Help with Edinburgh to Pitlochry Choices

Old Jan 28th, 2022, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Edinburgh to Pitlochry Choices

Planning our first trip to Scotland for late summer early fall and while I'd love to see everything on my wish list I know I must make choices.
We'll be heading out of Edinburgh and heading to Pitlochry and my list of places to see along the way is I'm afraid too long. Blackness Castle

Stirling Castle

National Wallace Monument

Church of the Holy Rude

Linlithgow Palace

Doune Castle

Drummond Castle Gardens
Dunkeld Cathedral
From what I see, Stirling Castle might need more than just a quick stop and should be done maybe at the end of the trip from Glasgow with Wallace Monument and Church of the Holy Rude but would like to hear opinions.

Also, are any of these on the list not worth seeing or preferred over others? I don't see a lot of tours listing Drummond Castle Gardens so I wonder if that should go. Planning to see Blair Castle and Gardens on the way to Inverness so is Drummond the same? is one better than the other?

thanks for your input!
Angie

Last edited by angieaffolter; Jan 28th, 2022 at 06:39 PM.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 08:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a couple of quick comments . . . Drummond castle gardens is unique and magnificent. Is an absolute must IMO . . . and in Fall the colours of the foliage will be even more special.

No - Stirling Castle is not a 'quick stop'. It is enormous and very interesting, and you should plan on a minimum of 3 hours there,

Are you expecting to visit all those places on ONE dat en route Edinburgh to Pitlochry? Absolutely not possible. That is a three day list (and I'd definitely add Doune Castle to the list.

Tours don't list Drummond castle because it isn't a place for massive coach tours.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for that input - Given I don't have 3 days, is there anything you'd drop off that list?
FYI I'm seeing that Doune Castle is closed to visitors for restoration. I'm trying to find out when it's planned to reopen. Hopefully in time!

thanks again,
Angie
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 09:02 PM

before I suggest what to drop . . . is there a special reason you are going to Pitlochry? How many days are you spending in Edinburgh (it is hard to give useful advice w/o the full picture)? And where are you headed after Pitlochry? Pitlochry is a decent enough resort town but isn't worth dropping places like Stirling or Dunkeld.

For instance . . . Linlithgow is a short train ride from central Edinburgh so could be done as a partial day trip from the city.

But the whole thing is pretty difficult. The straight drive (JUST the drive) Edinburgh > Blackness > Linlithgow > Stirling Castle/Holy Rood/Wallace Monument > Drummond Castle > Dunkeld > Pitlochry would take a minimum of 4 hours. That is with no stops or sightseeing.

If you only have one day and IF Pitlochry is a must Then you might be able to fit in Stirling Castle, Drummond Castle Gardens, Dunkeld Cathedral plus a lunch somewhere -- that would be a 3-ish hour drive plus 3-ish hours at Stirling Castle, 45 mins to 1 hour at Drummond and the same at Dunkeld . . . so an 8 to 9 hour day skipping everything else on your list.

Scotland isn't a place for quick touring . . .
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 08:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just FYI, dozens of historical sites throughout Scotland are undergoing structural inspections with entry currently restricted or closed, and it doesn't sound like these are mere pauses in access.

Read the article at the link below (posted last week). Linlithgow is on the list. And keep in mind, not all sites are within HES' purview... like Blair. At the end of the article is a link to sign up for email alerts.

https://www.historicenvironment.scot...climate-change

"Scotland isn't a place for quick touring..." Amen to that.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Pitlochry is just a place to stay for the night then continue on to Clava Cairns, Culloden, Loch Ness, Urquhardt Castle, then Inverness the next day.
Next day to Eileen Doolean then Skye for a couple days.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for sharing that!!
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by angieaffolter
Pitlochry is just a place to stay for the night then continue on to Clava Cairns, Culloden, Loch Ness, Urquhardt Castle, then Inverness the next day.
Next day to Eileen Doolean Eilean Donan then Skye for a couple days.
You will see almost the full length of Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle en route from Inverness to Skye. Plenty of time to do Inverness > Urquhart > Eilean Donan and on to Skye. Heck you could even throw in a boat ride on Loch Ness from right in Drumnadrochit (next to Urquhart). As for Eilean Donan - just do a quick photo op stop -- 30 minutes is way more than enough -- no need to cross the causeway and go inside.

So doing Loch Ness / Urquhart the following day you don't need to stay over in Pitlochry at all. You could do Stirling Castle and the Church of the Holy Rood, Doune Castle (if it is open) and Drummond Castle and stay the night in Crieff. Next day visit Dunkeld, Blair Atholl, Culloden/Clava Cairns and stay the night in Inverness.

. . . By a couple of days on Skye -- do you mean three nights??
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm that could work!
Is it worth stopping at the Blair Castle and Gardens or not? I had both on my list, maybe it's too similar to Drummond?
Two nights in Skye then off to Glennfinnan/Ben Nevis/Glencoe

Thanks again for your input!
Angie

Last edited by angieaffolter; Jan 29th, 2022 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 12:04 PM

Drummond Castle is not open. Drummond Castle gardens are unique and much better than Blair Castle gardens.

If you want to visit a castle, then the inside of Blair Castle is a lot more interesting than the inside of Eilean Donan castle (which is early C20th restoration). The outside of Eilean Donan is worth stopping to take a picture of, but don't waste your time going round it.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 12:16 PM

Drummond Castle Garden is really unique. Blair Castle is fine - no reason to avoid it but a lot depends on what other castles you are seeing in Scotland. I could give it a miss -- the gardens are large but not really 'worth' a special visit (I hate that 'worth' word since everything is subjective)

There are four main 'types' of castles in Scotland.. The big daddies - like Edinburgh and Stirling. Ruins, some of which are really terrific - Doune, Donnottar, Kilchurn, Urquhart etc. The 'Palace/Manor House-types' with posh contents and sometimes gardens like Glamis, Culzean, Blair, Dunvegan, Inveraray etc. And traditional tower houses like Craigevar, Crathes, Fraser etc.

I have favorites in all those categories - but Blair really isn't one of them. Since you will be on Skye I'd go to Dunvegan and maybe skip Blair -- but play it by ear, if you get an early start and after Dunkeld you think you have time to visit Blair before heading up towards Culloden -- then do so. Otherwise can skip it/

2 nights is very short on Skye The island is very large and the travel is quite slow. And in late summer there will be masses of people (the isle is large enough to absorb a lot of visitors but the roads, parking areas, restaurants, lodging can't really. The driving will likely be even slower than normal.

It would help a LOT if you would tell us you whole Scotland itinerary so we can see where you might have issues - including the exact dates. You said 'late summer early Fall' so it sounds like you may be there in part of August - if so that is important to know because some places even besides Edinburgh (which is a total zoo -- great fun but EXTREMELY crowded the entire month of August due to the Fringe, other festivals, and the Tattoo) are heavily impacted in August.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 12:21 PM

didn't see Wasley's post . . . he's correct, as he mentions . . . Drummond Castle Gardens is for the Gardens - never for the castle. Blair Castle is for the castle - seldom for the gardens. But as castles go Blair really is sort of meh. It is heavily visited because it is just off the main highway from the south up to Inverness and is a convenient stop.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, wasleys !
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

As far as dates, I'm torn. I understand that August is a Challenge, but the Military Tattoo it SO tempting.
If we do go for it, we'd get into Edinburgh on August 26th, to catch the last day of Tattoo on the 27th, otherwise I'd shoot for arriving September 2nd or 9th.
Plan is:
Day 1 - (arrive and whatever we can manage with jet lag - coming from US)
Day 2-3 Edinburgh (there seems to be a lot to see and do
Day 4 - The Edinburgh to Creiff (as you suggested)
Day 5 - Dunkeld, Queen's View, Blair Castle and Gardens (if time), Clava Cairns, Culloden, to Inverness
Day 6 - Inverness to Eileen Donan (Loch Ness and Urquhart along the way) to Skye and whatever we can tackle in Skye for that Day
Day 7 - Whatever we can fit in Skye - in no particular order, Fairy Pools, Fairy Glen, Nesit Point, Dunvegan Castle, Skye Museum of Island Life, Duntulm, Quirang, Kilt Rock, Old Man of Storr. Not expecting to see them all, but whatever we can
Day 8 - Glenfinnan Viaduct, Monument, Trail, Fort William, Ben Nevis, Commando Memorial, Glencoe then to Glasgow
Day 9 - Day in Glasgow.
Day 10 - head home

Thanks!
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 08:20 PM

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer but I do fear you are biting off an awful lot in too few days. You have allotted 5 days to travel from Edinburgh, to Stirling, through the Highlands, to Inverness/Culloden, Loch Ness, Skye, Glencoe and on to Glasgow. The drive is doable . . . but you want to see 8+ days worth of sites in those 5 days. Where are you staying on Skye? Let's just use Portree since it is really the only town . . . Day 8 Portree > Armadale / Mallaig > Glenfinan > Ft William > Spean Bridge > Ft William > Glencoe > Glasgow is one hellacious drive . . . easily 7.5 hours car time plus any time waiting for the next ferry and any stops.

If you do arrive in August there may be some issues. Especially for accommodations in Edinburgh. The Fringe runs through Aug 29 this year so rates will be sky high and availability tough (plus the last weekend in August is a Bank Holiday so that is just about the busiest time in Edinburgh). These are not my photos but give you a bit of an idea what Edinburgh is like in August.

https://avingagiraffe.com/2021/04/14...festival-2021/
Edinburgh?s August Festivals Will Not Take Place in 2020 | Pocket Size Theatre

Those aren't special events but just street scenes in Old Town

I love the Tattoo (and the Fringe / festivals) but August is not a time one can do much if any sightseeing in Edinburgh.

The trip would be easier and a LOT cheaper if you wait til Sept 9. But it is still awfully ambitious.

What are your absolute musts for this trip? I wouldn't attempt that itinerary unless I had 2 full weeks. And more would be better.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 12:18 AM

I know it is several years since I went to Dunvegan Castle but I was disappointed by it, although the setting and the grounds are good. It was by guided tour when I visited and this concentrated on family history and each of the family portraits was described in great detail and the relationship to the rest of the family. It was probably fascinating for those interested in the MacLoed family or those with clan connections, but I have to confess I soon got bored...

Eilean Donan Castle has a stunning setting and is possibly the most photographed castle in Scotlanbd, regularly appearing on biscuit tins etc. The interior doesn't quite live up to the exterior though and is early C20th restoration.

I did like Blair Castle though - everyone is different though. However, it does get busy

Perhaps the best advice is to do a google image search on rooms for each and decide what catches your imagination.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 01:09 AM

wasleys : I agree with part of what you say about Dunvegan, but the setting and gardens and some of the rooms made up for some of the 'canned' commentary

But probably -- the OP really doesn't have time for either property. With only 1.5 days on Skye there are better uses of time than Dunvegan.

Old Jan 30th, 2022, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by angieaffolter
As far as dates, I'm torn. I understand that August is a Challenge, but the Military Tattoo it SO tempting.
If we do go for it, we'd get into Edinburgh on August 26th, to catch the last day of Tattoo on the 27th, otherwise I'd shoot for arriving September 2nd or 9th.
Plan is:
Day 1 - (arrive and whatever we can manage with jet lag - coming from US)
Day 2-3 Edinburgh (there seems to be a lot to see and do
Day 4 - The Edinburgh to Creiff (as you suggested)
Day 5 - Dunkeld, Queen's View, Blair Castle and Gardens (if time), Clava Cairns, Culloden, to Inverness
Day 6 - Inverness to Eileen Donan (Loch Ness and Urquhart along the way) to Skye and whatever we can tackle in Skye for that Day
Day 7 - Whatever we can fit in Skye - in no particular order, Fairy Pools, Fairy Glen, Nesit Point, Dunvegan Castle, Skye Museum of Island Life, Duntulm, Quirang, Kilt Rock, Old Man of Storr. Not expecting to see them all, but whatever we can
Day 8 - Glenfinnan Viaduct, Monument, Trail, Fort William, Ben Nevis, Commando Memorial, Glencoe then to Glasgow
Day 9 - Day in Glasgow.
Day 10 - head home

Thanks!
All I can say is that I allotted 2 days for Day5. And we are nowhere classified as slow travellers!! I can't imagine what it would be like to travel from Inverness to Skye in 1-day with those stops, even if just taking a photo of Eileen Donan Castle.

Last edited by JoyC; Jan 30th, 2022 at 06:10 AM.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 07:12 AM

Janis, would there be a way for them to see the tattoo, as a trip into the city just for that evening and then come back later for a visit?
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 07:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I for one would love to go to the fringe but forget going to the tattoo, all very very boring.

My feeling is that with this schedule and being in August just drop Edinburgh as much as possible

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -