Help with booking hotel in Bayeux, France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having such a hard time booking a hotel at the D'Argouges or the Churchill, or some other charming hotel. I emailed the Churchill but who knows how long until I hear from them. The only hotels that appear to have rooms (2) for our dates (April,30 and May 1) are Best Westerns, which are probably OK, but was hoping for something else. Anyone know how I can do this???
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:56 PM

I can't help you with contacting either of those hotels but, if you're looking for a place to stay in Bayeux, there's a beautiful little B&B close to the center of town called "Logis Des Remparts". It's inexpensive, they serve a delicious French breakfast in the morning, and the owners, the Lecornus, are wonderful people. www.lecornu.fr. This was easily the best place I stayed on my month-long vacation to Europe last year =).
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Sure...pick up the phone and call them!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

What is the charge to call France these days? Haven't called long distance international in a while. Also, what would be the chances of getting someone who speaks English on the other line? Also, would the time difference from CA to France be about 10 hours? They would be later, right? Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Well, as I got to searching, it appears that Bayeux is pretty booked up for the two nights that we wanted, since one of the days is Labor Day. Went through the "cute" hotels and everything was booked. Tried the BW and even those were booked. Couldn't book on BW online. So, went to Hotels.com and got two doubles at the BW Brunville, one of the hotels that Battlebus recommended. Phew. Was starting to think we would have to stay in another town. Just glad to have a room, to be honest...
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 04:06 PM

I agree with jeesun...Logis des Remparts was quite nice, well-located, priced right, and the breakfast was great...
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Jeesun, I am talking with your B and B via email. They are so nice. I did book a rather depressing looking room at the BW Hotel De Brunville and am looking to maybe change it to the B and B. Did you like the location? Was it close to the tapestry museum and center of town? Did your room have a shower? And was the breakfast good? Thanks for your help. Hope you come back...
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 08:37 PM

Heavens, I'm SO sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this - I lost track of the thread. I hope it's not too late!

The location of the B&B is fabulous - it's right in the centre of town but tucked away on a very quiet street right across from a peaceful park. The "main street" is very close, so you have ready access to restaurants, the meeting place for D-day tours, supermarkets, the post office and shops, and there's a bakery right around the corner that sells huge, cheap baguettes. If I remember correctly, the tapestry museum and cathedral are a 5-10 minute stroll into town (along that same "main street&quot and it's a beautiful and refreshing walk, especially in the morning . The room DID have a shower with plentiful hot water, and the breakfast was delicious. It was a typical French breakfast, which means croissants/pain au chocolat, toast and homemade jam, and your choice of hot chocolate or coffee. It was simple but tided us over until lunch . The jam was also to die for - the Lecornus own an orchard and produce calvados, cider and jam for a living, so you know it has to be good! Finally, the Lecornus themselves are the nicest people. Christele is always smiling and willing to do what she can to help you, and Francois is such a gentleman (he carried our bags up to our room without our even requesting his help).

I hope my reply gives you enough time to book a room at this B&B . I'm sorry if it seems like I'm gushing, but I can't say enough good things about it. It's sincerely the best place I have ever stayed for the least amount of money.

I hope you enjoy Bayeux! It was my favourite place in France, better even than Paris in my opinion .
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 01:22 AM

I didn't see this thread when you first posted it.

jeesun's B&B sounds delightful, if you can get it.

Don't be too disheartened about the BW Hotel de Brunville. I stayed there last summer. It's nothing special and a bit soulless, but perfectly clean and adequate, and in a very good central location. We didn't bother with the breakfast there as it seemed quite expensive, we just walked out into the town and had croissants etc at a cafe.

Good luck and have a great trip.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Doble_Vergasser

We also liked B&B Les Ramparts.
Had a good room (enough beds for six people. But it was just us three. Appx 70 euro per night three years ago.)

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, thought I followed up on this one. We did book the B and B. We are getting twin rooms for 62 Euros a night. Can you believe that? Our twin rooms in Paris are 195 Euros a night. So we are thrilled. And Christele, who I have been emailing, has been very nice and helpful. So thanks for the suggestion. Now we just hope there are a few cafes/restaurants in town that are open for dinner bc it will be a Sunday night. But it is May Day weekend and Christele said that many should be open. We can't wait to see Normandy and another view of France. Thanks all for you help.