Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Croatian itinerary - hiking and what else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am planning a short trip from the UK to Croatia in May. We're flying in and out of Split. We're mainly interested in hiking plus some time in some scenic/historic towns. Some nightlife would be welcome. One day on the beach might be nice. Compared to the UK I'm sure it will seem very warm! My draft itinerary is below - we'll be travelling by car.

Monday - arrive Split early am, hire car and drive to Plitvice NP (3 hour drive?)
Tuesday - Plitvice NP
Wednesday - drive to Paklenica NP (1.5 hours?)
Thursday - Paklenica NP
Friday - ?? suggestions please
Saturday - ?? - then overnight in Split.
Sunday - early am flight to London.

As you can see I'm in need of some suggestions for friday and saturday that might fill some of the scenic/historic town/beach/nightlife criteria. I did consider a trip to Hvar but it really doesn't look like the ferry times are going to
work out for us. So perhaps somewhere on the coast between Paklenica and Split would be best. All thoughts welcome.

Thanks in adavance for your help.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:53 PM

Check the drive times at viamichelin.
It can be quite warm in May.
Zadar would be a good choice for your stop after Paklenica.
You might want another night in one or both of the National Parks though--just something to consider.
www.croatia-beaches.com has an overview of the Zadar region beaches.
Did you check ferries to Stari Grad on Hvar--they are daily, even in May. You could also go to Brac.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Aha - yes the ferry times for Stari Grad look much better. I was only looking at Hvar Town where there are fewer options. I think we will probably go to Hvar. But there's still plenty of time for me to change my mind...!

Many thanks for your help.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM

You're quite welcome--have a great trip. Please post a trip report about your time at Paklenica. I saw the mts from Pag/Zadar and would love to know more about that region.
If you aren't tired of walking by that point, walking along the coast from Hvar Grad is quite scenic.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

I just realised I never got back to you about Paklenica. We enjoyed our day there a lot - once we found our way into the park. It was a little tricky to spot the entrance from the road, as it looks like you're driving into somebody's garden, rather than a national park.

Once there, we somehow missed the shop selling the detailed hiking maps (saw it on the way out, we should have asked on the way in). So we had to make do with the basic maps they give you with the tickets. Because of that, and also the rain, we didn't attempt anything too adventurous. However, we saw enough to know that there are some fantastic hiking opportunities and beautiful views to be had. I would definitely make a return trip.

Overall, we had a great time in Croatia. Plitvice was stunning, even in the pouring rain. The weather finally cleared up once we got to Hvar Town, where we spent a beautiful, sunny day doing not much at all other than taking pictures and exploring the alleys.

Logistics wise, I found the driving very easy, even on the "wrong" (for a Brit) side of the road. The new motorway is superb. We also had no problems with the buses or ferries.

The countryside is beautiful seemingly everywhere; making a decided contrast to the destroyed houses, churches, sometimes even complete villages that we came across. It seemed bizarre and terrible to see this evidence of war so close to home. There was still some war graffiti in Split, too: "Yanks piss off, NATO go home".

Everybody we met was friendly and helpful, and we had no complaints about the flats we rented. I wasn't massively impressed by the food on offer in the Plitvice region, but I'm a fussy eater at the best of times. I loved the seafood in Hvar Town and Split.

I shall certainly be making a return visit to Croatia. Dubrovnik here I come!
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 04:48 PM

Hi GoodGrac
We will have 2 nights in Hvar Towm in late April, 2009.
Could you share where you stayed?
I think we might like to be in Hvar Towm. A sobe would be fine. Not a hotel.
Could you also give web address and/or e-mail of where you stayed?
thanks for sharing. Glad you had a good trip.
P.S. Sorry you had some RAIN! that is my fear - especially in Plitvice where we will be outside hiking for hours!
Nannibray
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 05:55 PM

A great place for a taste of the islands is Kukljica on the island of Ugljan - a short ferry ride from Zadar. If you go there be sure and seek out the small shop in town that sells their homemade wine in 2L plastic bottles.