Help With 12 Nights in Croatia!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I used to be a VERY active member of this board, lately, not so much ANYWAY, normally I am much better organized, but it has benn a rough few months. I just booked round-trip air from NYC to Dubrovnik and will be in Croatia for 12 nights from the end of June into July.

Without having admittedly doing much research thus far, I am thinking 3 nights Dubrovnik, 3 nights Korcula, 3 nights in EITHER Hvar or Brac and 3 nights in Split.

I am in my early 30s and will be with my dad in his early 60s. We want a nice combination of time by the water and sightseeing. How would this best be organized? Are rental cars necessary? We fly in/out of Dubrovnik. Thanks for ANY thoughts, I need to get cracking!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:02 PM

Sounds like fun !
Here is a sneak preview. I would add a day to Dubrovnik and use it for a day trip to Kotor, Montenegro. Take the day from Split.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3882
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:13 PM

What do you like to do, drive or watch the scenary? The road from Dub to Split is gorgeous and VERY winding and slow. The bus is very pleasant and the bus station is about 100 steps from Diocletian's palace and all the sobes and hotels. Dubrovnik fun is centred in the Old Town and the bus service is great if you are staying outside the walls. Take ferries to the islands and bus around. Cars are more a nuisanace than a convenience on the Dalmation coast. What are you going to do with the car while you are inside the cities? I am not naysaying driving, just on the coast and in the cities. If you are going inland you could drive, but the buses are just great. We also liked the ferries and small boats.
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:20 PM

I would take a day from Korcula (3 is too many) and add it to Dubrovnik (3 is not enough).

I'd replace the 3 in Split with 3 on Istria. You pick the town, but I'd pick Rovinj.

In Dubrovnik, I took 2 day excursions; Montenegro (GREAT) and the Peljesec Wine tour (fun).
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM

Totally agree with grasshopper. If you are in the Split area I would suggest seeing Trogir instead. Istria is my favourite part of the country and I feel you would be missing out on so much not spending time there. To me it is the real and genuine Croatia. It is really easy to get away from tourists inland as well. If you do spend time in Istria renting a car would definitely be worthwhile.

There are so many suggestions/ideas that it will be hard for you to pick, I imagine. Whatever you choose you cannot go wrong in such a fabulous country!
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Would a car be at all useful on Korcula or Hvar? Or are all the best beaches/sites accessible by foot, ferry or water taxis? Since I am flying in/out of Dubrovnik, maybe I will do 2 nights in the beginiing & 2 in the end????
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM

I'm with everyone else: you don't want to spend 3 days in Split. I also agree that Trogir with a side trip to split is good, although Trogir itself is very small. A daytrip to Mostar in Bosnia would be a great option from Dubrovnik for sightseeing and I would encourage you to visit either Plitvice Park or Krka Park; each is very beautiful and would be a day well spent. I think you'd want a car to see either.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Is Split being advised as not being worth 3 nights because it's a "working city"? I love cities. But, I would like more swimming/time to relax on this trip.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 02:05 PM

It's sort of hard to explain - I guess it is pretty industrialized and less pretty of a city (generally speaking) than many others. Diocletian's Palace is interesting and the city itself is worth seeing. It is partially, too, that when you compare it to other spots (i.e. Trogir) and you are on a short vacation there are other more charming options.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM

I enjoyed Split but think you could do in a day or 2 in transit. I loved loved loved Hvar although in June July could be too crowded. No cars, just walking around, beach, piazza. I enjoyed Dubrovnik but personally found even in September a bit of a disneyland quality to it. Pick lodging carefully for location in Dubrovnik so you have nice views and can walk easily to action. We enjoyed day trip to Mlijet from Dubrovnik - my hubby enjoyed kayaking.

I always like having no car on vacation if possible and with a Dubrovnik then ferr to Korcula then ferry to Hvar then ferry to SPlit and leave you could have no car.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Hi, I enjoyed Split, but I think 1 day is enough. We were there 2 years ago, and unless it has changed, there aren't very many places to eat. The old town is very compact, and easy to tour in a day. Have fun on your trip, Croatia is beautiful!