Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Help with 09/08 Greek itinerary - add one day where? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/help-with-09-08-greek-itinerary-add-one-day-where-285961/)

deb52 Jan 17th, 2008 08:50 AM

Help with 09/08 Greek itinerary - add one day where?

I want to add one day to my current itinerary - which of the following places do you recommend? First trip to the islands. Current itinerary for September '08:

5 nights Rhodes (arriving from USA)
6 nights Crete
4 nights Santorini
4 nights Naxos
2 nights Athens

Also, I've read alot of posts that recommend waiting until you arrive in Greece to book ferry tickets for a May or June trip. Is this safe for a September trip also (Rhodes to Crete, Santorini to Naxos, Naxos to Athens)? Or should I book ferries ahead? Especially hope brotherleelove2004 and travelerjan have some input - you guys are terrific! Thanks.

travelerjan Jan 17th, 2008 09:45 AM

My feeling is -- add the day to Naxos or to Athens. Which one depends on what your 'passions' are....

-- Hiking, discovering small villages, swimming in the wonderful clear warm september seas off ag. Anna or Plaka, one more gorgeous sunset over the harborside..

OR--

-- having more time to explore the unparalleled ancent ruins of Athens, walking AROUND the base of the Acropolis on the pedestrianized walkway, Going up Philappapos (sp) hill to on the Pnyx exactly where Pericles stood (thrill thrill) and check out museums u never heard of, like Traditional Instruments (fREE) and LaLounis (5,000 years of fab jewelry design!).

It's really a win-win choice!!

brotherleelove2004 Jan 17th, 2008 09:45 AM

The only pre-booking I'd possibly do for this itinerary is Crete>Santorini, since the FlyingCat#4 is smaller than a regular car ferry and there will still be crowds in September. If you have time in the Athens airport when you first arrive just go into the Amphitrion Holidays travel office in the Main Hall to buy your tickets. That's all the advance time you'll need. Otherwise go into a travel agency on Rhodes that sells Hellenic Seaways tickets. They'll set you up.

If you are planning to rent a car on Crete then that's where I think you could best enjoy an extra day. It's a huge island and a car is really needed to explore it in depth.

WTnow Jan 17th, 2008 10:31 AM

I would add it to Santorini or if I added to Athens, i would take a day trip to Delphi which is very special, great views and peaceful, along with the historic & museum value.

Athens tends to be a very chaotic, hot, smoggy, full of traffic and crazy cab drivers and the fewest cross streets you have ever seen ( so often taking your life in your hands with the wild drivers) & intense city for most people ( who usually spend no more than two days there as the key things can be seen in that time), so keep that in mind.

Now if you love chaos, your mileage may vary. I have known people who love a week in Athens.

Odin Jan 18th, 2008 12:16 AM

Delphi is a good option from Athens, you can also take a day cruise around the Saronic Gulf (Poros Hydra Aegina), or go to the suburbs of Athens to the beach (Glyfada, Vouliagmeni etc) or a trip to Cape Sounion to the temple.