Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Help with choosing (slightly less touristy) base in Provence?
Notices

Help with choosing (slightly less touristy) base in Provence?

May 15th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Help with choosing (slightly less touristy) base in Provence?

Hi,

I'm planning a trip for my family (with two young daughters) in October and so far so good. I'm now looking for somewhere to base ourselves for our last few days in the western side of Provence. (Luberon etc)

We're looking for a holiday rental, in a traditional gite or home, with some outdoor areas (fingers crossed for the weather that time of the year).

My dilemma is where to focus my search?

We'd like fairly easy access for day trips by car to Aix-en-Provence, Luberon Villages, Arles, St Remy,, Markets, cooking classes etc
Markets or Provisions or at least one cafe or restaurant within walking distance (15 mins)
Edge of village / town ok
View would be nice

We will have spent 4 days at St Paul de Vence, so a more peaceful & not so popular location would probably suit.

Our other bookings for this holiday include - apartment 1 week in Paris, Rural Gite in Burgundy, Apartment in old centre of Annecy, Quirky chalet one night in the alps.

I know this has been asked many times before by others. I've read through them all, but still need more direction.

Thank you in advance.
May 16th, 2013, 06:57 AM

I've always considered the Luberon to be in eastern Provence and places like St Remy, Arles, and Avignon in western Provence. Anyway, try St Saturnin les Apt for a slightly less touristy but nice village in the Luberon. Search "DebitNM" and see if you can fine one of her many posts where she talks about the gite she rented just outside of St Saturnin.

Stu Dudley
May 16th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Yes, you are of course right Stu! I've had to stick a large map of Paris on my kitchen wall to refer to, for distances & relative east, west, north, south. My hopelessness with the compass is probably due to growing up and living in an enormous state with WEST in the name! ;-)
May 16th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

And thank you - St Saturnin les Apt & the gites mentioned by DebitNM http://www.accommodationinprovence.com/index.html look great, and certainly tick most of the boxes!
If anyone has any other accommodation suggestions in this area, particularly if connected to a working farm, B&B with farm animals, organic produce, or cooking class options, I'd be very grateful.

Search this Thread