Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with driving from Florence, Italy to Montauroux, France (near Nice)

Old Aug 19th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

It'll be mid October if we do this. The alternative is to fly from Florence to Nice - but of course no direct flights, so it'll take us at least 4/5 hours to fly - plus the 2 hours before, and then drive from Nice to Montauroux, so it seems resonable to drive it - unless there's something I don't know? With stops in Pisa & Eze, Google maps says it'll take about 6 hours to complete, and it appears to be a coastal route, lots of towns. Anyone driven this route? What's it like? Good places to stop and eat?

Thanks for any insights!

Cyn
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 08:23 PM

If you do it one way, you will discover that there is a stiff cross-border drop-off fee. To avoid the fee, you will have to drop off the car near the French border, take the train to Menton and pick up a French car there. The train might be more convenient.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 08:38 PM

Have you checked for flights between Pisa and Nice? Pisa Airport is easy to reach from Florence.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Ah - I was unaware of the drop off fee - Thanks Michael! I'll have to check that out.

Ellenem - no, I hadn't thought of flying from Pisa- I will check on that as well.

What about boat or train - are either of those possible?

This forum is such a great resource!
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 06:40 AM

Florence to Nice by train takes about 8 hours with 2-3 changes of train.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Ok, trains are out. The only ferry I saw involves spending the night on Corsica, so that's not a possibility.

The drop off fee for the car rental is about $265.oo from Hertz. Gulp. Sill cheaper than flying, so ok. Checking sixt to see what they come up with.

Any thoughts on places to eat lunch en-route?
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 09:22 AM

Lots of tunnels on coastal route.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

This is a go. We're picking up the rental at Hertz in town, and are driving to Montauroux. Tunnels are ok. Any other info/suggestions for this drive?
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 12:16 PM

I spent a week in Mountaroux; flew into Nice, so not much help there. If driving is a done deal, then think about lunch in Menton. The restaurants on this town were GLORIOUS! A mix of the French cuisine with the Italian flavors and substance; wonderful.

Once in Montauroux, try Le Marina restaurant; a small restaurant with exquisite food. Another tip: visit nearby Calllian, have your camera ready on the road there!!
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation for lunch in Menton, Viajero2.

We stayed in Montauroux last year, and ate at the Marina - loved it! And yes - Callian is beautiful! Did you make it as far as Mons? That's another wonderful little town. Really can't wait to get back and see them again!
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 03:48 PM

I remembered driving by Mons; did not spent a lot of time, but it looked lovely. Loved Fayence, Seillans, and Salernes. On another trip we stopped and visited Castellane. This town is on the Napoleon Route on the way to Lyon, but I still remembered hiking to the church on the hilltop and going in to find out dozens of WWII uniforms from local French soldiers left there in gratitude for having returned from the war. Many other mementos from lost loved ones. This is literally off the beaten path, but so worth the hike.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Wow - that sounds amazing! Looks like it's about an hours drive from Montauroux, so it's definatley on the agenda! Thanks Viajero!
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 07:22 AM

cynstalker-- do NOT get discouraged by the sight of the church on the high rocky outcrop. Walk towards the back of the rock, there is a small parking lot adjacent to a gradual vegetated path that goes up spiral-like ascent; not difficult at all; do not get discouraged, it is not rock climbing at all. Good, sturdy, closed shoes are a must. The most amazing thing is that as you go up you will go by the Roman ruins of the original Castellane settlement. This place is mind-boggling! By the way, you will go by also a Roman bridge, gorgeous place.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

I'm getting chills! Thanks so much, Viajero.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 09:43 AM
ira

Hi cyn,

you are required to have an International Driver's Permit to drive in Italy.

Old Sep 21st, 2010, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks ira. Had one last year, but haven't gotten around to it this year. I'll get to AAA to get it.
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 05:42 PM

I drove from Rome to Cinque Terre with my daughter, who was studying in Rome, so I covered some of the route you are thinking about. It was challenging, especially the mountainous, coastal part of it (think California PCH times 100), but I did it and it was beautiful. However, I did pray a lot along the way.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

LouisaH - was it because of the curvy, mountainous roads with no guard rails? Or the traffic?
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 08:02 AM

cynstalker, yes, it was because of the curvy, mountainous roads that were so high and I just felt like we kept climbing and climbing. There were guard rails but really I don't think they would have necessarily prevented me from going over the edge in a crash. The traffic wasn't bad as a lot of that stretch was really remote but when someone did come along, they wanted to go much faster than I did and there wasn't much room for me to get over.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Louisa-- how long it took you to drive Rome- Cinque Terre?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO