you will find two , two or three bedroom apartments that each have two bathrooms, that would be ideal, but harder to find.
There are quite a few apartment rental agencies, and there are often two or more apartments in the same building that can be rented together.

Too much togetherness looks good on paper only, I'd make sure you all have a bit of breathing room..

Is this is part of a longer trip,it is so far to come for only a week.. are you going somewhere else too?
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. I was dubious about staying in Montmartre, and you confirmed we should stay elsewhere. And I appreciate your concerns about all of us being together all the time! I think 2 apts. would be a great idea.

We are traveling on the girls' spring break, so only have a week. We plan to stay in Paris, and do several day trips. Keep the suggestions coming!
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 05:42 AM
ira

Hi L,

>We plan to stay in Paris, and do several day trips. <

With only a week, I wouldn't plan any daytrips.

Wait to see if Paris bores you before deciding.

Have you searched <Paris apartment> in the "search this forum" box?

Old Sep 6th, 2008, 06:36 AM

Others have said it already--not Montmartre, not "several" day trips. Maybe none to one!
I would strongly suggest you hire Michael Osman for two of your days. One for an overview of Paris (wherever you want to go) and another for an overview of museums. It will absolutely MAKE your trip.
If you can find two apartments near one another, it could work. Depending on what your budget is Citadines apartments would be an option. How do the "families" split up--is it 4 grads and mom each?
You might be able to find a good 2* hotel and get 4 rooms. Have breakfast together, gather in their lobby or one of the rooms for fellowship. We took our kids and their spouses for a week (and could NOT work in a trip to VErsailles even) and each had their own room, but that is married couples, of course. We were 8 all together.
Eating out will require some reservations for that number also--just something to keep in mind as you plan and get closer.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 06:39 AM

Let me add one more thing about Michael. It is good for a group that size and diverse to have someone else "in charge" for a couple of days. I have been to Paris a LOT and all our children and spouses had been at least once, but I didn't want to say "we'll see this and we'll do that" and be the BOSS. But I did want them to have a good taste of what was available. Then they could do what they wanted--join the group or go off on their own.
Michael can also tell you about shopping, history, etc. and with GREAT good humor. Young people LOVE him.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

I love the suggestion of Michael Osman. It can be difficult to travel in a group with more chiefs than indians!

Two of us are taking our mothers, so we have 2 very energetic late 60 yr. old grandmothers, 3 40+ yr. olds and 3 18 yr. olds. I will investigate Michael Osman and will continue the search for appropriate accomodations.

Thanks for all your input, everyone.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 05:18 PM

VERY cool group. YOu will have an absolutely time of all your lives!! Can't wait to hear about it.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 06:01 PM

We loved this apartment http://www.vrbo.com/123825 which sleeps 4-6 (2 bathrooms) and is next to two other studios apartments with the same owner. One of the studios is connected to the 2-BR apt, while the other is right next to it.

Five of us stayed comfortably in the spacious 2-BR while our 2 friends stayed in one of the studios. The location, right across the street from the Pompidou Center, was very convenient even during the subway strike. MANY great boulangeries within a block.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 06:07 PM

I can't find the listing for the adjoining studios; you can email the owner of the 2-BR to ask.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 11:23 PM

I agree you cannot , and more importantly should not count on " serveral daytrips" , but I disagree that you can't get one done .

If I had to choose one, it would be Versailles, have the girls see the Kirsten Dunst movie "Marie Antoinette" on DVD before you go, parts of it were actually filmed onsite(and that is a rare privildge given to American film director Sophia Coppola) . It will make it more fun( don't count on the movie being too factual though, LOL< I mean it just to set the mood really.

Its also the eastiest daytrip I think.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 03:14 AM

If them watch that movie, make sure they know that the futuristic birthday party in Opera Garnier is an anachronism!
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 10:47 AM

Mlle Fifi - that place looks great! Do you recall the address of the building? What was the noise like? Closest metro?
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Bozama, I was actually in Paris this summer and was lucky enough to see a fabulous exhibit about Marie Antoinette at the Royal Palais. I haven't seen the movie, but most of the girls have, and are dying to go to Versailles. I'm sure we will do that, but will probably play the rest (day trips) by ear.

Mlle Fifi, I've sent a request for info to the owner of the apartment you recommended. It does look great.

Thank you for your invaluable information.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 01:26 PM

Seamus, I don't remember the number, but it's on rue Rambuteau overlooking Place Pompidou. Being on a high floor (6th?), I didn't notice any street noise. Here's a photo I took-- our balcony is at the upper right corner of the photo, just above the dark green part of the building. http://images32.fotki.com/v1066/phot...11B1347-vi.jpg Rambuteau metro is at the end of the block. One of these days I should do a belated trip report.