Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

help with 5 nights/days itinerary in Salzburg

Old Jul 15th, 2018, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family of 6 arrive in Salzburg 12/23.
We plan to roam the Christmas market on the 24th, have Christmas Eve dinner and attend Christmas Eve mass. The silent night tour sounds nice. Any opinions on the tour versus doing it ourselves? Any other ideas for Christmas Eve?
On the 25th we will see the other sights of Salzburg. I have been reading to see if there are any special events at that time. Any recommendations?
Next my family would like to experience sledding, tobogganing, maybe skiing. We are not great skiers but would love to hike and other mentioned snow activities. (Only my sons really want to ski).
We talked about daytrips to surrounding areas but given that we have 2 nights would it be advisable to move to a different area base more likely to have snow and allow for more activities and time to explore the area.
I have looked at Hallstatt direction, Kitzbühel direction, Ellmau, Seefeld and south of Salzburg to Berchtesgaden and am at a lost at where to go. I would love to hear anyone’s recommendations.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 10:04 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I can not help much with Salzburg except to suggest you note that both 25 and 26 December are holidays in Austria; as such you may encounter more closings than expected.

We have spent the week, or the better part thereof, between Christmas and New Years twice now in Seefeld specifically for its winter activities. We do not downhill ski, but instead enjoy the winter wandering and hiking, cross-country skiing, and tobogganing (plus, Innsbruck is a pretty train ride away for a day outing). Seefeld will be open and bustling during this week. The difficulty, though, may be in finding lodging.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two identical posts!