Help with Germany and France Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help planning our itinerary for our 12 day trip to Germany and France in May.

We are flying into Frankfurt and then flying out of Paris 12 days later. I know we want to spend 4 nights in Paris before our return. That leaves 8 nights to spend between Frankfurt and Paris. So far, I know I would like to go to the following cities/regions but I am having trouble with the planning and logistics.

Days 1 and 2 Black Forest, specifically Baiersbronn staying at either the Bareiss or the Traube Tonbach.

Days 3 and 4 Strasbourg with day trip to Nancy

Days 5 and 6 Stay in a small village in Alsace (Ribeauville at Clos st Vincent?) and drive the Route de Vin including Colmar.

Days 7 and 8 Burgundy, including Beaune and Dijon

We would like to rent a car at Frankfurt Airport and drop the car in Burgundy and train to Paris. My only worry going straight to the Black Forest is driving that far after a transatlantic flight. I was thinking of staying one night in Heidelberg and then driving from there. But that takes up one extra day that I really don't have unless I take a day off somewhere else

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:26 AM

>>specifically Baiersbronn staying at either the Bareiss or the Traube Tonbach.<<

These are excellent choices, especially in terms of food.

Driving time from the airport to Baiersbronn will be 2:30. This is not really long and I would suggest to drive directly to Baiersbronn and to enjoy the wonderful hotel there.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM

You are likely to pay a hefty fee to pick a car up in Germany and drop it off in France.
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

Originally we thought we would just take a train to Strasbourg from Frankfurt Airport and start our journey there. But, the idea of spending a couple of days at one of the grand old hotels of the Black Forest really appealed to us. I guess we have to decide if the surcharge is worth getting the car in Germany or Strasbourg as we had originally planned. Of course, we would save the train fare from Frankfurt to Strasbourg which would make save some money there to offset the surcharge of the car.

The surcharge seems to be about $220 with Avis....do all of the big rental car companies charge a one way surcharge?

I would still love some input on my itinerary from you experts!

Thanks again for any help.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:01 AM

Your itinerary sounds good.

As already said, the drive to Baiersbronn is not that long and mostly on the autobahn. No strenuous city passage.

You will arrive in one of those fabulous hotels and unwind in the spa. For dinner, you may enjoy some of the world's best cuisine.

The next day, you may explore the Black Forest area - hiking, visiting old monasteries, glassblowing, maybe a brewery. And again, outstanding food.

From Baiersbronn to Strabourg is just a short hop. You will have three full days for Alsace if you discount the day with your daytrip to Nancy. This would be plenty.

I am not sure if it real necessary to change your accomodation while in Alsace. Driving time between Strasbourg and Colmar is 50min.

(If you want to stay between Strasbourg and Colmar in a small village, Ottrott comes into my mind with a nice hotel there:
www.leclosdesdelices.com)

Driving time from Alsace to Bourgogne is 2:30. This means, you will have almost two days in Bourgogne, giving you enough time for sightseeing, wine-tasting etc.

It is a good idea to drop off the car in either Beaune or Dijon and take the TGV to Paris.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Traveller1959

Thank you for your advice. I had not thought of staying in Strasbourg for four nights while exploring Alsace. People on this board said it is not easy getting in and out of there so I thought about staying in a small village for two nights for a change of pace.

Also, can you compare and contrast the Bareiss and the Tonbach. Have you been to either one?

Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 04:07 AM

Bareiss and Traube Tonbach are exactly in the same league - in terms of cuisine, ambiance, leisure, everything. Maybe the Traube has the nose ahead.

I would simply see who offers the better deal.

Be aware that both hotels are expensive.
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 03:28 PM

Back from a three week trip in Europe in which ten days were spent in the Alsace Lorraine area. My husband and I loved it so much that we are returning next year.

Getting in and out of Strasbourg isn't too difficult as long as you have a GPS system. Staying at the Hilton provides for the easiest way to get in and out of the city.
Great concierge staff.

Strabourg is a beautiful city and highly recommend staying there for two days.

Despite the short distance I suggest taking a train from Strasbourg to charming Colmar. It's easy and allows for you to sample wine. in 2009 we are making Colmar are base town due to location and transportation options. Also lots of tours depart Colmar for other towns and villages along the Wine Route.

Drive to the smaller villages along the Wine Route because the scenery is spectacular. Ribeauville and the towns leading up to it are so cute you'll run out of film and the food is outstanding. Next time we are definetly biking in this area.

After seeing the Alsace region the college town of Dijon is going to be a letdown. Personally I wouldn't go there and instead add an extra day to Alsace and Paris.

By the way you can save almost 50% on the cost of renting a car if you call the office directly in the town you want to pick it up instead of the 800 line in the states. The cost for renting a midsize automatic with AC for two weeks from AVIS was only 638 Euros. The next lowest price was 1,200 Euros.

By the way the surcharge for dropping it off in another country was only 75 Eruos.

You are going to have a wonderful vacation.