My family and I are traveling to Italy in June/July and want to spend 2 nights in Emilia-Romagna. We will be coming from Umbria, after staying in a villa outside of Perugia for a week; we will have a car, and we'll be heading to Venice afterwards for the last leg of our trip. There are 6 of us: myself, wife, kids (ages 8 and 5) and my parents (early 60s). Unfortunately, we only have a Saturday and Sunday night to work with as the rest of the trip is locked in.
I am looking for some advice from fodorites on what may be a nice town to stay in: centrally located along our itinerary; kid-friendly; car accessible. Not sure if it is better to stay in a city at a hotel or at an agriturismo out in the country. Was thinking about Bologna or Parma for cities, though the vibe I'm getting about Bologna isn't good: dirty, lots of graffiti, difficult with a car. If anyone's stayed in these cities or in the surrounding areas, I'd love to know about your experiences.
We're interested in visiting a prosciutto and/or parmasean factory, so if anyone can help with information there as well, I'd appreciate it. I've heard there are museums to some of the regional food specialties, I would love to know if any of you have been to those. Also, thinking of visiting the Ferrari museum.
Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stay for Mont Saint-Michel
- 2 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 3 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 4 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 5 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 6 GTG Paris December 2017
- 7 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 8 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 9 Barcelona to Malaga
- 10 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 11 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 12 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 13 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann 2017
- 14 Which Area in London?
- 15 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 16 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 17 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 18 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 19 Copying a post on Swiss gondolas.
- 20 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 21 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 22 Paris November 2017
- 23 Ravenna and Mexico City...who knew?
- 24 Christmas day lunch in prague
- 25 Transportation in Brittany