Reload this Page >

Help with a last minute trip to Brindisi/Puglia

Old Aug 7th, 2017, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I've been in northern Italy for a few days for work and just elected to go to the south for a few days of beach time. I just booked a flight to brindisi tomorrow and I'll be in the area for 5 days (I fly out of Rome on Tuesday the 15th).

I've read what little there is about the area, but I'm wondering if someone could recommend a plan. I can train/fly back to rome... I'm just 1 person (40's, female , traveling solo and not opposed to driving ... I'm OK driving get in nyc, so that's my reference point.)

I definitely want a few beach days... but have a love of walking little towns too to take in the sites (heck, I did 27km in the dolomites today... by accident!) Anyway... any advice would be appreciated.

Specific questions:
1. I fly into brindisi at 11pm... are there hotels close to the airport I should stay in or should I find a hotel in town? My Italian friend warned me about scamming taxi drivers but I'm not taking a bus at 11pm.

2. Is brindisi worth staying in for beaches? (My guidebook says very little and unfortunately my hotels WiFi isn't working so I haven't learned much )

3. My high school friend is in calabria.... how's the drive to there? I'm debating whether I should try to see her... maybe a bus/train is a better option (and then I can fly out of calabria?) Alternatively I'll stay in Puglia and see her next year.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 01:29 PM

Easy to hop a train to nearby Lecce - one of Italy's finest old towns that I've seen:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lecc...w=1745&bih=864

Check www.trenitalia.com for train schedules.
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 08:11 AM

Where in Calabria is your friend-if a sizable town trains would be fine - does she have a car once you get there?

Book your own train ticket online- www.trenitalia.com - for lots on Italian trains check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Brindisi's beach is highly rated (I know nothing about it)- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/be...-Brindisi.html
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 02:36 PM

How is going your short visit in Brindisi?

I've just read now about your trip to Brindisi, I reply anyway:

1) your arrival was in the past, I think you don't need clarification;

2) regarding beaches, in the city there isn't any, so far I know. Torre Guaceto is a protected area 25 km northern, there should be a bus, you can ask to your hotelier; Monopoli is a pretty city with a couple of beaches: 45 minutes by train (Trenitalia) to the north. There are also a plenty of beaches southern than Brindisi, but you should ask your hotelier how to get there.

3) Calabria is pretty long, it depends where she lives; by train it is anyway not so easy to travel there, maybe by bus. I suggest you to enjoy Puglia, if she's faraway.

Hope to helping you
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies @PalenQ and @LuigiPiero!

I arrived in Brindisi and am sorting out my travel plans. I will share a report here afterwards so others can learn from my mistakes

Thank you again!
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 12:00 PM

@brink How was then your travel?

I'm curios to read about your report.
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 12:08 PM

brink -ditto to that - how'd it go?
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 12:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
interested to know