Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with a 3-4 week Europe Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-a-3-4-week-europe-itinerary-927941/)

globetrotter135 Mar 16th, 2012 10:36 AM

Help with a 3-4 week Europe Itinerary

I am planning 3-4 weeks trip to Europe in the month of June. My dates are flexible but I would like to begin in the first week and end by the end of June. I will be traveling solo as a young (late 20s) female traveler. I have not been to Europe before (except Spain) and would really like to cover at least 5 countries. However, I understand that I do not have enough time to see everything in 5 countries and I would like to focus on a certain region in a country rather than exploring everything. Only thing fixed in my plan is that I will be beginning and ending my Euro trip in Amsterdam (due to certain reasons). I am struggling with getting an outline of my trip i.e. how many days in which country and the order of travel. I am pretty good with planning the detailed itinerary for the day once I figure out the outline. Little bit about my travel preferences:
I would like to travel by train (open to taking a flight or two) within Europe. I do not want to rent a car. I am used to of traveling a lot as I travel 100% for work (within U.S.) and usually spend 80-90% of my time on road or at the airports so I am a pretty fast and efficient traveler. I am full of energy and do not get tired easily. So I can fit in a lot more in a day and like to start my day at 7 am till midnight during vacations. I love mountains and nature so I am looking to spend parts of my trips doing outdoor stuff (hiking, biking etc) in Swiss Alps, Austria. I am also looking forward to explore ancient cities, culture. Not very interested in focusing on major cities – would rather like to make day trips to small villages/towns from my base in each country. Food is not important to me (I am a vegetarian).
Here is what I am thinking and hoping that some folks can help out. None of this is fixed as I haven’t booked anything. I am willing to change any part of the itinerary based upon the feedback of the members.
Amsterdam (4 days) -> Austria (3 days, focus on Wachau valley, Melk, Krems) -> Switzerland (3 days in Alps, either in Wengen or Grindewald, 3 days in Geneva and nearby area like Zermatt) -> Paris (4 days with some day trips) -> Belgium (3 days, focus on Brugge) ->Amsterdam (end)

I know that I really want to go to Amsterdam, Paris and Switzerland. I am willing to change the rest. Does this order make sense? Am I trying to do too much? I can add a day or two here and there as my flights are not booked yet.

Sorry for such a long message but I wanted to provide as much information as I could. Thank you so much!!!!!

Michael Mar 16th, 2012 10:39 AM

Why Austria, why not Germany, Munich perhaps? After 3 days in the Alps, why Geneva?

Pegontheroad Mar 16th, 2012 10:55 AM

I suggest that you get a guidebook--one of the "best of Europe" variety.

globetrotter135 Mar 16th, 2012 11:19 AM

I was focusing on Austria as it is smaller and would give me a chance to get a feel of the culture in the limited 3 days that I have. I would like to take a separate and longer trip to Germany some other time to really soak in the culture. However, I am open to

Michael Mar 16th, 2012 11:31 AM

If doing Amsterdam - Vienna (essentially) - Swiss Alps - Paris - Amsterdam, you might want to consider just flying with a possible exception of Austria to Switzerland which can be done by train.

http://www.flylc.com/directall-en.asp

jent103 Mar 16th, 2012 11:56 AM

Does your proposed itinerary include travel time? In other words, is 4 days in Amsterdam -> 3 days in Austria really "4 days in Amsterdam, one day traveling to Austria, three days in Austria," or will a half or full day "in" one city actually be taken up by traveling?

If you really want to go to Paris, four days seems like just enough for the city itself (assuming that you really want to go there because there are things in town you want to see). Adding in day trip(s) would be a lot to pack in.

speedbird Mar 17th, 2012 01:53 AM

I would cut Amsterdam to two days as it is enough to cover the city must-sees. I would rather spend more time in Paris or the Alps. For example from Geneva you can visit beautiful small towns like Annecy and Evian (France) and Lausanne and Montreux (Switzerland), all accessibe ib an hour or so by train from Geneva.

qwovadis Mar 17th, 2012 02:55 AM

Congrats on your trip.Have done similar in the past. Prefer hopping regional trains like a local and staying flexible with bookings always get good deals. www.seat61.com great train site.
Head south where warm first so for me AMS Bruges Paris www.Zermatt.ch venice-tourism.com back up through Austria
Germany. eurocheapo.com backpackeurope.com journeywoman.com

All great sites for you Happy Planning!

Pepper_von_snoot Mar 17th, 2012 09:59 AM

I think your itin. for Switzerland is rather kooky.

You need about 6 days to explore the Bernese Oberland. (I dislike Grindelwald, LOVE Wengen.)

It is rather senseless to skip over the BO in order to rush off to Geneva or Zermatt.

Why skip over a boat ride on Lake Thun or Lake Brienz to rush off to Geneva to take a boat ride on Lake Geneva?

Why skip over the Schilthorn to rush off to see the Matterhorn?

Why skip over Spiez or Thun to train off to see Vevey?

You will see that by "training" all over Europe you are going to cut into your time actually exploring Europe.

Go to www.sbb.ch and see how many trains you have to take to get from Wengen to Geneva. See how long the train rides are.

You will also waste a lot of time packing and unpacking, checking into hotels, waiting at train stations, looking for ATMs, finding grocery stores, etc.

And don't even get me started on Paris. 4 days in Paris with side trips, too?

I could spend two months in Paris.

Hey, but it is your dream; I'm just giving some advice.

Do what you want.

If you need any help with Wengen and rest of BO, just ask.

Tschuss,
Pepper

nytraveler Mar 17th, 2012 10:43 AM

I agree that you are trying to fit an awful lot into the time you have - and don;t think yuo have allowed any time for getting from one place to another.

And you talk blithely about "getting the feel of the culture" in 3 (or 2.5 days in Austria). First of all there is no one culture - Vienna is very differnt from Salzbrug or Innsbruck or Graz or ???. And in 2.5 days yuo are still figuring out how to work the transit system, what times things open and close, what dining habits/times are, etc.

Obvuisly this is yuor trip - but I feat that at the end you will just have one long blur. (And IMHO 4 full days is really a minimum time to see much of Paris - without any day trips. I've been 16 times and am always finding new things to see and do.)

Suggest you slow down and enjoy fewer places rather than just checking off a list.

globetrotter135 Mar 20th, 2012 10:51 AM

Thank you everyone for the input. I went back and recalibrated the days and amount of time I want to spend in various locations. I have come up with this one after looking at train schedules and understanding the travel time. Here is the updated itinerary. Do you see any kinks in this? Is this more doable?

1) Day 1: Land in Amsterdam, explore the city, friend’s house
2) Day 2: Explore the city, friend’s house
3) Day 3: Day trip to Harlem, explore the city, friend’s house.
4) Day 4: Take a train from Amsterdam in the morning to Brugge, Belgium. Takes about 4 hours from Amsterdam with a connection in Antewarp, explore Brugge. Hotel in Brugge.
5) Day 5: Explore Brugge. Hotel in Brugge
6) Day 6: Undecided, think about either Ghent or Antewarp or Brussels (all are within an hour train ride). Hotel in Brugge
7) Day 7: Leave from Brugge at 6:25 AM to Paris and arrive by the breakfast time. Spend all day in Paris, hotel in Paris
8) Day 8: Explore Paris, Hotel in Paris
9) Day 9: Explore Paris, Hotel in Paris
10) Day 10: Day trip to Versailles, hotel in Paris
11) Day 11: Explore Paris, Hotel in Paris
12) Day 12: Leave from Paris to Geneva, non-stop train takes 4 hours. Depart for Montreux right away and explore the city, hotel in Montreux
13) Day 13: Explore Montreux and a trip to Chillion and Gruyeres, hotel in montreux
14) Day 14: Take the golden pass train from Montreux to Interlaken and then get to Wengen, stay in Wengen
15) Day 15: Mannlichen to Kleinee Schidegg (KS) hike and go up to Jungfrau, stay in wengen
16) Day 16: Hike to Murren and Schilthorn, stay in wengen
17) Day 17: Get to Lucerne via golden pass train and spend the day exploring the lake, hotel in Lucerne
18) Day 18: More time in Lucerne and Weggis, hotel in Lucerne
19) Day 19: Lucerne to Zurich to Munich via train, rest, get acquainted with Munich, hostel in Munich
20) Day 20: All day in Munich, hostel in Munich
21) Day 21: Day trip to the Castles, hostel in Munich
22) Day 22: Day trip to Salzburg, hostel in Munich
23) Day 23: Fly back home from Munich

swandav2000 Mar 20th, 2012 09:08 PM

Hi globetrotter135,

The village of Gruyeres lies between Montreux and Interlaken, just a short detour off the Golden Pass route. If you go to Gruyeres on Day 13 and then take the Golden Pass on Day 14, you'll be doing the landscape twice.

I suggest you spend Day 13 in Montreux. Maybe go to see Vevey's old town, which is lovely and sits just next to the lake. Or just spend the time strolling the flowered lakeside promenade. Or visit the vineyards of the Lavaux and walk through the village of Lutry.

Then on Day 14, head from Montreux to Gruyeres and see the village. Have lunch there. Then continue on to Interlaken.

Have fun as you plan!

s

globetrotter135 Mar 21st, 2012 01:24 PM

Thank you swandav2000! This helps. Do you think my Switzerland stretch is planned well or am I trying to do too much?

Jax76 Mar 21st, 2012 02:03 PM

Can't believe you aren't thinking of adding Rome to your itinerary. Even a few days in the Eternal City are unforgettable and a day trip to Pompeii is amazing.

globetrotter135 Mar 21st, 2012 02:06 PM

Hi Jax76 - I would really love to but I have very limited time and money. Plus, I would love to travel to Italy with my significant other rather than solo. I hope to plan another long vacation to Italy and Greece soon!!

swandav2000 Mar 22nd, 2012 09:38 PM

HI again,

I'm afraid I'm not the one to ask! I like to stay in an area for a week -- four nights if it's new to me.

s

dugi_otok Mar 24th, 2012 05:04 PM

Hi globetrotter
Building on your updated itinerary. Salzburg deserves 2 nights.
19) Day 19: Lucerne to Zurich to Salzburg via train thru Innsbruck(very scenic route), rest, get acquainted with Salzburg, hostel in or near old town Salzburg
20) Day 20: Morning Sound if Music tour,afternoon exploring Salzburg, hostel in Salzburg
21) Day 21: Early morning train to Munich,all day in Munich, hostel in Munich
22) Day 22: Day trip to the Castles,hostel in Munich
23) Day 23: Day trip to Rothenburg ob der Tauber,hostel in Munich
24) Day 24: Fly back home from Munich

If you do not want to add an extra vacation day you could eliminate Day 6.

msteacher Mar 25th, 2012 04:56 AM

I think you have a great plan! I've been to just about every place you've listed, and you've made some great choices. Of course, more time in any location is always better, but you are young and will be able to see and do alot in each location. I'm especially happy you are going to Wengen... a truly beautiful spot. Keep in mind that the trains in that area are very pricey (especially the one up to Jungfrau). I agree that squeezing in more time for Munich/Salzburg would be great, but might not be possible. If you had to steal a day from any where I would take it from Luzern, though it is a lovely city also.

globetrotter135 Mar 26th, 2012 03:25 PM

dugi_otok - this is a wonderful input and I really appreciate it. I was thinking of eliminating day 6 anyway and I am sure a day in Rothenburg will be great. Thank you!

msteacher - thank you, this forum helped me a lot to come up with this itinerary. I hope to contribute once I am back from the trip!

Melodybelle Apr 4th, 2012 05:56 PM

If you're going to the Netherlands any time between April and early October this year don't miss Floriade - it's a flower/horticultural show that is so huge it only happens once every ten years. There really is lots to see, and it's worth going to the Netherlands just to see it (that's what I'm about to do!) www.floriade.com It's at Venlo.