Reload this Page >

Hotel Flora in Venice?

Search

Hotel Flora in Venice?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 1999, 05:27 AM
Marge

Hotel Flora in Venice?

Hotel Flora in Venice, Italy,is the first place I found with two rooms available when I need them. Is this a good choice, or do I stay in Hotel Bologna in Mestre?

Old Feb 14th, 1999, 06:21 AM
Nicole

Marge, <BR>I would definitely stay in Venice rather than Mestre for convenience and atmosphere. I have not personally stayed in Hotel Flora, but have heard great things about it. On my last trip to Venice, I tried to book there (after reading about it in travel books and on internet bulletin boards like this one) but they were all booked up. We wound up in Hotel Do Pozzi, which we would not return to again. Next time I'll book Hotel Flora. By the way, a great guide book to Venice is "Venice and the Veneto" by Eyewitness Travel Guides -- full of general maps, detailed street maps in the back, photos, info on lankmarks and restaurants, etc.

Old Feb 14th, 1999, 12:50 PM
elaine

I stayed at the Flora this past October. I fell in love with Venice, and with this hotel. The location could not be better, a five minute walk from San Marco,10-15 minutes to the Accademia. It is on a quiet alley off a main street. The main street, Calle XXIII marzo, has some overpriced but attractive cafes, beautiful shops, and the American Express office. The hotel serves a nice continental breakfast in the morning, and in pleasant weather you can sit in the pretty courtyard. There is a small elevator. The service staff are friendly and helpful. I had a single room and did find it to be pleasant in decor but extremely small. The bathroom was quite modernized but also quite small, but I didn't mind at all. By the end of the first day I felt quite at home. <BR>I also thought the Eyewitness Guide was pretty good, but my indispensable book was a Frommer book called "10 Walking Tours of Venice" or something close to that. It was a step-by-step guide that gave me fascinating information about <BR>the buildngs, canals, churches, art works, etc that I was passing on my walks <BR>The best map I found is "Streetwise Venice" which is pocket size, foldable, laminated and yet completely detailed for 90% of Venice. Your bookstore can order it, but it is a much better map than in the "Artwise" series, although they have the same publisher. <BR>If you want any more info, email me. <BR>Good luck. <BR>

Old Feb 16th, 1999, 06:52 AM
brian

Elaine is right on target about the HOtel Flora. It is one of the most charming hotels you can find. I've stayed at the Flora and would not stay anywhere else in Venice! One word of caution-some of the rooms do not have a bathroom directly attached to the bedroom. You have to go out of your room, into the hall and then into the bathroom. It is a private bath, in that no one else uses it, but it still means you have to put on some clothes when going to and from the bath. And some of the rooms are extremely small. Even with that said, I would stay at the Flora regardless of the room choice. But ask about what set up you are getting and make your decision based on your needs. The private garden courtyard where breakfast is served is unbelievably beautiful. The service is wonderful and the location can't be beat. Have fun. Email me if you have any [email protected]

Old Feb 16th, 1999, 08:46 AM
Joe

What's the cost of a double at the Flora, please?

Old Feb 17th, 1999, 05:00 AM
Marge

Joe: Hotel Flora e-mail is [email protected]. We reserved "double room bath exterior but private + 1 small twinbedsroom with bath inside" for Lit 320,000 each. The internet sites are quoting 1650 Lit to the US dollar, but the latest quote from WS Journal is 1716.Marge

Old Feb 17th, 1999, 07:19 PM
Linda

Marge, <BR>Don't stay in Mestre - you really need to be IN Venice to enjoy it. Haven't stayed at the Hotel Flora, but it sounds nice from others' recommendations. One hotel I can recommend is the Hotel Metropole on Riva Degli Schiavone. It's right on the canal and not far from Piazza San Marco (St. Mark's), Bridge of Sighs and some very expensive properties like the Hotel Danieli. Stayed there last October and it was magical. We opened the windows at night and heard an opera next door. It's also the only place that serves a buffet-style meal in Venice (something quite new to Venetians and very popular). <BR>

Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved Hotel Flora. It is an oasis in the middle of Venice. The courtyard is lovly, a garden, and we could see the tree tops and hear the birds from our large, comfortable room.OUr breakfst was served in this garden. The staff was very helpful as well. There is a computer for guest use for a small fee.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Flora is nice, but, like the majority of accomodation in Venice's historical center, it's overly expensive, particularly for a 2 star hotel-it's over $200 for a double only in low season, and then it jumps up to $400 in high season. And of course, you're right there at Piazza San Marco-which is okay, if that's what you want, but there are quieter, far less expensive accomodations that are really wonderful away from San Marco in San Polo and Cannaregio particularly.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:22 PM

sooo. 9 years later.. how is hotel flora NOW?

we stayed 12 years ago, and it was as described then, but only recent stays could vouch for the rooms.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:43 PM

Still fabulous!

Anna Roz