Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with 6 day itinerary from Shannon to Dublin, (Southern part only)

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all!!,
I am still trying to work out an itinerary and I sure could use some help!! We are going to Ireland for our honeymoon and will be arriving in Shannon on Sat. August 12th. We will be flying out of Dublin on Friday the 18th for London where we will start a tour. Can those who have stayed there give me itinerary ideas? On the last day we plan to drive in to Dublin and see Trinity College and Book of Kells but other than that we are open. Would like to see one of the Rings, is Beara as pretty as Kerry? Also would like to keep costs down with B&B's instead of hotels, any good ideas? This trip is ending up costing a fortune so any ideas are welcome. ( This is including the cost of Scotland and London as well, but we are touring there so all is planned except Ireland part. Thank you in advance! Also, I would like to bring something special for special people I will meet, what would someone who lives in Ireland like to have from America? (nothing too large of course as I am limited on luggage space) Thanks!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
CU

For the south west have a look at www.shannonregiontourism.ie and for a good day out at Bunratty www.shannonheritage.ie
To have a look at the Cliffs of Moher www.doolin-tourism.com
For that special present for the folks at home www.blarney.ie
For accommodation www.townandcountry.ie
And finally www.ireland.ie/getting_around.asp might help.
Enjoy and a happy wedding to you.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:46 AM

Hi chrissmack, what I would do is as follows

Plan A – Energetic Option

Sat: rest, recover from jet lag

Sun: drive to Tralee, early lunch, drive to Dingle (An Daingean in Irish) over the Connor Pass, check in to B&B in Dingle, if time take a drive out to Ventry and Dunquin and back to Dingle. In Dingle visit a pub with Irish music and craic and have dinner in one the very good restaurants there (ask the locals for advice on specific pub and restaurant)

Mon: drive to Killorglin (via Inch and Castlemaine R561)) and on around the Ring-of-Kerry to Kenmare. Stay in Kenmare.

Tues: drive to Kinsale via Glengarrif, Bantry, Ballydehob, Skibereen, (if time visit Baltimore,and/or Union Hall and/or Glandore and/or Owen ahincha), Clonakilty. Stay in Kinsale and have dinner in one of the many good restaurants.

Wed: Travel to Dublin by: a) dropping off car at Cork airport near Kinsale and fly (45 minutes), b) drive main road from Cork to Dublin (4 hrs depending on traffic in Mitchelstown and Fermoy)), c) drive to Dublin via more scenic route of Youghal, Waterford, New Ross, Arklow ( 6 hrs depending on traffic in Gorey). Cork city can be by-passed on each route.

Thurs: Sightseeing in Dublin

Friday: Depart

Plan B – Lazy Option

Sat: rest, recover from jet lag

Sun: Visit Cliffs of Mohar and/or or go via Bllyvaghan and Kinvara to lunch (oysters & Guinness) in Moran’s on the weir in Clarinbridge. Back to B&B in Shannon.

Mon: drive to Killarney, lunch, shop, do local tourist thing e.g. gap of Dunloe, Mucross etc.,. Stay in B&B in Killarney.

Tues: drive to Kinsale via Kenmare, Glengarrif, Bantry, Ballydehob, Skibereen, (if time visit Baltimore,and/or Union Hall and/or Glandore and/or Owen ahincha), Clonakilty. Stay in Kinsale and have dinner in one of the many good restaurants.

Wed: Travel to Dublin by: a) dropping off car at Cork airport near Kinsale and fly (45 minutes), b) drive main road from Cork to Dublin (4 hrs depending on traffic in Mitchelstown and Fermoy)), c) drive to Dublin via more scenic route of Youghal, Waterford, New Ross, Arklow ( 6 hrs depending on traffic in Gorey). Cork city can be by-passed on each route.

Thurs: Sightseeing in Dublin

Friday: Depart

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:47 AM

Foley has given you some excellent routes. Here's another one for your consideration.

Sat: Drive to Adare, a medieval town that has become the wedding capital of western Ireland. According to the Lonely Planet guidebook, the hotels are expensive, but the book suggests these reasonably-priced B&Bs: Riversdale, Elm House, and Curragh Lodge.

Sun: Drive to Dingle, either via Connor Pass if the weather is clear or via Annascaul if it is not.

Mon: Tour the Slea Head Peninsula. Stay a second night in Dingle. (You'll appreciate two nights in the same bed.)

Tues: Drive to Kenmare, either via the Ring of Kerry (long drive) or Killarney (the road from Killarney to Kenmare via Killarney National Park is very pretty). The Waters Edge B&B just outside of Kenmare is lovely and very reasonable (cash only).

Wed: Drive to Kinsale using Foley's route.

Thurs: Drive to Cork, turn in your car, and take a relaxing morning train ride to Dublin (three hours). Tour Dublin in the afternoon and evening.

Fri: If your flight to London leaves in the afternoon, you can see a bit more of Dublin in the morning.

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Has anyone seen the Ring of Beara and is it as nice as the Ring of Kerry?
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:51 PM

I've not yet been to Beara, only Kerry, but I've been told that both Beara and Dingle are just as beautiful, if not more so, than Kerry, with MUCH fewer tourists and touristy places. More wild, more peaceful, more solitude on both.

I'll be on Dingle and Kerry this summer (June) and will make sure to post my trip reports.

Congratulations!
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 02:41 AM

Yes Greendragon has done his/her research well. The Beara Peninsula lacks the grandeur of the Dingle pensula and the ring of Kerry. It is flatter,less developed/more remote but quite beautiful and wild.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 07:32 PM

I did the ROK in April of '99, clockwise, from Kenmare to Waterville, to Killarney. In April of '01, we drove Bearra. Both are truely impressive, in their own way, but the fact that you plan to be there in August, and the opportunity to drive the Healey Pass (and Caha, if you are continuing on to Kinsale), make the Bearra the hands down winner, in my book.
Bob