help with europe travel

Jan 5th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

help with europe travel

Hi there..

I am planning a trip to europe in March 2006 an would like some information from you.

Planned trip
I am planning to go to paris and stay 4 nights(Do you know of any hostels or cheap accomadation in that area)
Then I would like to travel to london(Do you know of any cheap options to travel to london)
(Would like to know of any hostels or cheap accomadation in the london area)

From London would like to go to Madrid(would like to know of cheap option to travel)
(I have accomadation in Madrid)

From Madrid would like to travel to Italy(not sure where in Italy)(cheapest option milan,venice or rome)

and from Italy would like to travel to Bordeaux in France..
Is there a direct train from Italy to Bordeaux in France
(I have accomadation in Bordeaux)

I would like to cost out and find out more information about traveling in europe before I make any flight reservations..

What is the cheapest option to travel between France /Spain/Italy/Londen?
I have read about the eurorailselect passes.(Is that a good option??)(You can only use it for travel bewteen major cities)
Is there a bus that travels from all the main cities in france,italy and spain area??
Do you have to make bookings before arriving at a hostel or hotel in europe?And can you recommend any websites that I can go and have a look for cheap accomadation?

I am abit unsure about travelling in europe and accomadation in London/Paris and Italy ?? and about How much it would cost?

I will be 25 when travelling and would like to know if its neccesary to have the international youth card??Can't you just show your passport ??
My husband will be travelling with me and he is about 26 at the moment.Does he qualify for any discounts?

Sorry for all the questions..Not sure who to ask and somebody gave me your website address..

Thanks

Waiting for your reply...

Nadia
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:52 PM

Check for chepa flights at:

http://www.whichbudget.com/
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:19 AM
ira

Hi Nadia,

For Paris to London, you can purchase a 1-day RT ticket for 60 GBP. This is the cheapest fare. It takees you from city center to city center.

See www.eurostar.com

You will probably find it easier and cheaper to fly from Italy to Bordeaux.

Jan 6th, 2006, 11:35 AM

You seem to be back-tracking a couple of times..

Why not this route:
London
Paris
Bordeaux
Madrid
Italy
-or-
London
Madrid
Italy
Bordeaux
Paris
Jan 6th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Sometimes flying on a budget airline for the longer distances is more economical than the train. You need to know how much you will be traveling to know if any type of a train pass is worth the money, or if you will be better of with point-to-point tickets.

I think hostels are generally around 25-35 euro per person per bed. (So this may or may not be cheaper than 2-people in a cheap hotel.) You can book them ahead from home or once you are in Europe via the internet by emailing from one hostel to the hostel in the next city to see if there is availability.

Also try www.lonelyplanet.com and go to their forum similar to this one called The Thorn Tree. Try the Western Europe branch and Shoestring Travel for ideas of traveling on the cheap (it has many young, backpacker types who post there and excellent current information for the most part).

Jan 6th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Two hostel sites I found for booking, never stayed in one:
http://www.hostelworld.com/
http://www.hostels.com/en/index.html
Overview guide to point you where to look for cheap flights:
http://www.flybudget.com/
Paris to London I would highly recommend the Eurostar. You save on getting to an airport in both directions, it is easier, it is prettier, overall takes about the same time if you include getting to airport times and the security lines are MUCH shorter!
That's all I can help.