Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with acceptable clothing in Italian Churches and Museums

Old May 6th, 1997, 01:20 PM
Jeff Jones

My wife and I are planning on visiting Italy in June. We were wondering if anyone could provide information about the wearing of shorts, Nike shoes, etc. in the churches and museums. We have heard no shorts are allowed. Is this true? We hate to travel all that way just to be turned back at the door. Thanks for your help.

What about sleeveless dresses?

Old May 6th, 1997, 07:42 PM
Darek

No shorts or sleeveless shirts/tops; tennis shoes are OK. Jeans are OK. These apply to major churches; museums are less of a problem, with possible exception of Vatican Museum. Less popular churches may be visisted wearing shorts. Good travels.

Old May 7th, 1997, 08:02 PM
W. Kozak

Ten years ago I went to Italy with a group of students from college to study art. My suggestion to you would be to take a scarf to cover your head or shoulders. I saw a woman asked to leave the Church of St. Francis of Assissi because she was bare-shouldered. Shorts seemed to be okay because we were all wearing them. You might take something light to change into in your daypack in case they are enforcing the no shorts rule. Italy doesn't seem to be a country of consistency. I think everywhere you go there would probably be a different set of standards. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Old May 12th, 1997, 06:27 PM
Lisa Davis

A wrap-around skirt in a back pack is handy for visiting churches; it goes right over shorts if needed. The Doges' palace in Venice was not admitting people in shorts or tank tops when we were there. Why? The director had decided that it is "not a beach". Have fun!

Old May 12th, 1997, 07:02 PM
Juliann

I just came back from Rome. Every church I visited had signs up barring shorts for both men and women. When I visited St. Peter's and the Vatican museum, there were actually people posted there passing judgment on the acceptability of clothing. I wore long, flowing, gauzy skirts. They were as cool as shorts but passed "dress codes." They were long enough to pass the length code. Skirts must be no shorter than the knee. The idea of a scarf to cover bare shoulders is a good one. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Old May 19th, 1997, 05:34 PM
Jenny

At St.Peters in the Vatican, I saw a retired gentleman turned away because of his shorts, even though they came down to just above his knees, and he was wearing long socks. However, I also saw young girls waltzing out of the cathedral in short mini skirts. So yes, it does seem very inconsistent at times , but don't risk it. Be prepared to cover up.

Old Jun 2nd, 1997, 08:27 AM
Randy

I had to change pants with my brother right there in front of God and tourists so I could get into the vatican. After I went in...I saw some paintings of naked women, and statues of naked women with very nice bodies....humm...what's up with that! At least my legs had clothing on them.

PS The last visit I went inside at 7:00AM I think that is the best time to be there. We also walked around the old city area at 5:30 in the AM. No people around...it was the greatest for the outdoor sites!